Essay for CMU MSCF---Describe your background in finance, computer science, math and statistics.

bonboncase 20 / 45 15  
Describe your background and preparation in the four concentration areas of the MSCF program - finance, computer science, math and statistics. In particular, please detail your background in calculus-based probability.

Hi guys. This is one of the strangest essay topic I have met. I don't think it looks like an essay at all... I am not sure if I should just list the classes and related skills in the essay.The number after each lesson is my mark, I am not sure if they are necessary so I just keep them for now.

I am losing some format when I paste my essay here, please refer to the picture I attached

Finance:
As an accounting student, I attended all the required class as follow:
- Macro-Micro Economics: 88
- Financial Management: 81
- Management of Corporate Financial Risks: 91
- Advanced Accounting: 85
- Intermediate Financial Accounting: 87
- Cost Accounting: 87
- Practice of Accounting: 94
- Introduction to Finance: 87
- Business and Economics: 84

I also attended other universities' finance-related class as follow:
- The Economy of Money Banking and Financial Market at University of International Business and Economics: 84
- Game Theory at Peking University
- Demystifying the Chinese Economy at Peking University

Computer Science:
I have learned Visual FoxPro, MATLAB, STATA, SPSS, MIS, Note Express, Yongyou accounting system and the Office Pack in the following classes. I am also familiar with the use of Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Premiere and an Oracle-base accounting system.

- Management of Corporate Financial Risk (base on SPSS) :91
- Database and VF Programming Design: 81
- Management Information Systems: 85
- Applying Excel to Financial Management: 93
- Data Processing of Accounting Research (base on STATA ): 95
- Principles & Application of Computerized Accounting System (base on Yongyou accounting system) :82
- Experiment of Mathematics (base on MATLAB): 80
- Computer Application Practice (base on the Office Pack): 85
- Document Retrieval and Computer Application (base on Note Express) : 80

Math:
My university has rigorous requirements for math and science study even for business major students. I have been exposed to the following classes:
- Operations Research: 95
- Linear Algebra A: 80
- Advanced Mathematics A I: 85
- Advanced Mathematics A II: 80

Statistics and Probability:
- Applied Statistics: 84
- Probability & Mathematical Statistics A: 82
covering:
- Random events and probability(classical probability and conditional probability)
- One-dimensional random variable and its distribution(including discrete random variables and Continuous random variables
- Multidimensional random variables and their distributions(including joint distribution function for two-dimensional random variables, marginal distribution, conditional distribution)
- Figure characteristic of random variable(including expected value,variance, covariance and coefficient of correlation)
- Convergence of random variables (including law of large numbers and central limit theorem)

As an accounting student, I have a well-rounded finance background especially for microeconomics. I gained a comprehensive mastery of fundamental principles of finance from courses including Macro-Micro Economics, Financial Management, Management of Corporate Financial Risks, Introduction to Finance and Business and Economics. To have a deeper understanding of finance and macroeconomics, I attended some famous lessons in other university including The Economy of Money Banking and Financial Market at University of International Business and Economics, Game Theory and Demystifying the Chinese Economy at Peking University. They were very beneficial for my analysis of economic events and I was lucky enough to grasp some cutting edge economic theories.

Meanwhile, I actively engaged in the learning of programming and statistical software. Other than the required programming lesson of Visual FoxPro and basic introduction into MIS, I attended many elective lessons related to data processing softwares to upgrade my programming skills. So far I have mastered MATLAB, STATA and SPSS. I also learned the use of MATLAB on SVM and the basics of R language by myself to solve some academic problems. From my experience at the Student Television Station of my university, I proficiently managed the use Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Premiere. My second internship also thought me to work in a Oracle-base accounting system efficiently.

Furthermore, thanks to the distinctive science and engineering characteristics of my university, I kept a good sense for scientific researches in learning Chemistry experiment and College Physics. I also built a solid foundation in mathematics and statistics under the rigorous requirements for mathematics and science study for business major students. To enhance my mathematic background, I chose "level A" for all my mathematic classes although doing so would lower my grade. Through such courses as Operations Research, Linear Algebra A, Advanced Mathematics A I, Advanced Mathematics A II, Applied Statistics and Probability & Mathematical Statistics A, I paved the way for understanding quantitative analysis.

The topics covered by probability are as follows
Supported by my firm foundations for the four specialized fields above, I believe I met with all your academic requirements for a MSCF student at Tepper School of Business.

• The final part
Shiyun, you are right about this being a very strange essay prompt. Have you given any thought to emailing or calling the admissions office of the university in order to clarify the format for the content of this essay? They are the only ones who can tell you for sure if you should just use a resume format or essay format for the completion of this task. Is there any way you can reach them?

I am not sure if using an essay format will work for this prompt because you have only 2 pages to use for your essay and your course listing alone covers more than that. Maybe you can try to discuss the related courses in combined paragraphs to make the essay format work for this prompt? I think that since these subjects are mostly related, the skills will be similar and therefore, they can be discussed as a group of subjects instead of as individual ones.

Why don't you try to come up with a 2 page essay version using the group subject discussion method and see if it will work for you? That is until you can get confirmation from someone at the university regarding the proper format for the prompt. 2 pages , single spaced should be more than enough to allow you to best discuss the topics that you need to present in group format. I'll be on standby waiting for the clarified instructions. I am interested in learning how to properly respond to this prompt myself :-)
OP bonboncase 20 / 45 15  
Hi Louisa
I got the official reply and they say I should write this in essay format.
I looked over the application system today and there is a special place for submitting lesson names and marks. So I guess my original essay for this topic is wrong.
zyuanxia 1 / 4  
Perhaps you can detail some important courses by describing what mainly you have learned in the courses and their importance. In this way it may seem more like an essay. Just my guess for consideration.

Home / Graduate / Essay for CMU MSCF---Describe your background in finance, computer science, math and statistics.