Trouble Getting Started on UC essay about my journey

Elbozonic 1 / 1  
Tell us about a personal quality, talent, accomplishment, contribution or
Experience that is important to you. What about this quality or accomplishment makes you proud and how does it relate to the person you are?

I am having trouble getting started on this essay. I am planning on writing a narrative essay on my journey up a mountain and how it was important to me. Should my introduction paragraph begin with saying what my accomplishment was and then explaining the story and how it was accomplishing? Or do I omit the introduction paragraph and explain my narrative story first, and then explain the accomplishments?
RiceFiend 1 / 6  
It is really up to you whether you choose to start with a introductory paragraph or begin with a narrative. Go with the option that better suits your writing style; this is your personal statement after all. As for further help, stick around for a response from Gloria. She is the premier essay counselor here (or so I think) : )
EF_Team5 - / 1,586  
Good evening :)

I agree with RiceFiend; the essay should flow from you the most natural and easy way for you. When you are writing, it isn't just the words and the subject that relay who you are and what kind of person you are, it is also your narrative style; the order of your words, your tone of voice, your structure. Try it both ways; see which one flows into the body of your essay best. Write the content (body) of the essay first, without an introduction or a conclusion; then write (independent of each other) the introduction you are thinking of and the narrative cap you have in mind. See which one flows easiest with the piece; it has been my experience that the first one you write is usually your natural stance, and you will probably end up going with that one. But, you won't know until you try it!

Best of luck!

Regards,
Gloria
Moderator, EssayForum.com
OP Elbozonic 1 / 1  
Thank you both :)

Home / Essays / Trouble Getting Started on UC essay about my journey