Describe why you are applying for XXX University

Ola_Mohd 1 / -  

phone interview preparation

HI
I need a great help
I have an interview phone. And I was rejected last year because I couldn't answer the questions very will
the main question is (Describe why you are applying for XXX University)

There are many countless reasons to study in XXX. It is who make XXX grows into smart, livable, environmentally and economically sustainable urban domain.

Study in XXXX is an opportunity to develop my skills and experience in Urban and environmental planning. XXX integrate research and policy, practice and education between academic information and practical research. The visits and trips in the program can help me gain more practical knowledge of urban, regional development and cultural activities which can help better understand XXX culture and society.

International Urban Development Program(IUDP) is repeated annually. This means that at least twenty students from different countries gather in one place to share their experiences and discuss with the university professors also they share ideas with other students from other programs and events. After all, XXXX provide solutions and recommendations through case analysis to XXX metropolitan government for XXXcity's policy and administration.
abdo65619 1 / 8 9  
Hello Ola,
Undoubtedly, the answer of this question will play a crucial role in the decision of the admission committee.
Your answer is so generic and it can be applied for many other universities that have the same program. You have to seek the strengths of X university from their website or the reviews in the internet. Also, you should narrow your focus for countable reasons, for applying. Avoid words like countless, many, .....etc; this will make you sounds unsure about your decision for applying.

Bear in mind that your reasons have to fit only with X university. And this can be done by:

1- Reading the why X university page in their website.

2- Doing some research about the faculties and their research interests. Find someone whoes interests match yours, download some of his/her published papers, and try to show the committee that you would love to work with him/her because his/her works are matching yours, and you find his work on specific thing is interesting......etc.

3- Gathering some statistics, from the internet, about the alumni, their career prospects, starting salaries, and contribution to the development of their socities.

4- There are other reasons like faculty to student ratio, you may get it from the department website, and the course description.

Make a list, limited to a countable number of reasons, with the most important and available reasons, be confident, and you will nail it.

All the best,
Ola, the prospect of you being admitted into the university relies less on gathering public information bout the university and more upon the way that your academic and professional objectives will align with the university vision, mission, and objectives for the students in your particular masters course. The reason why you wish to apply for admission to the university should represent how well you will grow as a person and academic learner during your time there. So that means, you are right to discuss the development of your skills and experience in Urban Planning. However, you need to explain a solid study plan or project to the interviewer that will be convincing enough for them to believe that the university has the facilities to help you achieve your masters research thesis as it applies to your professional needs. Unless there is an actual mentor program at the university, it is best NEVER to mention professor names because being able to enroll in the class of the professor is different from being personally tutored, as a mentoring, by the professor. The latter is not a common masters degree opportunity so discuss the subjects that you are excited to take in relation to your urban planning career instead. Universities prefer students who know how the curriculum can help them, rather than students who have a fan mentality in relation to their faculty members. Your above response should not be used. It is more about public information that depicting a personal relationship between you and the university. It will be sure to lose you the student slot rather than earn you a slot.

Home / Graduate / Describe why you are applying for XXX University