(communication skill and financial knowledge) Personal Statement for MSc in Marketing

Kaypark 1 / -  
Hello, I wrote this personal statement for my post graduate program in marketing. I think it needs a lot of works. Any comments are welcome. Thank you in advance!!!!!

Personal Statement for MSc in Marketing

I got my bachelor's degree from ------- University in Seoul with a major in Korean Language and Literature and a minor in Business Administration. One of my academic interests was creative writing to communicate effectively with the readers. I enjoyed analyzing the structures of plots I read, wondering what factors contribute to making a strong story. I also took business courses with a special emphasis on finance which provoked my strong interest in corporate management issues.

My unique background including communication skill and financial knowledge led me to involve in investor relations after graduation. I got to work in the Treasury and IR Part of ------ inc. which is one of subsidiaries of SAMSUNG providing procurement outsourcing services to its business customers. I was fortunate to participate in an IPO preparation project as soon as I start working in the company. To be honest, I never knew this experience would make me want marketing badly enough at that time.

Here are three main reasons why I wish to participate in MSc in Marketing and International Management program at ---- Business School at this stage.

First of all, I am certain that this program will advance me to work internationally in business-to-business marketing which is my career ambition. While preparing the IPO, I had an opportunity to have great understandings of business-to-business marketing by investigating thoroughly in marketing and sales departments. This enlightened me with the dynamic nature of the business marketing environment and the basic similarities and differences between consumer and industrial goods. I followed my interest and passion and made a firm decision to do a master's degree.

Secondly, I need to be fully equipped with knowledge, personal skills and competence in context of international marketing. From my work experience, I realized how important being a specialist is and the MSc program will put me on the fast tract to be a marketing professional. Since I have no background in marketing, I am desperate to gain a wide range of academic knowledge and deepen my studies on B2B Marketing on one hand. I am anticipating to have the chance to work in a group on a marketing project dealing with practical issues, which allows implementation of the theoretical elements of the course on the other hand. I think that my motivation will lead me to brilliant academic achievement.

Lastly, I want to not only have a comprehensive understanding of marketing, but to ultimately have the leadership and interpersonal skills to be able to manage marketing projects in real situations. Besides the intention to study marketing in depth, developing network and broadening cultural prospective with class members coming from a variety of backgrounds and is my wish. I believe international environment of Henley Business School will contribute to my professional growth.

I feel my extra curricular works in college helped me foster my leadership and teamwork. I took initiative to organize new volunteer club for women migrants' education. I managed to win a volunteering service planning competition with our tutoring/mentoring program to help women immigrants gain greater competence in Korean Language as a vice president. I fully enjoyed collaborating with other student members and felt rewarding that I could contribute to the less fortunate. I hope that my cooperative skills and active attitude will benefit my postgraduate study.

The aim of my postgraduate study is to enhance my career advancement prospects through knowledge of how to apply academic learning to best marketing practice. In terms of my personal goal, I aspire to work for a high-technology firm that competes in business markets such as Cisco, SAS, Qualcomm or Intel. Specifically, I hope that I will be able to engage in development and management of the global marketing strategies to with advanced theories that I learned from the MSc in Marketing. Ultimately, I would like to expand my professional experience from marketing to the consultancy in the future.
Hello friend, I thought I commented on this essay yesterday, but I must have forgotten to hit "post your message!"

Anyway, what I typed yesterday was that I think your first few sentences are not interesting enough. I want to challenge you to move this sentence to the beginning of the essay:

To be honest, I never knew this experience would make me want marketing badly enough at that time.
Maybe that sentence seems like a strange way to start the personal statement, but I think it is great. It makes the reader say, "What experience?" In the second sentence, you can explain what the experience was.

So, can you rearrange the first few sentences so that it makes sentence with this sentence at the start?

Another point I remember describing yesterday is that it is not enough to say you want to work for a hi-tech firm. You should get very specific about what you want to do... your unique goals. What are your quirks, your special interests? Give the reader a glimpse of the story of your future.

:-)

Home / Graduate / (communication skill and financial knowledge) Personal Statement for MSc in Marketing