'Business and mathematics have been in my life always' - Imperial College Master for Finance essay

estefa227 2 / 2  
Personal Statement

I believe the future of any organization depends in part of how it addresses the challenges in a competitive environment and develop best practices for the benefit of it, guided by the environmental trends and making predictions. I am a Colombian Industrial Engineer who believes that mathematics is useful in business and finances to solve these issues. I make the decision to apply for Master in Finances at Imperial College because the curriculum contents combine areas about I feel passionate such as mathematics, statistics, modeling and data analysis. As well, I would be pleased to pursue a program related to my professional interests and to my life project. Furthermore this is a prestigious program ranked as number 1 according to Finantial Times in England. It would be an honor to take classes with professors who have a broad experience in financial sector such as Walter Distaso and Dr. Lara Cathcart.

Business and mathematics have been in my life always. My parents have been involved in footwear business so they taught me that everything in the life is a business and a science, and that I should win everything for my merits. My own kind of business as a child was if I got a good grade in kindergarten my parents would be happy, so I might receive their congratulations and get a candy on the weekend. My love for candies and my material dreams to have dolls and props made me set up my own business. So I started selling candies to my friends, and by the age of 10 I got to know the value of money and in this sense mathematics was my allied.

I have always being a responsible, disciplined and studious girl that despite of my short age in that moment, I had big goals. At school I competed in math Olympiads getting the first position twice. When I was 16 year old I made the decision to finish high school in England. This was a great and challenging experience to me because I separated from my family for the first and for a long time. I had to carry the responsibility of myself, but this helped me to define what I wanted to do with my life and to see the world from another point of view.

Then I grew up and my love for numbers increased too. So I decided to study Industrial Engineering because it involves the three areas I love: numbers, business and finance. Along my undergraduate studies, I pursued emphasis subjects in statistics. At the moment, I am working in a consulting company as a Financial Consultant focused on business strategy financial and management controls areas assessing banking and energy sectors enterprises. I daily work assessing financial risk by using programing and financial tools.

On the other hand, my passions in life are to learn as much as I can, to apply the knowledge I own and help people teaching them. I strongly believe in Nelson Mandela's quote: "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world". When I was undergraduate student I was teaching assistant in different subjects such as differential calculus, introduction to general engineering and physics II. Furthermore I was a volunteer in a project organized by my university called Fenicia. In this project I thought mathematics and computational sciences to unprivileged children.

During my degree I always wondered how Asiatic people do business and how they manage to work in the harsh conditions so often portrayed in the media. So I decided to see it with my own eyes and after some tests and patience I found a job in a garments factory that provides clothes to brands like Zara, Mango, etc. In this factory I had the responsibility to optimize the inventory management minimizing both the losses and the costs of inventory maintenance. The most difficult part living in India, was being in a country where the women are so underestimated. To work in the production area of a factory with a staff of more than a thousand people was a great challenge that changed me in a whole. At starting there were people under my command who did not respect my authority. Fortunately I could solve this issue talking to them. Finally I could achieve a stable work, with a harmonious environment.

I also feel proud of this experience because I helped many women who worked with me to gain esteem and value themselves more, even though their religion and traditions were such a big obstacles for them. They took me as an example to encourage them, a young woman that left her country to follow her dreams. Moreover, I can say happily that this experience inspired to me too. Furthemore, when I came back to Colombia I involved myself in a non-profit program helping disadvantaged women and children to learn basic skills, such as writing, reading, computer science and mathematics.

Right now I plan to pursue the master studies and after finishing I plan to apply to companies like Pwc or The Boston Consulting group, one of the best consulting groups to continue working in the consulting market and expand my career potential. At the same time I will start a foundation to continue helping women and children. I would like to make it clear though that I am not a feminist per say, I just matter-of-factly believe both genders have the right to have a fulfilling life.
hasdymath 11 / 25  
hello estefa227. Overall you have shown your fully intention to apply in the subject. Yet, your essay contains too much of your personal life. To deal with it, at least you should mention what lesson you can learn from your experience. In addition, every paragraph should be connected each other, since it drives your essay more powerful and has a flow.
Estefa, I'd like to share my insights to your essay.

- guided by the environmental trends and making predictions.
- I makemade the decision to apply
- for Master in Finances at Imperial College
- because the curriculum contents combines areas
- about I feelthat I am very passionate about such as
- As well, I would be pleasedI am dignified to pursue a program
- honor to take classeswork with professors who
- havea broad experienceseasoned in the financial sector such as Walter Distaso and Dr. Lara Cathcart.

- Business and mathematics havehas always been in my life always .
- soand they taught me that everything in the life is a business and a science,
- and that I should win everything for my merits.
- My own kind of business as a child was if I gotis when I get a good grade
- in kindergarten my parents would be happy,
- soand I might receive their congratulations and get a candy on the weekend.
- I got to know the value of money and in this sense mathematics was my alliedally .

- and studious girleager to learn, that despite of my short age in that moment , I had big goals.
- At school I competed in math Olympiads
- At the moment, I am currently working in a consulting company as a Financial Consultant focused on business strategy, financial and management controls areas, assessing banking and energy sectors and enterprises.

- I daily work assessing financial risk by usingwith programing and financial tools.

Estefa, this are my initial remarks for your essay. I did find it a little difficult to understand due to the fact that what transpired on your essay is a direct English narration of your mother tongue and not how you express it in English, however difficult, there is always a room for improvement and practice writing is definitely a great helper. I'll get back to you for the rest of the essay.
miralicia 1 / 1  
Hello estef, I read your paper and personally I believe it is well written however you don't have any information that supports your personal reasoning. consider doing some research on the topic and include information from other sources to back up your information. after doing this you should just have someone els proof read for grammatical errors.

- MIRIALICIA

Home / Graduate / 'Business and mathematics have been in my life always' - Imperial College Master for Finance essay