An accountant - Statement of Purpose for applying Master

Heinna10 3 / 9 2  

sop for Msc Accounting, Governance and Financial Management

Hi all, I am applying for Msc Accounting, Governance and Financial Management in University of XXX. This is my Statement of Purpose. Please help me to review this essay. I really need advice in the whole content. Thank you in advance

Please type in or upload a statement in support of your application (min. 300 words).
Among the things you may wish to include are:
·why you are applying for this course
·how your previous education and experience relates to this course of study
·how this course fits into your long-term academic or career plans

My experience as an accountant for more than five years has made me realize that competitiveness and sustainability are key to a company's success. In order to maximize my role in business, I want to develop my career in business sustainability. Companies need to consider not only profit but also the interest of stakeholders, environment and society to sustain themselves in this globalized economy. One important tool to meet such a need is a corporate governance. A system or procedure of how company is governed to increase the confidence of investors and society and to deliver success in the long run. Furthermore, good governance will also create conducive investment climate and promote economic growth. Organizations in (Y country) face a great challenge of practicing good corporate governance, as many assume that such is the domain of only public-listed companies. This issue has inspired me to become a champion for corporate governance and it should be practiced widely to help companies leverage sustainability to increase their financial performance.

For this reason, I would like to apply for a Msc degree in Accounting, Governance and Financial Management at the University of XXX. This programme offers a complex structure of financial management aspect of corporate governance in diverse organizations. Besides a theory-led approach, it also provides practical based modules through seminars, group-projects and real-life case studies of both corporate governance and financial management which will best suit my career-goals. My undergraduate experience, I believe has provided me with a solid foundation of accounting, economic and finance. My professional experience has introduced me to the concept of business sustainability that is intertwined with the accounting dimension of a business and sustainable management and corporate finance. During my graduate degree, I would like to gain broader knowledge of International Corporate Governance, under the supervision of Professor ABC, a lecturer and researcher who discusses all aspects of corporate governance, accountability and sustainability issues in accounting and financial management. I believe through her knowledge and experience, I will benefit my future career.

In the last two years, I have attended tax course which studied about tax planning, tax regulation, tax practice and tax report. Through this lesson, I achieved broadly the understanding of issues and problem solving in tax implementation of business which also will affect to organizational decision-making. During my job-career, I have been working as an accountant and tax supervisor who has responsibility of financial function, financial performance and tax planning for monthly tax report. Aside than my main job description as an accountant, I am also responsible for the function of inventory control. As a controller, I have found that inventory control is an important thing in business operational which is intertwined with profitability and company performance. Applying inventory control inefficiently will lead to either understocking or overstocking. Understocking will run risk of missing out favorable prices; in occasion, company can secure better price by buying sooner rather than later. In addition, it will reduce company credibility in consumer insight because of late services. Buying too much inventory also will tie up cash in inventory that will not be used in long term. Moreover, overstocking could result damage because of storing inventory in long time. I feel enthusiastic that with my knowledge, professional experience, academic rigor from graduate degree and my passion for business sustainability development in (Y country) will enable me to reach my aspiration.

If I am granted the opportunity to study Msc Accounting, Governance and Financial Management at University of XXX, upon graduation, I am confidently able to implement and promote corporate governance framework and evaluate effectively policies and procedures of the company I will work. Furthermore, the understanding of combination knowledge of accounting, corporate governance and financial management will benefit me to tackle business issues related to financial performance and business sustainability and find problem solving. For long-term career, my graduate degree will also effectively boost my professional career as a business sustainability specialist. I will help diverse businesses in (Y country) and promote innovative and sustainable solution for business long-term goals to attain sustainability.
Elen, while the first paragraph somewhat responds to one of the questions, the rest of the essay does not really enlighten the reviewer regarding important information that will be used to consider your application. I think it will be best for me to approach your errors through an outline form. I will be using a Q&A guide to show you what parts of your essay need to be adjusted to suit the prompt requirements. Let's get started.

1. why you are applying for this course
- Your total response in paragraph 2 is sufficient for a response to this question. You must only revise it to take on the form of an opening statement to make it more effective and relevant to its new placement in the revised essay. You could take the opening sentence from the current first paragraph and use that as the opening sentence for the current second paragraph essay. That way you create a comprehensive opening statement in relation to the question being asked.

2. how your previous education and experience relates to this course of study
- The response you gave is too vague. The proper answer should be divided into 3 paragraphs. The first paragraph should be a summary of your college studies, accomplishments during this time, and practicum experiences that are relevant to your course of masters study. Be clear about the relationship of your undergraduate studies to your current profession and its consideration as a foundation / background for your ability to complete the masters course. Discussing how you performed and what grades you got in courses directly relevant to the masters course curriculum will help better inform the reviewer.

- Paragraph 3 should be inserted before the professional discussion as that paragraph refers to your continuing education within your profession. This proves that you have a solid preliminary education in relation to your chosen masters course. As always referring to your continuing education performance in relation to further academic enlightenment will help further boost your motivation for advanced studies and skills development.

- Your professional background needs to focus on specific skill sets that you have which will prove a familiarity with the basis of the course objectives and also display a potential for future application of your masters course. This should be longer and more informative than the educational experience paragraph.

3. how this course fits into your long-term academic or career plans
- You lack a proper discussion of your long term academic or career plans. Just as with the previous experience, these should be discussed separately, with more attention paid to the future career plans and how this course will help you prepare to achieve those goals.

What you currently have is a draft that offers you the opportunity to further strengthen your application presentation. I hope that by using the outline above, you will be able to do exactly that. I wish you the best of luck with your application.

Home / Graduate / An accountant - Statement of Purpose for applying Master