Aerospace Engineering - Statement of Purpose

niket_thatsme 1 / 1  
Please review my Statement of Purpose for graduate studies in Aerospace Engineering. I would be highly thankful for your feedback and suggestions:

STATEMENT OF PURPOSE

During my childhood days, a visit to my hometown's small airport on weekends was a regular chore. I was always fascinated by what I saw. Though the noise made by the aircrafts while taking off and landing was deafening to others present there, it was merely a melody to my ears. I was amazed about how a giant machine could soar so swiftly in the air. This was the fuel that lighted up the fire inside me.

Frankly, I always wanted to be a pilot. And not just any pilot, I wanted to be a Research Test Pilot. As a kid, I always used to watch programs like Wings and Wheels on Discovery Channel. Unfortunately, at a very early age, this precious dream of mine was cut short by a visit to the family optometrist. But I was not going to let this disappointment distance me from airplanes; the one thing that I love unconditionally. Thus I decided to pursue my studies in the field of Aerospace/Aeronautics.

All men share one dream deeply; having made one machine which they can credit to themselves. Fortunately, I have had the pleasure and honor of creating two machines. In my second year, I was part of Team Jaabaz, VIT University's SAE Mini Baja team, where we designed and fabricated a Mini Baja ATV. The team won the national level design award for its design. In my third year, I wanted to further my passion of aircrafts, thus I started and captained VIT University's first team for SAE Aero Design West called Assailing Falcons. I took to aeromodeling and have a flying experience of 2 years to my credit.

During my time with Assailing Falcons, I had to take up studying the basics of Aerospace/Aeronautics as this was not a part of the regular curriculum at VIT University. I was reminded of my childhood days of schooling. One particular experiment that is performed by almost all the teachers teaching the physics class in third or fourth grade "how a wing reacts when subjected to wind" It was then that I realized the true beauty of airplanes. So many laws of physics govern the flight of an airplane, but still it beats one major law; the law of gravity.

Having learnt the basics strongly, I decided to test myself to know how much I really understood the subject. Thus for my Design Project, I chose to study Selig 1223RTL Airfoil under various flight conditions as compared to the conventional airfoils. I was amazed to actually see how a simple change in geometry of an airfoil could change its flight characteristics significantly. My passion for airplanes just grew.

I decided to play a strong gamble. For my final year project, which has the highest number of credits, I chose a topic never plodded by any students. I decided to take up five unsymmetrical airfoils with high camber and test them experimentally and by simulations. Then from the two airfoils with the most promising results, generate my own airfoil and compare it to the conventional airfoils. The result was NG7206, an airfoil that has proven both experimentally and by simulation; its prowess in the skies.

I don't believe that learning should be limited to classroom teaching. From my experience that I have gained I believe that research is necessary to acquire data and formulate theories, but it is just as important to know how to apply those theories and use that data in the real world.

Though my grades might not reflect as shiny and bright as the next student's; they belong to me truly, as I have earned them, not produce photocopies of textbook on my answer sheet. I guess what I am trying to convey here is that I have tried really hard to grow as an engineer at my university by getting my hands dirty be it on the race track during the SAE Mini Baja competition or on the airfield during SAE Aero Design West competition.

I know that graduate school means a serious commitment towards what one really loves doing and I am ready for that. My goal in life has always been and will be developing the Indian aviation scenario. I want to work towards greener aircrafts, cheaper aviation travels and an advanced Indian Aviation sector.

To achieve the goals that I have set for myself and to work in the sector of industry that I am truly dedicated to, I feel that the best choice for me is Embry Riddle Aeronautical University. One of the professors who have inspired me is Professor Snorri Gudmundsson, who comes directly from the industry. From reading about him, I feel that my graduate studies at Embry Riddle Aeronautical University can really benefit by working under him for his research.

Yours Sincerely,
Niket Ghelani.

Thanking you in advance for your help.
OP niket_thatsme 1 / 1  
Also, please suggest how and where can I add the following line:

" From this day onwards/this was the day when "A for Apple became A for Airplane"

Thanks again.

PS: Sorry for not including this request in my original post.
moon05 13 / 133 20  
Haven't yet got into College so I might not be able to point out specific detail about aerospace but I can tell you about some general stuff.

To include this line first you gotta tell when you got this interest in Airplanes OR you gotta tell a memorable incident of your childhood which fascinated you towards Airplanes.

You do need to tell more about the Professor whom you have mentioned. Which works of his has interested you or what did you read, which caught your attention.

And the most important thing is, you didn't tell why Embry Riddle is the best choice for you! Though you have told about your interest in Aerospace but you haven't told how Embry Riddle meets all the needs of yours, how is it that much full of facility that attracts you toward this university, how is the environment there that fits you...

I mean as far as I know if there isn't any prompt given then you should say why you are considering that specific university by giving reasons...

Sorry if there's any exception for Graduate level but there shouldn't be any!

Home / Graduate / Aerospace Engineering - Statement of Purpose