Courses and work with foreign people helped me develop global perspective and independent thinking

Raulwade 1 / 1  
SOP for applying Msc in International Business Management

I am going to apply master program in International Business Management. Please give me some recommendations about my SOP that is there any problem that I should revise. Thank you.

I am applying for admission to the Master's degree program in International Business
Management, beginning in the autumn term of 2015. The following statement outlines my reasons for applying to the course to assist you in making a decision on my application.

During my undergraduate studies in the Global Politics and Economics Department of Tamkang University, Taiwan, I took a range of courses in order to gain a wide understanding of international relationship and international affairs. I particularly enjoyed International cooperation in the era of globalization, International Cooperation, and International Organization, so I performed well in these courses. Besides, taking those courses, and working with foreign people helped me develop global perspective and independent thinking. Also with these experiences, I am learning how to be an all-around manager in a group. Almost all of the courses that I took were taught in English in Taiwan. Through intensive reading and giving opinions in classes, I am well prepared for study abroad.

In the third year of college, I had studied in California State University in United States for one year. I had worked with the classmates who came from different countries, including Korea, Japan, and Arabic. We did a lot of teamwork together about presentation, and even made video advertisement. Despite the cultural differences, I had put many efforts in clear understanding and smooth communication with my teachers and classmates, whether in classes or daily life. During this year, we were required to team up on every case study, and then gave an oral presentation and paper report. The most impressive one is that I was assigned to do an environmental interview with American River Parkway Foundation for the information collection and analysis in the research with native students. In the beginning of this research, many different voices made me difficult in making decisions. To solve this situation, we tried a lot in exchanging opinions, searching references and consulting professors. And finally, we arrived at a consensus and accomplished the report and presentation. Therefore, I learned the importance of teamwork and how to deal with others. Also this research inspires me to have more and strong determination in deeper understanding international cooperation, and group management.

I was also actively involved in many student activities in university, including the Student Association of the Department of Global Politics and Economics and the rock club. I was chief finance officer in both activities for leading group to do networking and communication with other teams to deal with financial problem. As a duty period, I participated and helped to undertake many activities such as freshman camping and musical ceremony. Through these experiences, I learned how to communicate and coordinate more efficiently with others to make the project being finished successfully. My organizational management and communicative skills were greatly enhanced during my studying time. With my participation in studying group and extracurricular activities, I have strong enthusiasm with cross-border cooperation. Combining studying and student activities experiences, the skill of international cooperation, group management, and organizational management make me have higher desire to gain further knowledge in International Business Management.

After graduated and military service, I have been working full time in Cathay United Bank as a banking specialist since 2012. I was assigned to do NT dollars deposit, remittance service, and cross-selling of bank products and services appropriate to customer needs. From this job, I served people to deal with their financial requests, and helped them to solve their question about finance or account problem. Through these work experiences, I have been very interested in international business management because of the frequent business meetings, interaction and discussion. I am always thinking about how I can manage a project, and help other colleagues grow and get success in everyone's own job. Hence, in the time off work, I have done Project Management Professional Certification Exam Preparation Course to know better the field of management. Having gained some work experience and the knowledge from the course, I am more determined to explore the field in international business management.

Therefore, I believe if I can have more in-depth expertise in the field of International Business Management and broaden my horizons. For short term, I can return financial field as elementary manager to understand more operation details about internal bank in the near future. Thus, I can contribute to improve the domestic banking industry, and assisting company's development with my knowledge learned from international business management. For long term, I expect that I can be a senior manager, even the general manager with good skill of overall planning, strategically thinking, and communication not only in internal business, but also in entrepreneurship around world.

With a great combination of academic performance and work experience, I am confident that I will perform well as one of the members of your postgraduate program. I believe that this program can offer me both a clearer global perspective and a great environment to study, allowing me to achieve success in my future career.

Thank you for your time and consideration of my application.
Your essay has pretty solid information to present with regards to your statement of purpose. However, the beginning of the essay is weak. Don't spell out all of your academic accomplishments for the admissions officer. A masters degree student is expected to be able to present more of his professional expertise as the basis of your application rather than you academic accomplishments in college. Your college education should only be a mere mention and should not take up more than a paragraph. Concentrate your essay more on your professional career, your professional training, seminars completed, and explain how this university in particular will be able to help you achieve your long and short term goals as a professional. Rework your introduction as well. Right now, your introduction is not strong at all and is an empty statement which will only disinterest the admissions officer instead of interesting him in learning about your purpose for application. Present your purpose within your introductory paragraph in order to formulate an effective hook that will provide the needed teaser for him to continue reading your essay.
OP Raulwade 1 / 1  
Thank you for your suggestion. I will keep working on it. :)

Home / Graduate / Courses and work with foreign people helped me develop global perspective and independent thinking