'Betterment for arts and creative industry' - Applying MA in Arts Management - Personal Statement

dainben 1 / -  
My mother once said that my fondness for arts had already appeared when I was still inside her womb. I always kicked whenever she sang, listened to a song and watching movies or art performances. Then I was growing up as a girl with music and movies as my main interests and hobbies. However, the first time I knew that art is something I want to do in life was when I was making a movie in senior high school. I enjoyed the creative process a lot, and I want to do it all my life.

I was taking Communication Science at the University of Indonesia and choosing Broadcasting and Creative Industry as the specialization. I learned a lot from producing great television programs to understanding the condition of this industry in Indonesia. To fulfill my desire of making some works of arts, I with the team produced some movies for festival and competition purposes. "Rhoma Ansah" was the drama film I directed that had been chosen as the top 10 works by La Lights Indie Movie Competition in 2011. The experience of being appreciated by the prestigious movie festival like this inspiring me to do more. So, I submit my art video called "Cool Tour" to several international festivals and it was chosen in Wellington Underground Film Festival and Athens Video Art Festival in 2014.

Besides, I also contributed in managing several art communities and leading some arts events and programs in college. The beautiful feeling of regenerating the theater and film communities in college and seeing them growing each day made me realize that managing and empowering people in arts are the roles I want to take in this industry.

Indonesia has a lot of potentials for arts and creative works. Hundreds of different cultures, which spread from the east to west side of the country, are the sources of ideas and inspirations for the creative industry. We also have so many brilliant artists with amazing works of arts. This industry in now developing in Indonesia with labor absorption up to 10,7% of all the domestic workers and the consistent increasing growing rate from 2013 to 2015. Unfortunately, we do not have the advanced management system for this industry, so a lot of great artists gave up their dreams and many creative businesses collapsed within less than three years. In fact, Indonesia Government already concerned about this industry and its' potentials. The government planned to make the creative economy as one of the major sectors to the nation building in 2025. As a woman with a big passion for arts and creative industry, I was called to take this part and bring this industry to the next level.

In my previous job, even though I was working as a creative or copywriter, I always tried to dig my knowledge in management and leadership from the manager. It made me understand that to manage arts and creative business in Indonesia, we need to learn from another country, which already has flourishing creative industry. So then I decided to learn from the greatest one, the United Kingdom.

Taking the master degree in Arts Management, Policy and Practice, University of Manchester will give me the understanding of the policy and the skills of the management, which are all I need to build the arts and creative industry in Indonesia. The city itself has long art history and genius artists like Morrissey and Ian Curtis, who inspire me in creating works of arts. In the future, I want to create programs to empower people who involve in this industry with inspiration, appreciation, and management understanding. It also takes the collaboration with government to make the proper and right policy to rule the sector and make it developed. Besides, I also want to establish my own creative business that will engage the talented artists in Indonesia.

The fact that I am a student from Indonesia will add diversities in the university. I will share my thoughts based on the condition of my country with others and let all of us inspire each other with fresh and new perspectives.

In conclusion, I believe that my experiences and background will fit this master's needs and requirements. Learning from this postgraduate program is one of the big steps I need to take to achieve my dream and become the future leader who creates betterment for Indonesia's arts and creative industry.
Hi Daina, I'd like to share my insights on your essay with the focus on the last three paragraphs.
Please find my remarks below;

- Taking the masters degree in
- which areis all
- has a long art history
- whose my inspirationinspire me
- in creating works of arts .
- In the future,( this phrase is unnecessary as we have established the timeline of the subject )

- The fact that I am a student from IndonesiaAs an Indonesian I will

- I believe that my experiences and background
- will fit thisthe master's needs and requirementsprogram .
- the biggest steps
- I need towill take to achieve
- bettermentactions for the greater welfare of for Indonesia's arts and creative industry.

There you have it Daina, you have a very good heart and the will to help your countrymen in a way that not much people

would think of.
I hope the remarks helped and I wish you the best of luck.

Home / Graduate / 'Betterment for arts and creative industry' - Applying MA in Arts Management - Personal Statement