Struggling with thesis statement/topic sentences/conclusion; American Studies student

heyiamj 1 / -  
Hi!
I'm new here and I'm a first semester American Studies student at an university in Germany.
I'm badly struggling with topic sentences that link to my thesis statement. I need someone to proofread what I've worked out urgently. Thanks in advance!

(The question was why I would recommend the movie the Grand Budapest Hotel)

Thesis Statement:

The Grand Budapest Hotel is definitely worth seeing as it demonstrates the importance of connections as well as the possibility to make it to the top even when someone comes from nowhere; additionally, the story is told in a very pleasant and refreshing way.

Topic Sentence 1:

It is no secret that knowing the right people is a sure road to success, in that regard, the Grand Budapest Hotel reflects society as it reveals the significance of being connected and acquainted with many people.

Topic Sentence 2:

Society drills young people to go to college and graduate summa cum laude in order not to live on the street, the Grand Budapest Hotel is a counterexample and illustrates how an illegal immigrant makes it to the top.

Topic Sentence 3:

The second to none narrative style of the Grand Budapest Hotel mesmerizes the audience with ingenuity, creativity, and playfulness without overwhelming the watcher.

Conclusion:

The Grand Budapest Hotel is highly recommendable. It is a paragon of society as it highlights that strong contacts are an important factor for a successful life, at the same breath it gives society a wipe and proofs that someone who comes from nowhere can have a glorious career. The matchless narration style eases the seriousness of the movie's issues and provides a delightful movie experience.
lcturn87 - / 435 236  
I would be happy to assist you with your paper. The first and second topic seem to relate to your thesis statement. However, the first topic doesn't address how someone who comes from nothing makes it to the top. I am going to suggest combining topic sentence 1 and topic sentence 2 together. For example, what if the topic sentence reads: " The Grand Budapest Hotel reflects the viewpoint that knowing the right people is a sure road to success, because the movie depicts how an illegal immigrant makes it to the top with the help of others." This is just an example of how you can combine your thoughts to ensure you will discuss what is stated in your thesis statement.

I think you could revise the conclusion. Since the movie is something you are recommending to others, I would suggest stating:" I highly recommend seeing the Grand Budapest Hotel." I think you should describe contacts too. I think you mean strong social connections or a common expression that is now used is a strong "network". Wipe and proofs is confusing. Do you mean that the movie proves that someone can succeed in society, even if he or she comes from little means?

Hope this helps you!
Topic sentence 2:
- Society drillsgrills young people to go to college and
- graduate summa cum laudewith honors in order them not to live on the street,
- the Grand Budapest Hotel is a counterexampleabsolutely a contrary and illustrates...

Conclusion:
- The Grand Budapest Hotel is highly recommendablerecommended .
- It is a paragon of society as it highlights that strong contacts are an important to factor for a successful life,
- at the same breathtime it gives society a wipewhip and proofs..

Heyiamj, I can't remember how many time I watched this movie and believe me, the more I watch it, the more it make sense, it's one of those movies that I will not get tired of watching. The story is very strong and it drives the inner self in you to strive and not to give up in life, it makes you realize that life is a constant struggle and a rewarding chapter is always the end.

Your thesis is good enough to start with however I suggest that along with watching the movie, you also need to research on history, Germany, Budapest and Europe in general, then you integrate your research with the movie. I bet that will be a fantastic and commendable thesis.

Home / Essays / Struggling with thesis statement/topic sentences/conclusion; American Studies student