UT Transfer essay-Statement of Purpose-possible topics for the essay?

barefootmougli 2 / 2  
Hi, I'm currently thinking of a transfer to UT, and one of the essays required have this prompt:

Unfortunately, I have no idea what I could possibly write about. I come from a middle class family with no severe monetary issues, and I don't face any problems as an international student or anything.

I was first thinking of writing about how I tended to slack off in high school, and not getting admitted into my top choices was a result of that, and the shock led me to start working that much harder in college. Everytime I write it though, it's not very relatable; like, the reader doesn't feel much sympathy towards the person telling the story.

So I don't know whether I should stick to that idea, or write about something else, in which case what would I write about?

Why I want to transfer? (I like my school now, it's just the town I really can't stand. It's a bit too conservative for a bleeding liberal.) So I don't want to be bashing the college at all. It's a nice one.

I just-yeah. If anyone has seen this kind of prompt, and come from quite a fortunate background, could they please share how to address it?

:)
CherryPac18 10 / 29 1  
Why did you slack of in High School was there something going on in your life or were you just unmotivated? The prompt is basically like the additional information part of the Common App. They're just asking if there is anything that happened or that you been through that may have affected your performance.
OP barefootmougli 2 / 2  
I was just unmotivated; I never had to really study for anything, and still made As on the tests and exams. Unfortunately, projects and hw were a large percentage of our grades, and I never really did them like I should.

Basically, never studied, never did hw or put in work, simply because I'd never had to before.

(not something to really sympathize with :P )

Home / Essays / UT Transfer essay-Statement of Purpose-possible topics for the essay?