Home / Graduate   % width NEW!

cardiovascular technology - statement for master RN in Clinical Nurse Leader specialty

cbennett110 1 / -  

Personal Statement - Health Care Career

My interest in a career in the health care field began when I was a senior in high school. Anatomy and physiology and sports medicine were my favorite subjects. I wanted to know more about the human body and how it worked. When I entered college I chose to go into a degree program for health and human services. The director encouraged me to declare exercise science as my major. While taking classes in for the exercise science program I had uncertainty of what my career would be when I finished. I took an electrocardiogram interpretation class as part of the core curriculum. I had a passionate interest in the heart. Part of my interest in the heart came from my father dying of a massive heart attack when I was five years old. I wanted to have the ability to help and work directly with patients with heart disease. The University was recruiting for their cardiovascular technician program and I decided to complete the bachelor degree in exercise science and also to pursue an associate's degree in cardiovascular technology. I studied both programs simultaneously, taking a total of three and a half years of full time curriculum to complete. My grade point average may have been lower as a result of the full load of classes I was taking. Since graduating, I have been able to work a full time job and pursue education in a field I am excited about.

My career as a cardiovascular technician began specifically in echocardiography. I started doing ultrasounds of the heart, looking for specific disease processes. The doctor would read the results of the ultrasound and help cure the disease if indicated. It felt good that I could make a real difference in a patient's life. A couple of years into my career I took a board registry exam to become a Registered Diagnostic Cardiac Sonographer. I was able to assume a new position working as an Echo Technical Lab Director. With this advancement I started to learn the importance of quality assurance. I compared ultrasound tests to other similar cardiac testing such as stress testing or cardiac catheterization, looking for similar or contrasting results. If results were not the same it would then be implemented that something else be done to ensure the well-being in patient treatment. I also compared ultrasound studies between the reading doctors one to another as well as different staff members to make sure that quality of the studies were correct and that nothing concerning a disease process was being neglected. As the director of the echo lab I also wrote out numerous policies and procedures to improve consistency. Five years into my career, I learned vascular ultrasound to further my education and get a better understanding of cardiovascular disease. I took another board registry exam to become a Registered Vascular Technician.

I took a position in an outpatient cardiac care facility working in both cardiac and vascular ultrasound. I also took part in doing research echocardiograms for patients with a certain cardiac arrhythmia. With this project I was looking at particular outcomes for the disease and whether or not a certain cardiac drug would help to minimize the effects of the disease. While working in the facility I continued my position as Echo Technical Lab Director. I also did medical assistant work, which consisted of bringing a patient into a room, getting vital signs for a patient, charting their complaints or concerns, signs and symptoms, learning their medications, and what their past illness and family history was. I enjoyed working directly one on one with the patient. I liked to learn the patient's complete disease process and to see what the doctor's plan of care was for the patient. I knew that I wanted to take part in direct patient care and to help resolve the patient's health concerns. To accomplish this, I knew the nursing field would be of particular interest.

I started in a two-year community college nursing program because I was working full time and needed a part time schooling option. I took a pre-requisite in anatomy and physiology which took nine months to complete three quarters. I had a great connection with the professor of the course and she felt that by having a bachelor's degree I should be striving for something more advanced than an associate's degree in nursing. She encouraged me to find a more challenging career. I took her advice, wanting to advance my career path further. I decided to pursue a master's degree in nursing. I spoke with the outreach coordinator at The Ohio State University, which advised me to check into the specialty program options in the master's nursing degree program. The dynamic of the family nurse practitioner interested me, but I wasn't sure about choosing such a specific path without having experience as a nurse. I was advised that the Clinical Nurse Leader program may be a good choice because it was more generalized. I could get the skills that I need to pursue the nurse practitioner degree in the future if I choose.

I know a career as a Clinical Nurse Leader will be rewarding because the overall approach is directed toward improving positive patient outcomes. I am prepared to take a leadership role in nursing by providing direct care service for patient satisfaction and increase overall staff competency, communication, and efficiency. I know that becoming a Clinical Nurse Leader involves bringing a high level of clinical competence and knowledge to the point of patient care. It also involves serving as a resource for the entire nursing staff. I believe that I am a strong candidate for advanced study towards the master's degree as Clinical Nurse Leader at The Ohio State University. I am very enthusiastic and determined to learn about the field of nursing and know that I have the dedication and commitment to become an extraordinary nurse leader.

Home / Graduate / cardiovascular technology - statement for master RN in Clinical Nurse Leader specialty