Home / Faq, Help % width Posts: 103

Question about EssayForum - How does this site work?

sevde 1 / -  
can i ask a question?? i joined thıs sıte now but i couldn't understand the purpose of this sight. For example if i send my essay here, would you check it for me?????
If you post your essay here, then yes, other members and the moderators will post comments on it. You are not allowed, though, to simply post your work in other people's threads -- you must start your own. The general rule is that each new work needs its own thread. You can earn the right to start new threads by leaving helpful comments on other people's work. Every two comments left gives you the ability to create one new thread.
Yes, but the first thread is free! That is, after you post your first question, you have to give some people some feedback about how their writing affected you, and any suggestions you think of. You used your free thread here, I think, so now you have to go help a few members! :) Thanks for joining EssayForum. I look forward to collaborating with you!
jerry 17 / 10  
The purpose of this site lies in its own name: essayforum. If you have an essay, you should post it here in order to receive comments.
ttc1234 4 / 6  
This site is really amazing...i am able to get help on my essay, in terms of spelling, and grammar, as well as organization.
Notoman 20 / 419  
I have just stumbled onto this site and I am looking forward to taking part. I feel like I will be able to benefit from feedback on my own writing as well as by looking at what others are writing.
florazhou 5 / 24  
yes, all for one and one for all!

we can help with each other ,to improve the ability of writing English essay!

\(^o^)/
Yes, that's what I always say -- and writing well in English may not be as difficult as some ESL students think. Rhythm, in writing, is more important than big vocabulary. Rhythm is not affected by language barriers.
Depends on the languages involved, I should think. A lot of people struggle with meter in poetry, even if they are native speakers of the language they are writing in. Rhythm in prose can be even more difficult, because in addition to the flow of sounds, you have the flow of grammar, which requires knowledge of how to manipulate clauses. Still, this just makes collaboration and revision even more important.
babydoll 8 / 39  
Actually this site help me in many ways to overcome my barriers such as grammatical issues, organization, and preparation. Now, I'm preparing myself in taking course in Critical Thinking, but don't know if I'm ready though.
florazhou 5 / 24  
I get a lots of help in this Forum!
Notoman 20 / 419  
I had another question . . .

If I have a teacher that uses a plagiarism-detection service, will posting my essays here send up a red flag in the software?
zowzow 10 / 175  
@notoman

that is why we ask you to have your full name written down so when they do find your essay posted here for us to correct, they will know who the essay belongs to. And if someone else copies your essay, you could use this site's date and name system to show that the orignal writer is yourself and not of others.
Yes, Marcell said what I was going to say. Anyone who finds your essay here can see your name next to it along with the date you posted it.
hicckups 2 / 2  
yes, this site is very helpful. you can post your essay and someone will respond
newsha31 19 / 75  
let me tell u this way: this website saved my life!
haha, but seriously its great. you can post ur essay or ur piece of writing, ppl would check it for u, or they would just say their ideas about it...

simply great!
babydoll 8 / 39  
Actually this site has help me come up with my own ideas from overview essays here. It prevented me from having writers block. Besides essays here, I also use the resources available to myself on campus like the writing center when it fits my schedule. When other resources don't fit, I place my essay here so I can meet my deadlines.
adalumi 5 / 13  
very, very,very helpful...thank you so much guys.
binu 1 / 8  
This site is very helpful. I learned a lot form this site.
newsha31 19 / 75  
Its pretty easy to work with this website. you usually get a review after a day. and most of them are rigth.
lucychang - / 1  
Hello everyone.
Indeed "Sharing" is a great opportunity for learning.
I look forward to healthy interaction on this forum.
Cheers.
sydney32 1 / 7  
High School Student Having Troubles in English Class

Ok, so this year I got a really hard teacher for English and I didn't realize how bad I was at English until I had this teacher. So basically I registered here hoping for some extra help to improve my writing and proof read hopefully. For my first writing assignment I got 60% and I just recieved my second writing assignment and I recieved a 65%. Very disappointing a big big fail in my family

Is this a good forum to help me achieve my goals?
qaz419 1 / 3  
yes I believe that this forum will contribute significantly
to your writng ability if you use it wisely
However, since this forum is based on give-and-take system,
you should also expect to contribute to the forum by
sharing your legitimate thoughts on other essays that are not of your own
Anyways, good luck :)
sydney32 1 / 7  
I think I should of just read the FAQs in the first place.

