'advanced electronic devices' - SOP for PhD application in Chemical Engineering

CathyPo 1 / -  
Hi, I really need your opinions of my SOP for PhD study to see if it's attractive enough to catch the professors attention.
What I mention are mostly about my research experiences. Hope it's not too boring.
I'm not sure if I need to describe some other details like my GPA(3.57) or my leadership or some teamwork experience.
Thank you so much.

Explain your purpose for graduate study, including your current degree goals and reasons for selecting a particular field of study-------------------------------------------------------- -------- -

I was inspired to pursue my graduate study in chemical engineering when I worked as undergraduate researcher and successfully developed a manufacturing process for certain thin film electronics, which significantly lowered the costs and increased the performance. Since then, I have got a strong desire for being engaged in scientific research on new materials and technologies for electronics to make a great influence on human's life. I can say that, "Making notable contributions to the world completes me."

My long term career goal is to be a chief scientist with an expertise in chemical engineering, especially in advanced electronic devices and nanotechnology. I realized that a profound knowledge and research experience with renowned scholars and competitive peers will improve my abilities; therefore, I decided to study for a PhD in chemical engineering department at University of Florida. I am confident that I have prepared well for the PhD program based on my previous education and research experiences at ____University (B.S. in 2008) and ____University (M.S. in 2011).

At ___ Laboratory at ____ University, I have been involved in a research project about improving the manufacturing process of Dyed-Sensitized Solar Cells from 2007 to 2008. Our team developed a ___process for nanoparticle Pt to adhere on the counter electrode, which can be operated in room temperatures and atmospheric pressure, as well as reduce the usage of the expensive metal, Pt. My research focused on optimizing the ___ process by an ____ method, and the accomplishment I achieved is to increase the cell efficiency by 0.55% and decrease the cost of Pt usage by 39% compared to ordinary sputtering Pt counter electrode. This success encouraged me to cooperate with ______ Laboratory and conduct further research on synthesizing ZnO nanowires by selective-area growth to apply to anode of Dyed-Sensitized Solar Cells in 2008.

Pursuing my Masters degree in _____ University, I have participated in the research of advanced electronic materials and devices at ____Lab from 2010 to 2011, with a concentration on process improvement for ____ thin films and applications for capacitors and transistors. As a graduate research assistant, I designed experiments with thin film processing, characterized thin films by chemical analysis, fabricated electrodes and electronics by deposition techniques, and tested electrical properties. My hard work with creative ideas led to the achievement of a high performance organic field-effect transistor with potential to apply to ____. This fantastic research experience reinforced my interest in PhD study in electronic material processing including nanomaterials and semiconductors, and electronic devices development.

I would particularly like to study for a PhD in chemical engineering at University of Florida because the research fields of your faculty are fascinating to me and closely related to my research background and long term career interests. Some of the research opportunities that I am interested in are electronic materials processing by different thin film deposition techniques and developing processes and materials for thin film solar cells and tandem solar cells with Professor ___, application of semiconductors and nanowires to transistor and sensor devices with Professor ___, manufacture and characterization of thin films for photovoltaic devices with Professor ___, synthesis and application of self-assembled nanostructure materials with Professor ___, nanowires arrays synthesis and application to Dyed-Sensitized Solar Cells, with Professor ____ and Professor ____. I plan to delicate myself to the study of electronic materials and development of advanced electronic devices with high performance and lower cost not only for my PhD study but for my entire life.

I have full confidence that my strong motivation, great enthusiasm, academic background and research experiences, with creativity and diligence, make me a highly competitive candidate for your PhD program. I really appreciate your time and consideration.
Since then, I have got a strong desire for being engaged in scientific research on new materials and technologies for electronics to make a great influence on human's life. I can say that, "Making notable contributions to the world completes me."

Avoid the word "got." Use gained or developed, etc.

Also, this material. above is NOT effective. But don't worry, I'll tell you the secret. You MUST come up with a plan. It's fun. Do it now. Ask yourself what is important to you.. what issue can you help to resolve, what important issue? You can use the skill you are gaining and make a contribution to solving a particular problem.

If you read a few recent articles, you will know about the problems YOU are best suited to conquer.

Making notable contributions It is an empty phrase. WHAT problem, specifically, will you be attacking?

:-)

to be a chief scientist with an expertise in chemical engineering, especially in advanced electronic devices and nanotechnology Not a goal.
If you want to inspire the reader, choose a real problem to solve.

Home / Graduate / 'advanced electronic devices' - SOP for PhD application in Chemical Engineering