Home / Graduate   % width NEW!

'dreamed to travel around the world' - UT at Austin MPA personal statment

zmj7706 3 / 9  
Explain how obtaining a Master's degree at the McCombs School of Business will assist you in further defining and achieving your primary personal and/or professional life goals. Why is now the best time for you to pursue this degree? Your explanation should include, but not necessarily be limited to, a description of both your intermediate and longer-term career goals, as well as a current vision of your desired employment upon graduation. Be specific.

Have you ever dreamed to travel around the world? Will you consider working in taxation to realize your dream? Yes, I am. I plan to be an international tax professional in a public accounting firm in realization of my world-travel dream. My purpose of seeing the world is to learn from differences, of which taxation is an inevitable one.

I enjoy travelling because it gives me a chance to learn from differences. The differences in language, cuisine, living style, transportation, and even restroom facilities are cultural characteristics that make each area of this world unique. Observing and understanding the difference in each area is interesting to me and makes me reexamine and improve myself.

I have never noticed the importance role of taxation in a territory's social and economic system until I came to the U.S. to pursue my college degree. If I purchased something, there would be a sales tax. If I have earned money through the year, I would better pay attention when the April 15th was approaching. In the economics class, professors always reminded me tax was used by government to intervene the market. Finance teachers kept saying how taxes affected capital structure. This unique experience makes me realize that understanding taxation is another way to understand a country's better.

It is with great interest that I am applying for admission to the Traditional Master of Professional Accounting (MPA) program at the McCombs School of Business. The curriculum will help me obtain knowledge of international taxation in various topics, such as the role of tax treaties. I believe that the MPA program will facilitate my future success.

One of the reasons for my interest in international taxation is that it requires accounting knowledge and economic analysis. Upon taking various accounting and economics courses, I have realized that accounting is a language for managers to communicate with investors while economics helps people analyze issues from a macro perspective. I admire both ways of thinking and seek to work at the intersection of both fields.

I am passionate to pursue a position in the arena of international taxation for corporations. By studying taxation systems in various territories I would have a glance of their economy conditions. In addition, while more and more corporations are going globally, I would see how multinational businesses achieve their goals in a tax-efficient manner. This work will provide me lifelong learning in a dynamic field.

Another topic attracting me is tax issues arising from business reorganization. From my tax and finance courses, I noticed that taxation played a vital role in deciding business structure. I hope to explore the tax issues related merger and acquisition by taking ACC 384.4 Tax Planning for Business Entities at McCombs School of Business.

In the long term of my career, I expect to advice developing and under-developed countries on achieving their economy initiatives through establishing effective taxation systems, starting from my home country-People's Republic of China. In the past a few years, China reformed its financial reporting to meet international standards while enormous foreign investments came to China. After years of double digits GDP growth, China is facing challenges in transition from manufacturing-based economy to knowledge-based economy. In accordance with opening market to foreign investors, China grants various tax incentives for manufacturing enterprises. When China's economy form is possible going to change, China also needs to a new tax incentive structure to achieve its new goal. I hope to use my international taxation background to help China transform to next economy stage successfully.

In order to achieve these goals, I am working hard to gain a Bachelor of Arts in Economics and a Bachelor of Science in Accounting at Meredith College, which is one of two independent women's colleges to receive AACSB accreditation in the world. Beyond accounting and economics, I have taken other courses to develop my creativity and technology skills. I was happy to have two photos selected for the Annual Juried Student Art Exhibition at the school. Additionally, I am glad to have a chance to apply my knowledge learned from web design class to create a website for a study abroad program offered by the School of Business to enhance my presentation skills.

In the summer of 2010, I attended summer school at London School of Economics and Political Science. This experience combined my eager to travel and my willingness to learn in an exceptional institution. Besides making friends with people around the world, I gained less biased perspective towards other cultures and people, which I believe would be valued in the globalized business environment.

Last summer, I was fortunate to have an internship offered by the North Carolina Department of State Treasurer. In my project of organizing tangible receipts and reports from 1980-1997, my ability to work with accuracy and close to detail was extremely crucial. In assistance to prepare unclaimed tangible properties for appraisal, I was able to reduce a week's work to a couple of days.

While convergence project of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and International Financial Reporting Standards is undergoing, and reform of taxation is proposed by presidential candidates in the United States, I believe now is the ideal time for me to get in-depth training in tax planning and financial reporting. Moreover, the wide breath of accounting knowledge in the MPA program can help me review for the CPA exam, which I am planning to pass before summer 2013. I would like to build a strong knowledge base before starting work full time.

The MPA program at McCombs School of Business is widely recognized as the top accounting program in the United States with its renowned faculties and energetic students. I am eager to start a new journey to make me more professional and competitive in the international accounting field. I believe I am a competent applicant based on my strong academic background and rich experience, and I sincerely ask for your favorable consideration for admission.

please let me what I should take out, what I should keep, what I should add, and any grammar errors. Thanks in advance.

Home / Graduate / 'dreamed to travel around the world' - UT at Austin MPA personal statment