To be an asset to the program. SOP for MS in Biomedical Regulatory Affairs

shwetanimwal 1 / -  

a career as a regulatory affairs professional

With the current innovation and integration of medicine, technology and business, a need for increased regulatory compliance is imperative to ensure that safe and effective products are available to the public. After three years of working as a Drug Safety Associate, I feel it is especially critical for me to gain more profound knowledge of the regulations and regulatory agencies that have become so important in the industry. Pursuing Master of Science in Biomedical Regulatory Affairs will endorse me to bolster my efforts to attain a career as a regulatory affairs professional.

Respect for white coat attired doctors having stethoscope around their neck inspired me to follow a medical career. After graduating, I worked in the field of Pharmacovigilance as a Drug Safety Associate. My duties included coding serious and non-serious cases from clinical trials and post-marketing origin, in the safety database in accordance with local and international regulatory guidelines. My professional experience has vastly increased my familiarity with the pharmaceutical industry and allowed me to challenge my academic education in a real-world, professional environment.

My marriage moved me to the USA and I got involved with a few non-profit organizations through my friends wherein we raised funds for underprivileged women and children for their basic education, nutrition and healthcare. After devoting quality family time and being a full-time mother, I think now is the time to start focusing on my career again. With almost 5 years since I last worked I realize I need a Master's degree to get back to working again. Also, in the ever-changing field of pharmaceutical, an up-to-date education and continually expanding knowledge base is necessary.

My bachelor's degree and work experience led me to an interesting exposure to the basics of administration of pharmaceutical industries which has further fueled my interest in learning the process of bringing new medical products to market including research and development, clinical trials, regulatory submissions, manufacturing, marketing and post-market surveillance; to ensure that they are safe and effective. This has inspired me to opt for a MS program in regulatory affairs.

I am aware of the hard work involved in acquiring a degree from an institution of international reputation and I am confident of succeeding in the course offered to me. It would be a great honor and pride for me if I am accorded the opportunity to study at your university. If accepted to the program, I am confident that with my level of motivation, passion for drug safety, and contribution to industry regulations will make me an asset to the program. I am confident that given the opportunity, I would perform to the best of my abilities and seek to acquire skills that will help me achieve my goals. I am certain that the graduate study will be an invaluable extension of my academic pursuits and a major step towards achieving my career objectives. As a highly motivated professional, I plan to bring to the classroom environment my perseverance, discipline, and dedication.
Omit the part about your marriage. That is irrelevant to the reviewer and does not prove anything with regards to your professional experience in relation to your chosen masters course. The essay, being a statement of purpose needs to show that you are thinking about a potential career path after graduation, you don't have that clearly spelled out at the moment. Neither are the reasons as to why you have chosen a particular university. Why this university in particular? What makes you think the university can help you achieve your educational goals in relation to a future career? Think deeper about the actual "purpose" of your application. Then write a new essay that better responds to the following questions:

1. How do I intend to rejoin the workforce after completing this course?
2. How will completing this course be beneficial to my future career goals?
3.. What are my future career goals that this course will help address?
4. What part of my work experience proves I have what it takes to complete the research requirements of this course?

There are several other questions that need to be answered but it is highly likely that I don't have to list it down. Just write a new essay based on these basic questions and the rest of the questions should be answered accordingly, whether you know it or not.

Home / Graduate / To be an asset to the program. SOP for MS in Biomedical Regulatory Affairs