Home / Graduate   % width NEW!

"my academic background and industrial experience" - SOP FOR ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING.

gre20101028 1 / -  
I have just uploaded my statement for purpose for phd study in electrical and mechanical engineering, I don't really like it but I am not sure what's wrong with it.So any opinions from you guys will be helpful,thank you.

My purpose of applying to XX University for graduate studies is to prepare myself for further a PHD program in the field of electrical and mechanical engineering, specifically on control systems or on nanoscale systems. Due to my academic background and industrial experience, I am confident that I possess the core abilities to succeed in this field.

The first time nanotechnology captivated my attention was during a research program: My group and I were working on the use of tissue engineering in hip joint replacement under the guidance of Professor XX from the University of XX. I was fascinated by the quantum phenomena systems displayed at nanoscale. The spark nurtured into deep interest when I looked into more discoveries and applications in the field of nanotechnology. I am fully convinced that, unlike nanotechnology destined for transplantation, which require more functional and biomechanical stability before clinical trial on human starts. The use of complex systems at the nanoscale level could lead to revolutionary advances in technology in the near future.

My academic background would also fit in well for the requirement of collective knowledge to solve the problems in nanoscale. I have been awarded scholarship for student with distinction for my undergraduate degree in the University of XX. During my four years' study in Electrical and Mechanical Engineering, I gained a solid foundation in a wide range of subjects from fluid mechanics, dynamics, and thermodynamics to analogue& digital circuit and signal processing. I have had plenty of experience working with software like MATLAB and AutoCAD for research projects and design works. And, in order to gain an in depth understanding of the intersection of electrical and mechanical engineering, I undertook extra courses in physics and chemistry.

As working under industrial or research environment would be essential to gain in-depth understanding of theoretical study. I gained considerable industrial training having worked six months in a local company. This machinery manufacturing company majors in manufacturing heat exchangers for co-operations like GE and Caterpillar. During my internship I participated in testing and experiments for the improvement of current thermal performances of heat exchangers. This work has given me quite an insightful knowledge of how to work in an industrial environment and how to best communicate with other team members. Also it made me to realize that working with top intellectuals would bring the best out of me.

Invited by Professor XX, I joined a research program with a group of PhDs on fuel cell in Microsystems Research Centre located inXX. With my knowledge on both discipline I designed an automated temperature control block for their methanol fuel cell which heat up the infused fuel to 80 degrees centigrade with a precision better than 1 degree centigrade. This temperature control system is made with double stainless steel pipes in a spiral shape located in 3 thin layers of brass plates heated by 4 pieces of semiconductor coolers connected to pwm controller. This design enables the fuel to heat up to the required temperature within 90 seconds with only half the size compares to the original one. This research project has helped in polishing my understanding on the intersection of electrical and mechanical and gave me a perfect opportunity to work in a competitive research environment with fellow students.

Influenced by my parents who are both very successful engineers, to be an engineer is my life long dream and the desire of being at the forefront of the pioneering developments is what I have been devoting my life into. Ever since I was young and was still playing with bombs and batteries, making toys such as an alarm that once my parents stepped into my room it would sound, I have been dreaming about one day I could actually handle real sophisticated experimental facilities and make inventions that change every one's life. I have found my past 22 years content and pleasant studying engineering. Whenever I look back, those memories that first came into my mind was the moment I saw clear steady images displayed on the composite video monitor I designed. Those times during power systems design contest when my friend and I came home from the library at 2am still arguing about some calculation of the power generator efficiency. I know clearly that what I have chosen is what I want to do with my life, and the best way to realize my goal is to pursue a PhD program in a top rated research institution.

Home / Graduate / "my academic background and industrial experience" - SOP FOR ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING.