'personal characteristics and motivating factors' - physical therapy essay

mandielaine2322 1 / 1  
Which personal characteristics and motivating factors have led you to pursue the profession of physical therapy?

There are many aspects that contribute to my perseverance in the profession of physical therapy. Some of these aspects emerge from my personal characteristics such as diligence, attentiveness, and adaptability. These characteristics are important in physical therapy because they are a big part of being a thorough and dependable physical therapist. I believe i have these characteristics because of the goals i had set for myself when i was 17, which was when i had my first encounter with physical therapy. I had to go to physical therapy for an ankle injury from a volleyball game, my senior year of high school. At the time, i didn't realize that this experience would change my life and create such an overwhelming passion for my future career. It was getting near the deadline to figure out where i wanted to go to college and what i would go to college for. I've always had a passion for exercise, sports and any type of physical activity, so i knew the career i wanted to pursue would involve those things. At each appointment, i got a chance to speak with my physical therapist, Dan. I was very impressed by his job and how he got the opportunity to work with athletes and stay active on the job. By the end of my therapy, i knew this was it, this was what i wanted to do. After high school graduation, i started my journey towards physical therapy.

While in college, i genuinely enjoyed learning new things and expanding my mind. I was attentive and observant of the material that was handed my way because i knew the path would eventually lead to my final destination. My undergraduate studies really helped me focus on the challenges i would face reaching my goal and ultimately confirmed my desire to continue my journey.

Other aspects that contribute to my perseverance to be a physical therapist are motivating factors like my volunteer work and my passion to have a career i know i will love.

I got the opportunity to do volunteer hours with Patrick Rodkey at an outpatient sports rehabilitation center. Mr. Rodkey was very encouraging about my goals towards being a physical therapist and answered any questions i had. He allowed me to be interactive with patients and help out as much as possible. Mr. Rodkey has the job i have dreamed of since i was 17, and it was very inspiring to be able to learn from him. This opportunity helped me recognize my ability to be a physical therapist and how my dreams are not far out of reach.

My second experience volunteering was at a hospital. I was very intrigued during my time volunteering here, this specific experience gave me a whole new outlook on how versatile physical therapy can be. Although it was very different from my first experience, I adapted very well to assisting with inpatient care. This experience expanded my knowledge and left me wanting to know more. Whether an inpatient or outpatient setting, they both fit my personality and willingness to assist others.

Although these personal characteristics and motivating factors are good to have in pursuing a profession in physical therapy, the most important element is doing what you love. It's hard to come by someone who truly loves their job and actually enjoys going to work everyday. And when you love what you do, then it doesn't feel like work at all. That's the kind of career i want. I have a deep passion for this career and have what it takes to be a great physical therapist. I am certain that participating in the DPT program will require hard work, persistence, and commitment. Even so, i am looking forward to embracing this challenge wholeheartedly.
shknght 1 / 5  
Hi =)

Your essay is very convincing and I can definitely see that there is a passion for your field of choice. With that being said, if you work on reorganizing your thoughts so that they are more fluid I think it has the potential to be stronger. For instance:

-i'd start off with the experience that led you to even consider physical therapy and the love you had for "exercise, sports, and any type of physical activity" Not only does that set the reader up for what's to come but it's the driving force or main "motivating factor"

- try to look at your diction and word order. Words like "aspects" although they fit might not necessarily be the best choice

"There are many aspects that contribute to my perseverance in the profession of physical therapy. Some of these aspects emerge from my personal characteristics such as diligence, attentiveness, and adaptability."

you can try:

"I have always been diligent, attentive, and capable of adapting to varying circumstances. These personality traits have helped me to realize my goal of becoming a physical therapist.

Other motivating factors like your college experience can be the springboard for the characteristics that you developed or the stage to introduce other characteristics or how the previously mentioned ones were strengthened.

"While in college, i genuinely enjoyed learning new things and expanding my mind. I was attentive and observant of the material that was handed my way because i knew the path would eventually lead to my final destination. My undergraduate studies really helped me focus on the challenges i would face reaching my goal and ultimately confirmed my desire to continue my journey."

Other aspects (Suggestion: "factors") that contribute to my perseverance (Suggestion: Maybe you can consider using a different word here. Perseverance isn't the best choice. perhaps "desire" or similar words that carry that idea) to be a physical therapist are motivating factors like my volunteer work and my passion to have a career i know i will love.

Make sure your final paragraph summarizes and strengthens all that you've said. It's the last thing they'll read. Remember consider word choice and order, try not write how you talk (try reading the original out loud and then the revised out loud. It helps you see things that you see simple mistakes that you might have missed before.)

Good Luck!!

Home / Graduate / 'personal characteristics and motivating factors' - physical therapy essay