Application for an MPA program - essay about privilege

luxury20041985 2 / 3 1  
Essay Prompt:

What role does privilege have in policy making?

(200 words)

Privilege is power and influence associated with the membership of a particular group, either acquired (education) or born with. Because of these advantages, the privileged may have an easier access to social, cultural and economic resources than the less privileged, and they may use these resources to influence decision makers unduely. Even policy makers themselves tend to come from privileged backgrounds (wealthier, more educated). The risk is high for the opinion of the less privileged to be neglected since policy makers may often favor the opinions of those they are part of or identify with in policy making.

The negative effect of privilege on policy-making could be mitigated if backgrounds of policy makers are more diversified, the decision-making process is more transparent, and the public questions more whether the status quo is a reproduction of class inequities and the privileged policy makers are made to see the same issue through the prism of different life experiences and perspectives.

My question: how can I approach this essay? What points should I include in this essay? What qualities do admissions officer look for in this essay? Did I properly addresss the prompt? I am clueless.
The question is, "What role does privilege play in policy making?" You defined what privilege is, which was a good start to the essay, but then you lost track and forgot to discuss the actual question. What role does it play in policy making? You did not discuss that in the essay. The negative effect is not a response to the question. A more appropriate response would have aligned itself with the ability of the privileged to create policies based on their whims and caprices, their ability to carve out the importance of a policy as it affects them in their lives, or something along those lines. The response is not really good. It is not very well focused on the question being asked.

Home / Graduate / Application for an MPA program - essay about privilege