'challenging computer science' - statement of purpose about changing major

prague 1 / -  
Hi, I'm a graduate student in Chemical engineering. Now I want to change major to computer science.
I hope you can give me some advice about my statement of purpose.

Because English isn't my first language, there may be some mistake in grammar, and some sentence may read weird. I hope you can understand me.

Best Regards,

Chris

Since I was young, I like watch many scientific programs like Discovery, National Geographic, BBC and Animal Planet etc, but those programs weren't on TV in China. Fortunately, my father, who is a computer engineer, he found those programs online, so I can watch those interesting programs and I became interested in science. Also, because of my father's job, I can contact the computer much earlier than others, and I ever learned to write some easy codes like a calculator by using visual basic.

Because I do well in the high school, I entered the top university in China (which is also the top one university of southwest China). But I have to make a choice: study computer science as my farther done or study science. At that time, I thought computer is just a tool. If I want to success in one field, I need to know the professional knowledge rather than how to use a tool. Because I'm interested in science and I thought doing experiment is interesting, I choose Chemistry as my major.

After four-year's study, I realized that theoretical knowledge isn't enough, because I want to apply what I learned rather than research on theoretical aspect. So I thought I should learn practical knowledge. For instance, in lab, I had done many experiments and projects, and I know how to synthetise a kind of polymer, but I don't know how to produce it, because I'm lack of the knowledge about how to design the process and reactor. For that reason, I applied Chemical Engineering in IIT.

After one semester's study in IIT, I found engineering need much knowledge of computer science. For example, I take the course: Chemical Reaction Engineering, which is the core course of Chemical Engineering. In that course, I use Matlab to simulate the model of different reactors and calculate the changing of parameters like concentration of reactants during the process. Also, by talking with classmates and professors, I realized that database is used to manage the data in experiment or work, and CAD is used to design required reactors, and they also use Fortran to work with the data. So I thought computer science is the key to apply what I've learned. During my study, I'm more interested in programming like simulate the model of reaction process rather than derivate the theoretical formulas of Thermodynamic and Transport Phenomenon. So I plan to change major to computer science. I think after study computer science, I can use or design the software to solve the problem in engineering field.

I do well in mathematic, and I always enjoy exploring the new field. Last semester, engineering for me is a new field and I've done well in the hard courses which required strong physical and mathematic skills and I got three A. So I can handle the challenge in the study of computer science.
but those programs weren't onwere never shown on TV in China.

Fortunately, my father, who is a computer engineer, he found those programs online (no comma)so I canfor me to watch those interesting programs and I became interestedwhich aroused my curiosity in science.

Also, because of my father's job, I can contactbecame familiar with the computer applications much earlier than others in my age , and I ever learned to write some easy codes like a calculatorby using visual basic.

Because I dodid well in the high school, I entered the top university in China (which is also the top one university of southwest China).(feel like this part is not necessary; also tell the name of the uni) But I havehad to make a choice: study computer science as my farther done or study science.

If I want to success in one field, I need to know the professional knowledge rather than how to use a tool.

It is not clear what you try to say. What do you mean by this?

Home / Graduate / 'challenging computer science' - statement of purpose about changing major