Writing SOP without relevant work experience and 9 years after college graduation (BSc in geology)

tourmaline 1 / 2  
Hi Guys, I am new here and I really love this forum. I need your help concerning my SOP, it is due this Friday. I graduated from college in 2006 with a BSc in geology and have been nursing the dream of a masters degree but i have financial constraints. Do I include this in my SOP because that's like 9 years? though i have been working in a financial institution.
lcturn87 - / 435 236  
I can help answer your question.

If you write your SOP and anticipate a favorable answer, you should show concern about financial constraints. Yet, if this happened nine years ago then you should focus on your current situation. There are other concerns that are stated in an SOP, such as bad grades. Also, other concerns may be addressed.

For example, I noticed that you have a gap in schooling. You could discuss why this gap exists in your SOP. Here are some questions to think about that can help you as you begin to write:

1)Why are you interested in the field you have chosen to study?
2) What were you doing after you obtained your degree (i.e. financial institution)?
2)What skills do you use on your job that will help you transition to a graduate program?
4)Why did you choose this university?
5)How will this university help you succeed?
6)What are your future plans?
@tourmaline, I agree with @Icturn87, given the fact that the financial issue happened several years, it's not worth mentioning in the essay.
Plus the fact that you're working on it. what you have to include in your SOP are the following;

- your academic skills
- academic achievements
- work experience and expertise
- how did you manage to choose such a course
- where does this masters lead you
- when granted, what can you do to serve the institution and the community as a whole
- lastly, what personal and lifelong achievement will this masters mean to you

This are just a few guidelines that will hopefully help out in creating your SOP.
When you're done, I hope you will have time to post it here on EF so we can help you further.
OP tourmaline 1 / 2  
Hi, thank you Guys for your contribution.
OP tourmaline 1 / 2  
Hi, thank you Guys for your contribution. here is a draft of the SOP. Also, can i use same SOP for two courses in same department? ,like i am applying to same dept in a school for both Structural Geology with geophysics and Exploration Geophysics.

Determination, perseverance and hard work are the three words that can best be used to describe me. These attributes were developed in me when I was growing up and as I journeyed through life. My father taught me mathematics, geography and map-reading. He made sure I got the answer to every problem correct or I had to start reading from the beginning. Hence, I developed a likeness for numbers and calculations.

Studying geology at undergraduate level opened my eyes to different courses like: Geochemistry, Geophysics, Structural geology, Paleontology, Petrology, Stratigraphy, Palynology, Remote sensing and photo-geology, Engineering geology, to mention a few . But of all the courses, Geophysics appealed to me being a blend of mathematics, physics and geology and also the fact that calculations are used in obtaining and analyzing results of information got from the earth.

After graduating from the university, applying for a masters' degree was not possible because of financial constraints. So, I decided to send my applications to the various oil and gas, and, oil servicing companies around but, my applications were fruitless. Then, I took a job at a financial institution where I worked as a money transfer officer. Though the experience I garnered is not geophysics related, I developed skills such as: being able to work and deliver results under intense pressure, communication and presentation skills, teamwork, and being able to work around situations and ensure that any issue is resolved before escalating. Also, I was able to hone my numeracy skills. Meanwhile, the passion to study Geophysics keeps burning in me as I made sure that my free time is used to study to keep the knowledge alive until it will be needed. I believe these skills will be useful during my masters' degree programme.

After thoroughly researching the various universities, and going through the course modules available on the School of Earth and Environment section on the website, I am convinced beyond doubt that studying Structural Geology with Geophysics at the University of Leeds will equip me with superior knowledge that will give the much needed boost in a competitive environment.

I intend to work with oil companies after completing my masters' degree programme , so that I can work with what I have learnt, and hopefully, a doctorate degree in geophysics will be next . Also, I intend on the long run to be a consultant, a practicing geophysicist and also I would love to lecture.

I look forward to a favorable response from the committee and I will be delighted to be a part of the Structural geology with Geophysics class.

Home / Essays / Writing SOP without relevant work experience and 9 years after college graduation (BSc in geology)