Topic explanation help - Schools don't teach the required skills?

maiquynhbui 1 / 2  
Schools do not teach the skills that students require once they leave school to establish a career. Only subjects applicable to the workplace should be taught at schools.

Can someone explain this topic for me?
The basic classes taught in school are reading, writing, math, social sciences, and science. Add to those classes lessons in language (English, Spanish, Grench, etc) and some classes in home economics, music, and shop (for schools that still have budgets for those programs) and you will see that the lessons taught in school only prepare us for the basics of the academic life. Nothing is taught about how to handle real world problems and experiences. Some high schools have AP classes that help lay the foundation for college level classes upon graduation, but not all schools over this. The essay is asking you if you think the schools should only stick to teaching the basics of if, aside from the basics, there should also be classes in career related classes. One way of approaching this is by considering whether more AP classes should be offered early on in high school. Or perhaps having high school age students attend technical or art schools that relate to their interests and potential future careers instead of wasting their time in regular high school. I hope I was able to help you understand the question. Feel free to ask clarification questions if you have to :-)
OP maiquynhbui 1 / 2  
Thank you so much for your help
Rhea97 2 / 8 2  
I think that this prompt is suggesting that you give reasons why school should inculcate skill based subjects that will help children to face problems of the adult world and will help them to carve out careers for themselves without necessarily having to go to college. The suggestion is that Schools include outdated subjects like languages such as Sanskrit or Latin which will not help a person in his/her career. Specialization such as these are suitable for further studies if the child wants to become a scholar of ancient languages. By the 8th standard schools should allow children to pick particular subjects pertaining to their interests that will equip them for life in the real world and out of the protected school environment. Upto this age it is good to give a general education where one learns the basis of each subject to help one to decide their interest. Hope this helps!

Home / Essays / Topic explanation help - Schools don't teach the required skills?