Without continual growth and progress - improvement, achievement, and success terms have no meaning.

dannydanny 1 / 1  
Without continual growth and progress, such words as improvement, achievement, and success have no meaning.

Benjamin Franklin Paper

I still remember the first time I heard these words from my father while dropping me off to School. Since then, these words have always motivated me in every aspect of life, whether it is academics or extra-curricular activities. Education is expensive in my country, especially, when more than 60 percent of the people are living under the poverty line. This is why getting this far and determined on going further means a lot to me.

My father works in the Oil and Gas Industry. During my school days, when he was working as an Operations Manager in xyz, Pakistan, I used to visit him regularly on oil fields during the weekends. These trips developed my interest in the oil and gas industry. I started reading books that my dad had at home and always had discussions with him about the basic operations that took place at the rig. As I started getting more knowledge and a better understanding of how oil rigs operate, I became even more passionate and curious about this industry. This was the point where my parents recognised my aptitude for being an engineer. Soon after starting my undergraduate degree as a Mechanical Engineer at xyz, UK, I realized that teamwork, communication skills and leadership skills hold as much importance as academics. Working in teams on university projects not only helped me improve the above skills, but also gave me a chance to interact with people from different cultural backgrounds. This led to increased creativity and problem solving. During my studies, I acquired good knowledge and understanding of core engineering subjects like Fluid Mechanics & Thermodynamics, Dynamics, Thermofluid Mechanics, Further Engineering Mathematics, Thermofluid Mechanics & Heat Transfer etc. Apart from academics, I have always actively been involved in sports in school and at University, as I strongly believe that a healthy mind requires a healthy body.

After graduating, I joined XYZ January 2014 at well site as a Trainee Drilling Engineer. On the day of my joining, drilling of 12 ΕΊ'' hole was in progress and we drilled 3 wells since then. The first one was Ayesha-1 with a total depth of 2400 metres. It was completed in 33 days and got a production 12.9 (mmfcfd) with 110 BBLs of condensate a day. The second well was Haleema-1 with a total depth of 1850 metres. During production testing the well was found dry, therefore two abandoned cement plugs were placed and the rig was released. The third well named Hassan-4 was also found dry during production testing and two abandoned cement plugs were placed and the rig was released. As a trainee drilling engineer I assist the Company Man with my colleagues (drilling engineers) at well site in preparing the morning report on a daily basis, preparing daily cost reports, making arrangement of casing, arrangement of casing accessories, bits, dopes etc. Making arrangement of well head, co-ordinating with drilling team (head office) for preparation, planning and designing of well and also co-ordinating with service companies such as Schlumberger, Halliburton, Baker Hughes etc. for well services and activities.

This experience has made me more passionate about the oil and gas industry and broadened my vision. It has motivated me to learn more about this discipline due to which I am now planning to pursue my Masters in Petroleum Engineering/ specializing in the area of well engineering from xyz. xyz is a prestigious university reputed for their major rank amongst the best universities in the petroleum engineering field. It offers extensive research-intensive programs which suit very well with my academic and research interests. My nearby future goal is to consolidate my basic skills, attain necessary qualifications and expertise to follow a career in the oil and gas industry, and I earnestly believe that with your seasoned guidance, my degree program at the University of.... will be a fruitful one.
Dan, is this supposed to be a statement of purpose or letter of intent for graduate school? Is there a chance that a prompt was provided to you for this essay? The information you provide in this essay is very intricately detailed that I believe some of it can actually be deleted without affecting the overall feel and message of the essay. However, I cannot say that for sure because I am not yet clear as to what kind of essay you are trying to write at this point. The essay contains enough information for a personal statement, can sound like a statement of purpose, or refer to your intentions for attending graduate school. So I would appreciate a point in the right direction before I start to advice you regarding the content of the essay.
OP dannydanny 1 / 1  
Thank you so much vangiespen for taking out time to read my essay. I am sorry for not being clear regarding my essay. It is supposed to be a statement of purpose as I am applying for my masters in petroleum engineering. Any advice or critique would be highly appreciated :)
Dan, the problem with your essay is that you rely too much on your college experience rather than your professional experience. As a masters degree student, you are expected to have completed at least 2 years of hands on work experience in the field of study that you are requesting to be admitted to. That means that more weight shall be given in the consideration of your application to your professional rather than academic experiences. That said, you can still revise the essay to better suit a statement of purpose for masters studies. There are really only a number of factors you have to present for consideration in this particular essay. These factors are:

1. The field of study you are interested in in relation to your current career.
2. The reasons for your desire to achieve higher education levels in this field.
3. A brief summary of your college education.
4. Your current work experience in relation to the field of master studies.
5. Your short and long term goals that relate to the the need for higher academic training.

Once you shorten the essay and reflect these information in it, I will be able to help you further with the word count and paragraph editing to tighten the essay while keeping it informative just the same :-)
godfreychatira 2 / 4 1  
Hi Danny

I understand where you coming from and your vision but the problem is be practical in what you say. Include relevant work experience because it is fundamental to the corporate world. Its as simple as this: if you are selling a software for example no matter how much you can explain how much it works, customers will always want to see it practically working. So verbal ideas with no practicality gave no sound in Business. Just work on that and improve a bit.

Good luck buddie!!!!

Home / Graduate / Without continual growth and progress - improvement, achievement, and success terms have no meaning.