Anyways I need some help on some mistakes I have made.

On my essay I wrote

1)"Each time he thinks about their misery is like a stab in the heart that never ends"

My teacher's feedback was : "The heart never ends? Modifier error"

2) Carlos slowly walks toward the train entrance"

teacher fb: crossed out "toward" and put "to"

im dont really understand my teacher, is he being picky or what because he kept writing word choice errors all over my essay.

I also need some help on "awkward expressions" which I tend to do alot but I dont notice them.

here's an example from my essay: "he comes to an agreement to himself"
tan1800 1 / 4  
I'm learning as well. So i guess I can give you some of my thoughts.

Your mistake is having ambiguous terms in your sentence.

I would have written like this: Each time he thinks about their misery, he feels as if a series of never ending stabs pierce his heart.

2) Carlos slowly walks toward the train entrance
I'm not sure about this as I would have used "towards" instead of "to".

"he comes to an agreement to himself"
As for this one, I don't know what exactly do you mean.
Is this something like "he agrees to his own principles"?

Lets learn together. =)
meisj0n 8 / 272 2  
When I got my first paper back in sophomore year, got a very disappointing grade.. teacher didnt like "fluff" in our essays, wanted more thematic analysis, more "digging with shovels" about the ideas on hand. Good luck with your class!

note that when you read this, "that never ends" is modifying heart because it is the closest to that noun/object in the sentence. I confess I do that sometimes too. similar problem with modifiers commas too. for example: I wanted to go to the beach, dressed in my shorts. dressed in my shorts modifies me, not the beach, but it's misplaced..therefore error.

2)"Carlos slowly walks toward the train entrance"
even writing "walks towards" is awkward. I think your teaching is being picky, but if you want to use towards, "Carlos walks slowly towards the train entrance" sounds a tad better. to can be used in either way.

"he comes to an agreement to himself"
It's strange in no context to analyze this sentence. He comes to an agreement with himself. that might work. but nothing wrong other than that. just make sure when you use him/herself, that you use it correctly.
sys2e - / 1  
Website for helping bad essay writers to excel

Writing is another form of self expression,. By reading your essays, people get to know a speck of your personality, mind set, culture, religious affiliation, and etc. As an artist paints a self portrait, you invest your personality in your essay.

My name is Stanislav, I am running a website called essay forums . This project is dedicated to point out the obvious to a bad essay writer and encourage them to seek improvement. On this website you will find hilarious and crazy essays for your entertainment. The main goal with this website is not to poke fun of lack of writing skills, but to influence the writer for better output.
It sounds like you are in the right place if you are interested in helping people collaborate to improve their writing!

I apologize! I deleted your link you your website out of habit, because ordinarily we do not let people advertise here, but maybe it is okay to link people to your site here in the "Student Talk" category.

Please provide that link to your site again, and we will see if it is okay to keep it here. I look forward to visiting your site.
starzia 3 / 6  
I have similar situation with you. I am an international student, who attend in U.S. high school.
I got a good grade when I was 10th grade, but I transferred to here, English teachers are more tough than previous school.

But, You should visit your teacher, after your class. Your teacher will be happy to help with you. And, they will suggest something that can be improving your grade.

Hopefully, It will be helpful : )
Keng 39 / 134  
Before studying in USA, you have to prepare yourself and make sure that your english is strong enough to do projects and write an essay.

Basically, people who ace a high score on toefl ibt always know how to use English effectively.

The education system in my country is not so strict that his students are always poor in their study. They do not know even how to speak English with correct grammar rules.

However, when moving to USA, this is the big problem. Although taking the toefl exam, some of them find English difficult and seldom adapt themself to the american education system.

This is the enigma of my country.
Keng 39 / 134  
For me, i count on essayforum becasue i am able to improve the writng skill so that i can correct the drawbacks that happen with the essay.

