Victor Catala/ Caterina Albert, 'Solitude' Models of Masculinity

cherrycola 2 / 4  
Hello,

I am a university student currently studying English literature and Hispanic studies. and I am doing an essay on the representations of masculinity in the above Catalan book.

I am a bit stuck on how to start my essay... although the question is fairy simple. "Discuss the models of masculinity represented in Caterina Albert's Solitud. "

I was thinking maybe I could start of by defining what is meant by masculinity associated characteristics etc and then discuss how each character fits the criteria.

If you have any other suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks
kevin93 2 / 4  
maybe you start by defining what masculintiy is in general
The question sort of implies that the text contains more than one model of masculinity. So, if there are characters from different classes, ethnic groups, religious affiliations, etc., perhaps some of them subscribe to different views of what it means to be masculine. If so, you could compare and contrast them. Also, does what it means to be masculine change for the same character depending upon what situation he is in? So, is a man trying to be masculine when hanging out with the guys acting differently than he would if he were trying to be masculine hanging out with his girlfriend. If so, what does this imply about the nature of masculinity? I haven't read the text, so these are just guesses as to the approaches you could take, but they seem to be the most likely ones, based on the question.
Yes! And look online for good ways to write a "compare and contrast" essay, because you will do well if you compare and contrast, say, 3 or 4 "types" of masculinity as they are portrayed by various characters. And as you apply Sean's excellent advice, don't overlook that important point made by Kevin93: you can write a thorough essay if you cover the many aspects of this abstract term, "masculinity."
OP cherrycola 2 / 4  
Dear all,

Thank you for responses! I am surprised that I actually got a response however since it is a foreign book.

I am considering your advise and will base my essay on it. At the moment it is going very slowly...

Thanks!

Home / Essays / Victor Catala/ Caterina Albert, 'Solitude' Models of Masculinity