Can I write about my financial conditions in the additional section of the commonapp?

akshat1 1 / -  
Please provide an answer below if you wish to provide details of circumstances or qualifications not reflected in the application. You may enter up to 650 words.

Will it be all right to mention that I came from a family which did not have a lot of money and as a result I realized the importance of education?

Also, can I mention that I did a project for Google Science Fair which did not get selected, but I learned a lot from that project and figured out what i wanted to do with my life?

If the answer is yes for the first question, I am planning to write something like the following:
essayforum.com/undergraduate/family-taiwan-financial-situation-additional-25479/
Akshat, you can definitely mention the lack of finances in your family and the Google project that you did. However, since you only have 600 words with which to present your story, I think that it would be in your best interest to choose only one of the two topics that you wish to discuss. It is important that you use the 600 words to properly present your situation in order to create the correct impression with the reviewer. Remember, this is an interview and you will be pleading your case, so don't try to present two pieces of information with an under developed discussion supporting it. Choose the story that you feel will best help improve your chances for admission and then concentrate on developing that story to your benefit within 600 words.

if you choose to discuss the financial aspect of your life, then don't dwell too much on your parent's background. Don't try to make yourself seem too pitiful either. Instead, focus on using the financial constraints of your family as the basis for your desire to finish college. Let the reviewer know that even though your family may be financially strapped, you will do whatever it takes to get your college education because you do not want to remain cash strapped all your life. Explain that you equate college with a job and therefore, a better financial future for yourself and your family.

Should you opt to discuss the Google project, remember to concentrate on the fact that it helped you discover what career path you want for yourself. Just make the fact that it was not chosen at the science fair a mere mention, almost like an afterthought. Don't make the reviewer read more than he should about your failure with that project. That should not be the aim of your response. Rather, explain how the fact that you were not chosen was a blessing because it helped you learn what career path you want to go down in your life.

Your best interest in any essay is always served by the most effective discussion that you can develop. So take your time to choose which of the two will best suit your needs and interests. Don't deliver a half-baked story. Make sure the story counts towards positive points in your application.
Well Akshat, the answer is yes, you can write something like the essay but be careful not to copy the same exact words or something like that, make sure that you just keep this essay to give you an idea of how it's going to run and how your essay is to be written.

This time around, you have a prompt to follow so make sure that you respond to the prompt accordingly.
Also, make sure that your prompt is not something like a blame game, it should always have the moving forward attitude and the conviction like the way you are, always look at the brighter side of things, the lessons you learned and incorporate all this in the essay.

Furthermore, include all the necessary academic achievements that you have, you mentioned about a Google project that failed, this is fine, they will look at it as you trying all the best that you can to succeed amidst failure and financial difficulties.

I hope to read you essay here on EF so we can assist you further.

Home / Essays / Can I write about my financial conditions in the additional section of the commonapp?