Home / Essays   % width NEW!

Writing Pro-Con Essays about same sex marriages.

EF_Team [Moderator] 41 / 222 15  
What cons are there for same-sex marriages? What are the pros for approving same sex marriage? These are the types of issues that pro - con essays answer. Almost any issue about life has both pros and cons. These essays are actually persuasive essays giving both sides of an issue. Why would you support the presidential candidate of John Kerry? Why did President Bush start the Arabic War? Basically, the pro - con essays look at both sides of the issue but it takes one side over the other one.

Begin a pro - con essay with brainstorming all the ideas and facts you know about the issue? What do you think about the issue? What would you like to know about the issue? What is important? Why do you favor one side over the other? The next step is to research the pros and cons of the issue. Write down facts about the issue with citation of these facts. Take a sheet of paper and write down all the pros you found during the research. On the other side of the paper write down all the cons you found. Which side of the issue will you take when writing the essay?

Go over the research material again. Identify the main pros and cons of the issue. Use these to form a thesis statement. Divide these arguments into those that are for your issue and those that are not for your side of the issue. Make an outline using the main pros and cons of the issue.

Use an anecdote, statistic, fact, or quotation to grab your reader as you write the introduction of the topic. Create your thesis statement explaining why you are taking the side of the issue you are choosing. What is your thesis? What will be your supporting arguments? Have you decided which point of view to use? Do you have sources backing both pros and cons of the issue?

Write the main points of the argument in a rough draft of the body of the essay. Consider both the pros and the cons. Consider each of the body paragraphs and ask yourself if you have a main topic statement for each paragraph? Did you use transitions from one paragraph to another? Do your paragraphs presents arguments that oppose your side of the issue? Have you repudiated these? Do your paragraphs state why you have taken one side over the other? Have you used active verbs stating why you have chosen the side of the issue and why it is important to you? Rewrite the body of the essay to make any needed changes.

Now write the conclusion of the essay. Summarize the material giving a precise reason for taking the point of view you chose. Give a take away to the audience that will keep them thinking.

Put your essay away for at least 24 hours. Try not to even think about the essay. It is important to let the "writer" side of the essay go. Now let the "proofreader" look at the essay. Read the essay out loud.

Do your paragraphs present logical arguments that explain why you oppose the topic? Do your paragraphs explain why you are in favor of the topic? Have you clearly stated why you went from opposing or supporting the topic to a specific way of explaining your point of view? Have you provided strong support for your premise? Are your verbs active? Is every sentence a complete sentence or do you have fragments? Have you checked your spelling? Do you have any grammar mistakes? Reread the essay to check for further mistakes.

Ask a friend to read your essay. Have him/her check for any grammatical errors or spelling mistakes. Rewrite your essay. Read the essay out loud to check for any errors.

Have you cited every source used in the essay? Have you plagiarized? Check for proper citation of your sources. Reread the essay as you check for any more errors. Now you have a great persuasive or pros - cons essay.

EssayForum.com

Home / Essays / Writing Pro-Con Essays about same sex marriages.