I am going to take an toefl essay next year. I really appreciate a lot of feedback that i have received from essayforum to improve my writing skill
Christinasha07 1 / 10  
Essay Forum is definitely a great site to improve on essays. People check your essays and give their advice about your work and in the end you choose what you want to do. It's great.
autumnwave 11 / 35  
Don't worry about hard teacher, you'll be successful if you try.
shakeela kasi - / 8  
i love english. and wanna be at home in english wriittng. my english is not very good i need help. i wanna get good grades in english.in mi last test my teacger was very disaapointed whn i did not secure good marks in the final test. i get just passing marks. i was the student who just pass the test. although i get good grades in science subject.

so i dot wanna repeat all these in my next test. so i join this forum with tht hope that my english writtng will be improved inshAllah.

thnx
yang 2 / 313  
i'd say this forum will help tremendously if you use it a lot and "interact" with your editors

also, becoming a contributor is a great way to help and to receive help. writing can be easily improved through reading a lot of essays, and this forum provides just that.
Keng 39 / 134  
I agree that reading news on the internet can help you write better english.

Two years ago, my writing skill is bad, i got D of literature subject.

Therefore, i decided to take a stand on working hard by starting reading English newspapers which use simple understandable language.

I have done it for half two years. Today, i find it easy to write the essay.

The only thing that is difficult for me is brainstorming process and technical lexicons or words.

Do you have any ideas to solve these problems?
yang 2 / 313  

i think that reading essay helps the brainstorming process. i mean, you begin to absorb styles after reading a lot, and develop your own. so basically, after awhile, you'll be really good when it comes to some topics

as for words, i usually find an easy word that embodies my idea, then use thesaurus to find a better word. SAT vocab study is very helpful as well.
Notoman 20 / 419  
Hi Sydney32! Welcome to essayforum.

Yes, I think that this is a *very* good place to help you to understand some of the types of errors that you have. Others already explained why your teacher marked the things that he did, but I will do it again anyway. Sometimes hearing the same thing in a slightly different way helps people to understand better.

Make this into a nonsense sentence with similar elements so you can see what "never ends" is modifying. Each time he thinks about their ice cream is like an icicle in the eye that never ends. It sounds like it is the eye that is never ending because it is the noun that is closest to the modifier. Here is another example: The army has developed a new bullet-proof vest for soldiers made of plastic. In this sentence, it looks like the soldiers, and not the vest, are made of plastic.

This one is a little pickier on your teacher's part. Generally speaking, "toward" is a direction while "to" is a destination. Think of it this way ... you ask your teacher if you can go to the bathroom, not toward the bathroom.

It is difficult to have a picky teacher, but pay attention and you will learn lessons that stick with you for life. It is hard to comment without seeing what he wrote! If you'd like to post more, I'd be happy to see if I could explain something.

"Himself" is what we call a reflexive pronoun. It describes an action that a person does to himself. You can bathe yourself, you can beat yourself up. I'd have to see the whole sentence. If he is indeed making a pact with himself, then we would use the word "with" instead of "to." This is tricky stuff! A person could talk to himself or he could talk with himself. He could send a letter to himself, but he could not send a letter with himself. I think because it take two people to make an agreement (even though there is only one person here--he still is agreeing between two divergent thoughts), we have to use "with." Besides, it just, uhhhh, sound right, *grin*

Try not to get discouraged. I agree with the poster who said you should try to talk with the teacher. The teacher will be able to explain things much better in a face-to-face conversation. Good luck with it!
shakeela kasi - / 8  
hi

can u suggest what kind of books should i read. nd it will be very good for me if u teii me about the anme of the books and news papaer. is there any other website which help me in developing writtng skills. plesa if thre any please let me know. iam waitng here fro ur reply.

shakeela
jbrown09 3 / 18  
He's right on this one, this sentence doesn't make much sense. Theres some ambiguous terms in this sentence.

This is getting really picky..I think you can write it either way.

This is a great place to learn, get help, and help others!

Home / Faq, Help / Question about EssayForum - How does this site work?