'different settings' - Graduate school essay Physical Therapy

alexisjburke15 1 / -  
Describe your decision making process in choosing physical therapy as a career choice versus other health care careers.
This is 4000 characters right now and the max is 4500 characters.

As a child, participating in sports was a big part my life. Playing and being a part of a team taught me skills such as teamwork, leadership, and responsibility. These skills are equally important to being a physical therapist. Because sports have given me such joy and happiness, I have known for a long time that I want to have a career that has sports as a component. I also have a passion for medicine. Anatomy and Physiology have been my favorite classes because I love seeing how the body works and how all of the systems are connected. I also loved taking Kinesiology because I enjoyed learning about how the body moves in a detailed manner.

Ever since I was a sophomore in high school, I have known I wanted to be a physical therapist. My high school athletic trainer helped me to decide that I wanted to work in this field for the rest of my life. When he found out I wanted to be a physical therapist, he made sure that he taught me everything he could before I left for college. It was his support that made me realize that this is what I wanted to do what he does everyday. Every time I was in his office, he would quiz me on parts of the body, or the RICE technique, and he helped me acquire a job shadow with a physical therapist at the local hospital. That was where I got to see what physical therapists do everyday, and that is when I knew that this was the profession for me. I have had moments as an undergraduate when I have had to face challenges and working through them has given me a greater desire and passion to be a physical therapist.

When I entered college, I thought it would be a piece of cake since I did very well in high school. But when I failed my first anatomy exam, reality set in. I could have easily given up and said this is not for me but I kept working hard and that moment of failure made me a better student. I soon realized the work that it took to succeed in college and beyond. I took the time to make sure I learned all the information instead of just taking a class to get a good grade. I have also spent a big part of my undergraduate tenure helping others. I was a part of the Alternative Spring Break Service Club. We spent the year helping out the community in various ways such as raking leaves for the elderly and disabled, working on clothing drives, and handing out Thanksgiving meals to the homeless. During spring break, instead of going to Florida, I went to Mississippi to help build houses and work in the community. I felt good knowing that I was making an impact on someone's life and helping them move forward.

After spending close to 100 hours shadowing in different settings of physical therapy, I know the field of Orthopedics is what I want to pursue as my speciality. I am a person who always wants to help others and I always want to make sure they are better off. I understand the desire for an athlete to want to be able to get back on the field and be a part of a team. While I want to be able to help rehabilitate them so they are able to play again, I also think it is important to help them get to a place where their strength is better than it was before they had their injury. My friend tore her ACL a few years ago, and she did everything possible over eight months to get back to playing soccer. The problem was that she was never taught how to prevent her ACL from re-tearing.

I know that I want to be a physical therapist instead of working in another health field because I am interested in the one on one patient rehabilitation aspect of the health field. My goals for the future are to receive my doctorate and to work in a orthopedic residency program after graduate school so I can gain experience. Then my dream job is to rehabilitate athletes. I want to help others at a time when they will need help the most and will likely feel that their love of sports is gone. I know that the next three years of my life will not be easy, I know this is what I was meant to do and I will do everything to make sure I am the best that I can be.
xborndaballx 1 / 2  
I too am working on my PTCAS essay and after reading yours I feel you have done a great job portraying your interest in the field! Good luck with everything!

Home / Graduate / 'different settings' - Graduate school essay Physical Therapy