My childhood dream ; Statement of purpose for MS computer science

mechanic 1 / 1  
My childhood dream was that someday my actions would dramatically impact the world. After a great deal of self-evaluation and an exciting journey through my undergraduate education, I have come to realize that it is not as hard as I had imagined it to be. I find the success of the Google search engine that touches a million lives each day inspirational [..]
generalshepherd 2 / 6 4  
My childhood dream was that someday my actions would dramatically impact ( change) the world. After a great deal of self-evaluation and an exciting journey through my undergraduate education, I have comecame to realize that it is not as hard as I had imagined it to be. I find the success of the Google search engine that touches a millionsof lives each day inspirational .It was after all a research project developed by its founders during their student days at a US university. I feel that such are probable prospects of a graduate education at a university as esteemed as yours where a single line of code that I might write could touch the lives of millions around the world.10 years down the line I see myself in an industry contributing to the field of computer science in the industry and hope that my dream will manifest into reality.

Unlike budding computer scientists my Math skills were not very strong until Grade 10.However I quickly recognized its importance in my intended major and with my innate tenacity worked until I turned it into an area of strength topping the subject in both the 10th and 12th grades. Subsequently I ranked in the top 1.5 % of my state engineering entrance exam from among a hundred thousand who appear for it each year.

This opened up doors to one of the most prestigious private colleges in the country and the most sought after branch???branch of what?. I was fortunate enough to have had great teachers who have strengthened my fundamentals and helped me understand every single line of code I wrote. My academic record has been consistently superior and gratifying since my college employs a stringent relative grading system where I am continually challenged by a very competitive peer group.(sentence review)

One of my main interests is Computer networks and more specifically wireless networks. During my 3rd year I had the opportunity to study Data communications and Computer networks respectively, which gave me a good understanding of these fields and helped determine areas of academic and research interests. Also the lab sessions helped me gain the practical working of various networking concepts such as socket programming, and routing algorithms. I am also familiar with networking tools such as Packet Tracer which are widely used in the industry and research organizations. My 3rd year project was on "Improving QoS at the MAC layer of WiMAX". In this project we implemented a priority based cross layer scheduling algorithm for division of slots across various connections based on the Quality of Service parameters and compared this with the existing algorithm which yielded promising results. My seminar on Wireless mesh networks required me to thoroughly research the topic. I earned much appreciation from my audience for not just my knowledge of the topic but also for the passion I exuded. The work of Professor Zygmunt Haas especially is aligned with my interests and I believe I have achieved substantial knowledge in wireless networks through my under graduationthrough my undergraduate studies and can hopefully contribute significantly to his work as part of my M.Eng course.

My other areas of interest include Machine learning and database systems. I have chosenchose my undergraduate projects with the intention of providing myself a foundation for pursuing quality research in my areas of interest at the graduate level. In my 3rd year I had the opportunity to work on a project under the machine learning domain. In this project we had worked on intelligent character recognition using neural networks to convert scanned images of alphabets into editable format. We had done a detailed study of neural networks and their characteristics. My undergraduate course on database management systems has given me a solid foundation in various RDBMS concepts. Currently I am working on development of a web application using Spring MVC and Hibernate frameworks which are widely used in the industry. I have also worked on creation of a cell phone database system which helped me appreciate the working of a commercial database system.

My undergraduate curriculum has given me a firm foundation and prepared me well to receive an advanced education in my chosen field. Alongside, I have developed some key soft skills as well. Most of these projects involved team effort, and I have learnt the art and value of working in teams. My communication skills have improved to a great extent through seminars and presentations I have given based on these projects. My dream of touching the lives of people has whetted my appetite for activities related to social work. I was part of an initiative by the college called "Antarjala prapancha" which educates more than thousand rural students every year on computers and use of the internet. Such activities have helped me develop values of empathy and service.

I understand that innovation and creativity are some of the core values on which XYZ has been built. Looking at the course work and the credentials of the faculty of XYZ, that seems credible. The computer engineering course at your university is one of the best in the country and encourages professional development in all aspects of the graduate program. I believe it can help me eliminate any technical misconceptions and mould me into an astute working professional besides helping realize my childhood dream .The fact that the M.Eng program gives me an opportunity to explore business track as well as the traditional computer science track has especially caught my attention. With my foundation in this field being fairly strong and my interests matching with those of the Department's I feel I am a good fit for the graduate program here. I am sure that I will be able to match the expectations of the university, being cognizant of the dedication and hard work a Master's course at your university demands. I look forward to being a part of your esteemed graduate program for a mutually beneficial association.

My academic record has been consistently superior and gratifying since my college employs a stringent relative grading system where I am continually challenged by a very competitive peer groupI feel you should review this sentence and use simpler vocabulary so as not to loose your readers.

You are quite brilliant, I wish you the best in your future endeavours.
OP mechanic 1 / 1  
hey thanks a ton for your comments will surely .However,I'm coming up with a newer version of my SOP and would be glad if you can share your comments on that.Will be posting on the same thread soon.

Home / Graduate / My childhood dream ; Statement of purpose for MS computer science