My dream growing up, but not stopping there;MSN (FNP):

BGrn 1 / 3  
Hi! My instructions are a little vague but: 500 words, double spaced. One college told me to include my definition/philosophy of a FNP. The other wants professional goals (i don't know that this essay will cut it for that, but i can tweak it later)

Thank you!

In my childhood, boys wanted to become astronauts or firemen, and girls princesses or teachers. Growing up I knew what I wanted to be, a nurse. I am one of the few that knew her dream early on, and gets to live it now. As an RN, I have been able to walk down many paths with my patients. I have been with them through laughter, tears, frustrations and accomplishments. Advancing my career to the next level as a Family Nurse Practitioner, would allow me to provide excellent patient care through expanding my professional skill set.

Eight years of my career have exposed me to many experiences on a med/surge floor, ICU, and then most recently, specialty procedures in the Cath Lab. Six months into my journey in the ICU, I was faced with a 19 year old trauma patient fighting for his life. As his primary nurse, I fought as hard as I could to save his life by using my knowledge, training, and instinct. My ability to think on my feet and control my adrenaline helped me prioritize and implement care interventions to stabilize his vital signs and neurological status. It was an emotional roller coaster day! I shared my accomplishments with his family and for now, he was stable. At the end of my shift, as many trauma patients do, he took a turn for the worst. Again, I worked feverishly to stabilize him with the orders I had available to me. When I exhausted my plan of care, I utilized Kay, our ICU Nurse Practitioner, to help us get through this storm. Together, we devised a new plan, updated family, and continued to provide the best care possible. It was then that I saw how valuable she was as a resource to our team. Kay's knowledge and expertise was used in helping to save that boy's life, and she shared that with me. By doing so, she sparked an interest in me to seek more, learn more and become a better advocate to my patients and to be a valuable resource to the team.

I love being a nurse, but I have a yearning for more. Becoming a Family Nurse Practitioner will enhance my overall understanding of individualized patient care. By having the autonomy to diagnose, prescribe and manage the care of a patient in the Acute Care setting, I can directly impact my patient's outcomes and also be a strong resource to my health care team. The role of a Family Nurse Practitioner is diverse and evolving. Family Nurse Practitioners are not only primary care providers, but are patient advocates, educators, leaders, and resources.

I have a strong worth ethic with a tenacity for learning more. I am excited to take on a new journey in my career, and ready to begin the Family Nurse Practitioner program. I am eager to succeed and excel in your program so that I can continue living out my dream as a strong and educated professional.
iampomah - / 2  
1) and for now, he was stable. = and for that window of time, he was stable.
2) It was an emotional roller coaster day! = It was a day of emotional turbulence
3) At the end of my shift, as many trauma patients do, he took a turn for the worst. = However, at the end of my shift he took a turn for the worst -as many trauma patients do-

4) with the orders I had = I really don't know whats wrong but the use of orders there is weird to me
5) worth ethic = do you mean work ethic?
6) to take on a new = to embark on a new

7)Wow I loved the essay but I would want to know why you have that passion. What about nursing drives you??
8)Great intro.
9)I will come back and read over to see if I can spot something the second time

P.s Make me aware of anything I misunderstood and things you don't agree with me on.
OP BGrn 1 / 3  
I really appreciate the replies. I love the changes and appreciate the feedback. "orders" in this situation means: physicians orders, order sets, protocols etc. my "orders" in nursing world mean the doctor wrote them out, i'm following them. I can change that sentence some to make it clear. I agree that i need to write more about my drive as a nurse....not sure how to do it with 500 words nor do i know what to cut out!!! Ugh these essays are going to be the death of me...atleast IN nurse practitioner school the essays are patient driven and go towards a solution or theme or theory!

thank you!!!!!
.not sure how to do it with 500 words nor do i know what to cut out!!! Ugh these essays are going to be the death of me.

Lol... yes, they do :D
Let's see whether I can be of any help to cut the word count;

In my childhood, boys wanted to become astronauts or firemen, and girls princesses or teachers.

.... here you can pick what is relevant to you;
Like many other little girls I too dreamed of becoming a princess or a teacher.

Growing up I knew what I wanted to be, a nurse. I am one of the few that knew her dream early on, and gets to live it now.

However, growing up, I soon found my real passion in nursing and began to pursue it.
Cmac416 1 / 2 1  
Looks good. Maybe some specifics on how the program would benefit you. Talking about what you know about their the program.
OP BGrn 1 / 3  
fyi: i have added in a few sentences already, but now looking for any big errors etc that may stick out!

thanks!
B

Home / Graduate / My dream growing up, but not stopping there;MSN (FNP):