From bachelor in electronics engineering to the masters in telecommunication (from UK)

pra1884 1 / 1  
I have obtained bachelors degree in electronics engineering in 2007. I had an exp of 1yr in one of the pvt organisation.But from the past 6 months I am unemployed, as I have resigned from the services. Currently i m pursuing japanese language course. I have also obtained a certificate of 'Web component development using JAVA technologies' from NIIT. will u plz suggest me some points which i need to include in my SOP for applying to masters degree in UK.
spchiq 1 / 2  
For your statement of purpose you should see what the university wants you to highlight about yourself. Some want you different things than others, so I would look at the applications first to see what they are looking for.
Yes, and remember that it is about your purpose. It is about your plan for the next few years or decades. Show that you are committed to making specific contributions to your field and/or community, and make it clear to them that this program is crucial for achieving your aspirations. What masters program do you have in mind? electronics engineering?
OP pra1884 1 / 1  
Below is my SOP for applying to masters in telecommunication from UK. Do I have to mention anything else. Please do the necessary changes.

STATEMENT OF PURPOSE

I am an undergraduate student, having done an inspiring four-year course in Electronics Engineering from Terna Engineering College, under the affinity of University Of Mumbai. During these four years of study, I have strived to maintain an approach of expending independent effort in all my endeavors. After my undergraduate study I would like to refine my knowledge and skills I have gained in pursuing a graduate study in Telecommunication field.

As I have been brought up in a family which has a strong inclination towards Science, I had developed a fascination for electronics and also the computers right from the beginning. This inclination towards science further increased by my active participation in the fairs and seminars during my school days. I had a special interest towards these technologies and appreciated its innovative ideas. My good academic records at school level and my penchant for science rightly guided me to take up the science stream at the university level from which I drew the true spirit of engineering. Consequently I decided to obtain my undergraduate major in electronics engineering as it had a tremendous potential to become a dominate force affecting all walks of human life. Also Electronics Revolution ushered in an area that heralded the beginning of all round progress.

The four year undergraduate study has taught me that Engineering is as much as an art as it is a science. Creative instinct, excel fellowman ship and perceptiveness are the very gist of engineering. During my engineering course I was introduced to the concepts of power electronics, digital communication, data communication and networking and I had developed an instant liking to these subjects. I have also developed an interest in the computational skills like MS-Word, Excel, and PowerPoint and in the programming languages like C, C++, JAVA, J2EE and Matlab. However, for my MS degree, I remain open to other topics as well. During my undergraduate I have attended various seminars and conferences that were conducted by my department. I am confident that the knowledge I have gained in the undergraduate level will serve as a base for my career advancement in the telecom field .I want to be the part of this telecommunication industry which is currently facing a technological revolution so as to contribute my share in its advancement.

My fields of interest however spread over a wide spectrum of areas. I am especially fascinated by internetworking, communications through digital systems and also advanced signal processing and system analysis which amazes me to choose telecommunication and networking as a field for pursuing masters. I am confident that my undergraduate study has provided me with sufficient knowledge in order to take up any one of these as my specialization in my graduate study.

One of the most important lessons I have learnt when I was working as a Junior Engineer is to accept both failure and success as a part of positive frame of mind. My work involved organizing meetings with the clients, to solve their issues and to give them good results which benefited me to interact with various kinds of people. That was a marvelous experience for me which I feel would stand in good stead in the future.

The award winning faculty and excellent facilities at your university makes the program ideally suited to my professional goals. It is one of the most dynamic universities providing personal attention to the international students and extensive academic resources. It is a place of various social activities. My desire to pursue further study in UK is because it has the most dynamic atmosphere that will be going to shape up my thinking and learning abilities. I strongly believe that keeping up a curious and explorative attitude leads to a constant learning process. The diversity of student's union will open my mind to new ideas and new ways of doing things. The international education will give me the training and the caliber to meet the global clients. I am looking forward to be an active contributing member of the student's community at your university. My future plans are to take part in various activities in your university and put my hard work and resources and succeed in my field.

In conclusion, I would like to add that the essence of University education lies in the synergetic relationship between the student and his department. I feel that graduate study at your University will be the most logical extension of my academic goals and a major step towards achieving my objectives. I would be very grateful to you if I am granted with an opportunity to pursue my graduate studies with financial assistance at your institution and I am sure that I will be able to justify your faith in me.
...from Terna Engineering College (no comma necessary here) under the...

...like to refine the knowledge and skills I have gained in pursuing a graduate study in Telecommunication field.

I think you did an excellent job with this!!

Something I like to do is look at the first sentence of every paragraph to see if they intorduce major ideas in a way that flows powerfully:

I am an undergraduate student, having done an inspiring four-year course in Electronics Engineering from Terna Engineering College, under the affinity of University Of Mumbai.

The four year undergraduate study has taught me that Engineering is as much as an art as it is a science.
My fields of interest however spread over a wide spectrum of areas.
One of the most important lessons I have learnt when I was working as a Junior Engineer is to accept both failure and success as a part of positive frame of mind.

The award winning faculty and excellent facilities at your university makes the program ideally suited to my professional goals.
In conclusion, I would like to add that the essence of University education lies in the synergetic relationship between the student and his department.

This is a powerful series of ideas! I think I will link other EF members to this thread so they can learn from your example.

Home / Graduate / From bachelor in electronics engineering to the masters in telecommunication (from UK)