"computer networks"- SOP for computer science MS

butter 1 / 3 1  
My first encounter with computers as a child, was when my mother once took me to her office one weekend. I was fascinated by those gigantic computers, (which of course are now replaced by computers ten times lesser the size) which resulted in a predisposition towards computers from a very early age. At the age of seven, my father got a new personal computer at home and I used to sit long hours trying to explore. Then in school, I started learning "BASIC". The way a few commands could help a turtle draw such magnificent shapes used to leave me spellbound.

The first time I happened to know about computer networks was when in my second semester, I attended a talk on networking by one of the university professors. This lecture had left me awed. Wanting to know more about networking, I enrolled myself in a course called "nettech". With their help, I was able to work on various switched networks,FTP, DNS, DHCP, NFS and Telnet configurations, shell programming, apache web server,structured cabling, firewall services, configuring sendmail and some countermeasures for hacking. The ample amount of hands-on experience and tests that they had made us take, was sufficient to evoke a propensity towards networking. Since then, there has been no looking back.

Then I started reading papers on networking and soon started delving more into routing protocols. My understanding of routing protocols and importance of connectionless and connection oriented communication broadened with the course on "Data Communications" and "Network Protocols" included in the college curriculum for the following semesters. Although I was finding it hard to memorize all the packet formats in most of the routing protocols, which led to a reduction in my grade, I still felt a certain curiosity to learn more about the different ways of data transmission, particularly wireless data transmission.

I also had the opportunity to intern at a prestigious company named NTPC, a public sector undertaking of Government of India and had an exposure to transmission of data through their private WAN system, their internal ERP system and their Satellite communication system along with me designing and programming an online application using ASP and c++ for their station. It was an enriching experience since it helped me to hone my theoretical knowlege with practical experience.

During my 5th semester, I approached a professor to help me out with researching on wireless networks, as I started getting confused with the myriad variety of routing protocols. She gladly agreed to help me and has played a pivotal role in inspiring me to design a new secure multipath anonymous routing protocol.

Apart from computer networks, I have also worked on various projects focusing on other areas of computer science which includes a project on construction of a mini compiler having preliminary scan operations, implementation of a lexical analyzer, parser, and code generator, a project on designing an online application using JSP and java which involves implementing a GUI along with connection of database using JDBC and a project on image processing which required finding out the number of connected components in a black and white and pgm image at the prestigious Indian Statistical Institute. These projects have immensely benefited me and have helped me appreciate the diversity of computer science and broaden my vision of computer science to a great extent.

Along with my studies, I have always been a keen participant in extracurricular activities. I have been a part of the organizing team for the national cultural fest of my college. Along with participating in competitions like roborace and 7 segment display games, I have also had involvement in music and singing contests. Doing community service every weekend, that is going to the paediatric ward and playing with children or visiting orphanages nearby and teaching English or drawing or entertaining and serving the people in the cancer ward, gives me utmost satisfaction.

My desire to pursue further studies in USA is because of the fact that it has a dynamic atmosphere, which will provide me with an opportunity to improve my skills and education along with a growth of individuality. The flexibility of the curriculum is what interests me the most and will provide me the level and quality of education I need to widen the scope of my knowledge and skills. The diversity of the student body, I believe, will open my mind to new influences, new ideas and new ways of doing things. International education will present me a rare opportunity for a solid foundation for a future career in this field along with personal growth. The department website of XYZ revealed a very strong and distinguished bearing of faculty involved in research in the area of computer networks along with the excellent facilities which has boosted my resolve to study at XYZ. I look forward to being an active contributing member of the student community at XYZ.

In conclusion, I would like to add that the essence of University education lies in the synergetic relationship between the student and his department. I feel that graduate study at your University will be the most logical extension of my academic pursuits and a major step towards achieving my objectives. I hope that my background and qualifications are found suitable for an MS in Networks at your University.

---------------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------
yabh 1 / 4  
" I was finding it hard to memorize ... " & " I started getting confused with ... " >>>>>> I think you should not make negative sentence about yourself for any reason

Goodluck

Home / Graduate / "computer networks"- SOP for computer science MS