"a clear career goal that I am passionate about" - PA application narrative

rhschwartz4 1 / 1  
This is my first formal essay in about ten years! Could really use some constructive criticism. Thanks!

Please describe your motivation towards becoming a PA:

Upon graduation of high school, I still did not know what career path was right for me. I followed the advise of my school counselor and pursued and obtained a degree in business. Shortly after entering the business world, my life took a frightening and unexpected turn. My parents were in a motorcycle accident. Thankfully, their injuries were not life threatening but my mother had severely damaged her hip and leg. She would be homebound for months. The remodeling company that they had successfully built up was now in danger. Although I never wanted to join the family business, I agreed to take over her responsibilities of running all of the business aspects of the company.

During the months that followed, I successfully ran the business while also spending a great deal of time caring for my mother. I learned to change her bandages and helped her with physical therapy. I soon found that I enjoyed caring for my mother much more than running the business. At that time, a career change did not seem like an option. For the next ten years, I stayed at the company and successfully grew the business. Then, suddenly, as the economy plummeted, so did the business. The business would soon close.

It was then that I had to make a difficult decision. Should I find another job that I was sure to not enjoy, or should I seek a new career path? After a lot of deliberation, I decided that I would take a risk. I had always excelled in math and science in school, and I always had been very interested in health related science. Also, I really enjoyed the experience of caring for my mother. I began to consider healthcare as a career.

My first thought was to be sure I was making the right choice. I enrolled in a Certified Nursing Assistant program to acquire experience with direct patient care. After the first week of clinicals, I knew that I was on the right path. Six weeks later, since I had been excelling in class, my professor allowed me to shadow the charge nurse while he did his rounds and procedures. This is when I knew that I wanted to dedicate my life to healthcare. Working toward something that is my goal, and not one that has been thrust upon me, is extremely exciting and motivating.

Next, I had to determine which part of the healthcare profession I would pursue. As I spoke with professionals employed at every level of several different healthcare organizations, I discovered that Physician Assistant (PA) would be the best fit for my abilities, interests and background.

A very important aspect of the PA profession is continuing education. A healthcare professional at this level must be well informed with the constantly changing methods of diagnosis and treatment. A PA must also continue to be knowledgeable in all disciplines, even if their daily tasks are focused on one specific area. Being a life long learner is very important in my life, and I truly enjoy gaining new knowledge. My success in my preliminary classes is evidence of my enthusiasm for education.

In many institutions, a PA also has supervisory and managerial duties. With my background of managing a small business, these abilities have already been acquired and would just need to be applied to a different organization.

Another significant motivation in becoming a PA comes from my desire to give back to the community, especially the elderly. As part of my volunteer work, I was assigned to administer satisfaction questionnaires to the over 80 year old patient population at Advocate Good Samaritan Hospital. From my experience, the geriatric population tended to be less satisfied with the level of care that they received than other age populations. One of my goals in the PA profession will be to provide superior care to this population. I will focus on thorough explanations and bedside manor, which seemed to be the main grievances voiced by these patients.

At this point in my life, I finally have a clear career goal that I am passionate about. Finding a career that incorporates all of my aspirations, interests and experiences is the driving force behind my motivation to become a successful Physician Assistant.
amrosca 4 / 130  
Hei there Robert and welcome to EF! :D

Let me just quickly mention a small mistake: Upon graduation offrom high school, ... The rest of your grammar is really beautiful, as is your essay. You have covered absolutely everything an application essay should cover - in my opinion at least.

The only thing I didn't like so much was the fact that it's pretty long. Now, I don't know if you have a word limit to reach or something, but I think you can imagine that people handling admission essays won't have the patience to read long essays. Try to compress it just a little.

Also, I would try to make the intro a bit more catchy. Not that it is dull as it is right now, but I think an extra kick in it would make it better.

Good luck with getting into the school you want! :)
OP rhschwartz4 1 / 1  
Thanks for the insight and the help with grammar. I kinda thought I needed to shorten it as well!

Home / Graduate / "a clear career goal that I am passionate about" - PA application narrative