Advanced Computer Architecture / Electronic Devices - Review SOP for MS in VLSI

npkul 1 / 1  
The last two decades has seen a massive increase in the number of electronic devices.This has led to advancement of devices , which have become capable of running complex tasks and high-end multimedia applications.For the running of these devices, the power minimization, both at the architectural level and algorithmic level, is an active area of research. Conventional methods such as scaling of operating voltage is resulting timing errors and other drawbacks, which are hampering the proper functioning of devices.It is now necessary to look at alternate technologies that might achieve the same goal without the trade-offs. My field of interest is VLSI and I am particularly interested in the development of low power design techniques and algorithms for electronic systems.

The courses and the projects that I finished in my undergrad at National Institute of Technology , have helped me a build a strong foundation in Electronics.I wish to apply this knowledge and work on projects that make significant contribution to the scientific community.I hope to be under the guidance of and in company of individuals, who are renowned for their talents and technical acumen.

I was naturally inclined to courses that required logical thinking and solving problems using it. As a consequence of which ,I did well in subjects such as 'Digital Electronics and Computer Architecture' in my third semester.It was in my fifth semester that I was introduced to 'VLSI Design' as a subject . It piqued my interest in Electronics as we implemented the layouts of various ALU parts on 'Magic' and then simulated them on 'Irsim'.To follow it up , I took an elective course on 'Low Power VLSI Design' in my eighth semester ,in which I learnt about Parallel processing ,pipelining and also, about power and performance management in Digital VLSI systems.

Apart from the aforementioned courses,I had also credited courses such as 'Advanced Computer Architecture' in which topics ranging from branch prediction to cache implementation in multi-core processors were taught.This course also had a project component where we implemented a MIPS processor with a five stage pipeline.These ,I feel, have helped me understand the complexities involved in processor design and appreciate the hard work that goes in it.

For my major project,I developed a method to generate 3D model of real life objects using a stereo camera(Minoru webcam).With the help of OpenCv libraries and Semi-Global Block Matching ,we were able to generate a 3D point cloud from the stereo images. We joined the point clouds to generate a complete 3D model using Iterative Closest Point method.This project gave me a deeper understanding of image processing techniques and how they are implemented.

Apart from academics , I was a member of the Table Tennis team in school and college. I have participated in various local and state level tournaments. We came Runners Up in the Inter Collegiate Tournament ,for the past two years.

Currently ,I am working in a software company as a developer.This exposure to programming will help me in understanding the development cycle of software products.

I firmly believe that I am fully equipped with technical aptitude ,and have the resilience and dedication,that is required while pursuing a Master's Degree at a prestigious institute such as yours.
Hi Neeraj ! I noticed that you did not develop your work experience at the software company. Why did you shy away from discussing that? That portion is actually the most important part of your essay. It should be way up in the introduction part and fully developed to give the reviewer an idea as to your professional growth at the moment. Introduce that background as the basis for your interest in higher studies. Use it to gain the interest of the reviewer. Right now, the introduction is the weakest part of your essay.

Can you revise the introduction to your essay? It really sounds like you are trying to lecture the reviewer regarding information that he already knows about technology and electronic devices. Reviewers of this caliber do not really appreciate being talked down to, which is what your introduction ends up doing. I suggest that you open the statement with a stronger motivation for your interest in the course. Perhaps, you can mention highlights from your professional career at the moment to indicate that all too necessary motivation to apply for admittance in this course of study?

While anybody can appreciate your extensive college background in electronics, what the reviewer will be more impressed with would be any reference that you can make to any seminars or training courses that you more recently attended in relation to your current profession. Again, this is because the reviewer is looking for a solid direction with regards to your career path. Those seminars will tell him that you are a serious professional with the work experience to support your desire to seek and achieve greater things during your career.

I understand that you are proud of your college credentials. However, as a masters degree student, it is understood that you have some sort of professional background and/or career plan at this point that has led you to seek further studies. Your professional prowess, any successful professional activities you have undertaken, will impress the reviewer far more than the litany of college level accomplishments that you have right now. Show off your potential as a professional, don't bank on your past glory days. You will be studying far more complicated lessons now so you have to prove your professional and intellectual maturity for these vastly higher levels of study and training.

Avoid mentioning anything in your SOP that will not shed light upon your purpose for study. Information such as your extra curricular activities and your achievements in that area are not necessary to your statement and should be removed from this essay. Save that for a more relevant common prompt.
OP npkul 1 / 1  
thanks for the advice ... the problem is my work experience is not exactly related to my MS field. Hence, I am a bit reluctant.
I can understand your reluctance Neeraj. However, you need to understand that because you develop software products, VLSI or Very Large Scale integration is directly up your alley. Remember, you already work as a software developer. Therefore, you build the foundation upon which the VLSI concept works.

Have you heard of the term Timing / Design Closure in relation to VLSI? That is one of the major challenges in developing VLSI right? I believe that you can use that as the platform by which you can connect your current software development profession with an interest in VLSI. It is my understanding that there is a need for multi-core and multiprocessor architectures in relation to the clock frequencies. The idea being that by lowering the clock frequency, the overall speed buildup can be achieved for a more accurate process distribution.Right now, it is quite difficult to maintain the clock skew on a chip.Doesn't lowering the frequency require some sort of software? Isn't that related to automated logic synthesis? A software creates that right? Isn't that something that directly relates to your ability to develop software? While you might think that the two are not related, they may just very well prove to be connected in a very important manner.

All you have to do to make this statement of purpose successful, is make the connection between VLSI and software development. That is why I believe that you can speak at great length about your software career. If you are still unsure, do some research online. You will find supporting information for my claim.

You can always make some sort of direct connection between your current career and your masters degree interest. The key, is to convince the reviewer that your claims are important for the future advancement of this field of computer architecture and your career development. Talk about some theory that you have regarding the relevance of software development to VLSI. Explain that it is an observation that you have made regarding the relationship of computer software with computer architecture. That should work very well for this essay.
2nd paragraph:
- ...have helped me ato build...

4th paragraph:
-These ,I feelbelieve ,
- ...and appreciate the hard work that goes inwith it.

5th paragraph:
- ...in school and college.

Conclusion:
- ...that is required whilein pursuing...

That's about it and don't hesitate to elaborate your work experience, it may not be related to what course you'd like to take or the course you graduated from but it definitely matter when it comes to your application. Remember, your current work situation is a great addition to your application, however not related, it may be a builder towards greater achievement in your future career and it will definitely increase your chances in this application.

Home / Graduate / Advanced Computer Architecture / Electronic Devices - Review SOP for MS in VLSI