"Through education to PA" - CASPA personal narrative for PA program

eliwin 1 / 3  
For my CASPA application: USING YOUR OWN WORDS, in the space provided write a brief statement expressing your motivation or desire to become a physician assistant. *In the essay have the physician's name written in

Thanks for any input!

When I began college at the University of Florida, I did not have a clear career path in mind. As I ventured through my first two semesters, I discovered that I had an interest in studying science. I was fortunate enough to convert that into a baccalaureate degree in Food Science and Human Nutrition. While at UF, I started working in a lab as a technician and enjoyed it so much that I continued to do so for several years after my graduation in 2003. When I decided to enter the medical field, I went back to school to become a Surgical Technologist, and was valedictorian of my class. In 2006, I began working for Dr. B, a private-practice hand surgeon. It was his encouragement and interest in my education that has lead me to becoming a Physician Assistant.

Initially, my understanding of what a Physician Assistant did was limited. My first encounter with a P.A. was during my Surgical Tech externship. The P.A.s that were brought in to assist were able to participate in the surgery, acting as a second set of hands for the surgeon. It seemed to be a great progression from being a Scrub Tech, who is traditionally responsible for instrumentation and only minimally assists the surgeon, to becoming a P.A. who actually gets to participate in the surgery. While working in Dr. B's office I realized the wide array of fields that are available to Physician Assistants. We would receive phone calls from the emergency room P.A.s who had examined patients and were contacting Dr. B for consultations on hand injuries. If the injury was simple enough, he would explain to the P.A. what the proper treatment was, and the P.A. was to carry out the treatment him/herself. I would also encounter patients that came to the office, having been referred by a Physician Assistant who treated them regularly at their General Practitioner's office. The multitude of fields available to P.A.s is just one of the aspects of the job that interests me.

After further researching Physician Assistants, I discovered that P.A.s play a much larger role in the medical field than I had ever anticipated. Most Physicians are overextended, particularly those in general practice, and P.A.s are imperative in helping to maintain a high level of patient satisfaction. As a P.A., I would become an integral part of the medical team, providing patients with the personalized care that they expect and deserve, while allowing the Physician to focus on the more complex injuries and conditions that require the experience and education of a Physician. I want to become a Physician Assistant so that I can take on a higher level of responsibility to both my patients and my Physician. I believe that my current position has provided me with a strong understanding the importance of individual patient care that will serve as groundwork for my continuing education.

Originally, my job duties in Dr. B's office did not include much patient interaction, but as I proved my interest and ability, my responsibilities were expanded to include removing sutures, removing/applying dressings, and fabricating splints and casts. Additionally, I review the patients' medical histories and current symptoms, so that I can provide the doctor with a brief explanation of why the patients are there. As I continued to show interest, Dr. B would review test results with me, explaining what he was looking for. Why it was that some fractures could be treated with immobilization, while others required surgery to heal properly. A patient may have a normal test result, yet surgery is the recommended treatment because the patient's symptoms are affecting his/her activities of daily living. Not only are the patient's signs and symptoms considered, but also what the patient wants, how the patient feels, and what the patient is willing to do to help him/herself through the treatment process. Working with Dr. B has taught me so much about treating patients' as individuals, and not simply injuries or symptoms. This has provided me with a unique perspective on how to provide excellent patient care.

My path toward becoming a P.A. has not been a direct route, but each step along the way has taught me valuable lessons that will be carried with me throughout my career. Working in the research lab taught me patience and the importance of honest and thorough documentation. Going through the Surgical Technology program taught me sterile technique, instrumentation, and hospital staff dynamics. Finally, working in a Physician's office has proven my ability to handle many responsibilities and has provided me with experience in patient interaction. The sum of my experiences is a substantial foundation, but it is my desire to move forward with my education and take on a career that is more challenging and demanding that drives me. I know that, given the opportunity, I will be an excellent Physician Assistant.
It was his encouragement and interest in my education that has led me to becoming a Physician Assistant.

I want to become a Physician Assistant so that I can take on a higher level of responsibility to both my patients and the Physician.

I believe that my current position has provided me with a strong understanding of the importance of individual patient care, which will serve as groundwork for my continuing education.

...expanded to include removing sutures, removing/applying dressings, and fabricating ---Are you sure that 'fabricating' is the right word? I'm not in the med. field, so am not sure, but it doesn't seem right.---splints and casts.

For example, why it was that some fractures could be treated with immobilization, while others required surgery to heal properly.

Working in the research lab has taught me patience and the importance of honest and thorough documentation.

The sum of my experiences is a substantial foundation, but it is my desire to move forward with my education and take on a career which is more challenging and demanding, one that drives me.

They'll be lucky to have you as a student!

:)

Home / Graduate / "Through education to PA" - CASPA personal narrative for PA program