Effective points for studying Petroleum Engineering as a EEE engineer

Iftakhar 1 / -  
Hi,
I have completed my Engineering in Electrical and Electronic. Now I want to study Petroleum Engineering. Can someone suggest me some effective points that can help me in writing my sop related to my background??? I also have experienced telecommunication industry....
Pay attention to the purpose throughout the statement so that extraneous material is left out.
It should reveal that you care deeply about your chosen discipline and that you have the background to support your ideas and sentiments. It should also demonstrate that you're a diligent student who will remain committed for the long haul.

Your SOP should be unique while it's important to be focused. It should not sound boring.
klaas 1 / 5 1  
Dumi. Could you please check mine too?
The deadline is rather close so if you could go through it in a harsh manner i'd be grateful.
Tanim - / 4  
It seems very difficult to write a statement of interest on petroleum Engineering

Hi,
my name is Mohammed Khaled.i am a Electrical engineer and working at a power generation company (based on high fuel oil). now i want to complete my MS degree on petroleum Engineering from abroad.as my subject is EEE, so it seems very difficult to me to write a statement of interest on petroleum Engineering....please help me.it's urgent
Mohammed, I realize how difficult it might seem to find a connection between Electronic Engineering and Petroleum Engineering. However, if you perform a simple Google search, you will find that there are actually ways and means to connect the two fields in an accurate way. In fact, there already is a connection between the two, you just don't realize it yet. You have a degree in Engineering which is the most basic educational foundation required of anyone who wishes to work in the field of Petroleum Engineering. You have a fundamental understanding of the requirements of the course and you can provide a different kind of service in this field.

You should try to look into the drilling and, artificial lift systems, and the electrical engineering needs of the oil and gas facilities. These areas of Petroleum Engineering require people with your background to make the system run efficiently or develop systems that will further enhance the performance of its area duties. If you do further research into the requirements for these PE related jobs, you just might find some information that you can use for your statement of intent draft.

Here is an idea. Use the information I provided above and try to draft a statement of interest on your part. Try to display a keen interest in PE even while having studied EEE. Maybe there are some parts of your EEE training or work experience that somehow can relate to the field of PE. It might be a bit difficult to do but we might just be able to spin your information into something positive in relation to your interest in PE. You will never know unless you try. We will be here to help you try to find that relationship :-)
Tanim - / 4  
Thank you very much for your kind information.I already tried to write one.But i think it's not well arranged.would you please check the letter, so that i can finally submit!

Study Plan

As the world of today strives to find new avenues of power resources and the demand for safe, affordable, clean energy is increasing constantly, the petroleum industry seems to be the most prospective one. So I am passionately looking forward for a career in this field. My particular interest in the oil sector persuaded me to apply for this program of Petroleum Engineering. I think this master program will broaden my technical skills and expertise in area of petroleum exploration and production. That's why I am extremely interested in the petroleum engineering especially in the opportunities available through your prestigious institution.

I have completed B.Sc. Degree in Electrical and Electronic Engineering with CGPA 3.625 in scale of 4.0 from International Islamic University Chittagong, Bangladesh. During my undergraduate education, I have acquired a science-engineering program emphasizing Mathematics, Chemistry, Physics, Energy conversion, Thermal Engineering and Computer programming which provides the necessary background for petroleum engineering. During my stint at University, there had been a great deal of focus on subject of increasing energy consumption, dwindling resources and slow growth of alternative energy sources. These trends further inspired me to build on my technical skills and to be a part of engineering teams that explore economical ways of exploring for oil and gas.

In all these years, my ambition to join and contribute to the oil and gas industry has grown stronger. The oil & gas industry has changed our lives through the recent few decades, and I want to play a major role in this change. A career in oil and gas is very attractive to me as it also offers great opportunities to travel and work with multicultural teams around the world.

Presently, I am working in S.alam Power Generation Company Limited Bangladesh, with designation of Graduate Engineer. I am responsible to understand and learn about different oil based power generation projects of company and to get well acquainted with that. I often got involved in scientific discussions related to operations at project with Reservoir, Petroleum and/or Production Engineers which served to further increase my interest in the field of Petroleum Engineering.

I am aware that studying towards a MS in Petroleum science requires strong motivation, hard work, maturity, the capacity to think independently and the ability to work as a team, the qualities which I believe I possess. I have excellent communication skill in English and sound knowledge in computer especially on MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint, MS Access and basic Computer Hardware knowledge. Therefore, I want to join in a reputed organization where I shall be able to prove my eligibility by working with the professionals and thus enhance my professional skills. In a word, I do believe, I am a competent candidate for the MS program.
Well, you do seem to have a pretty strong background in engineering. The tie in to the field of petroleum engineering with your current line of employment seems quite evident. So you do not have a problem with that connection. However, since this is a statement of intent, it would be best if you pull back on the information about your college academics. It's kind of not really that important a consideration for the admissions officer reviewing your application because his concentration will be focused on your intention for enrolling for a masters in PE.

Instead of enumerating your college background, what would help your application more will be a more detailed explanation of your current work and how it relates to PE. I would highlight the fact that you work with PE's all the time and that your intricate work knowledge in the field comes from your hands on experience. That is something that the reviewer will definitely find impressive and explain a tremendous amount regarding your desire to pursue a career in this field.

Speaking of a career in this field, it would help if you could at least present a 5 year plan for after you complete your studies. It is best if you can explain to the reviewer where you see this masters degree leading you to career-wise. You can start by explaining how you feel the university can best help you achieve your study goals which will then lead you to a more fulfilling career path within say 5 years.

If you can revise your essay to reflect the necessary information and post it here, I can help you clean it up so that it will finally be ready for submission. I am sorry that you have to do this, but statement of intent papers go through at least one revision in order to meet the goal of the applicant. We should be done before you know it. Just be patient a little longer :-)
- ...the most prospectiveprogressive one.
- So I am passionately looking
- I thinkbelieve this masters program
- will broaden my technical skills and expertise in the area

- ...that exploreformulate economical ways of exploring for oil and gas.
- In aA ll these years,
- ...through the recent few decades,

- Presently, I am currently working in

- I am aware that studying towards a MS in Petroleum
- the qualities which I believe I possess.
- I have excellent communication skills in English
- eligibility byin working with the professionals,
- and thus enhance my professional skills.
- In a word, I do believe, I am a competent candidate for the MS program.

Well, I hope this few enhancements of your essay, helps.
I don't know much about petroleum engineering, I just know that the demand for a variety of resources for oil and gas is absolutely sky rocketed over the past few years and having someone like you who's eager to further their study in such a complicated and rewarding field is very good to know.

I wish you the best of luck, do let us know how it goes, we would love to hear from you.
Tanim - / 4  
Thank you very much for the correction.specially justivy, i didn't even expect such a good/great behave...you all are very helpful
Tanim - / 4  
one of my teacher tell me, if i want to get scholarship then i have to change my MS interest (funding by me) to the research based MS (funding by University) .He also told me that i must show the interest on research which is similar to any one of the faculty member to get appointment as his research assistant.

i have found a faculty member.He authored and/or co-authored more than 100 research articles focusing on reservoir engineering and modeling, reservoir simulation, reservoir characterization, enhanced oil recovery (EOR), drilling fluid, drilling waste management, and environmental sustainability.Three additional books are in progress: two books will cover drilling issues and solutions, and one book will focus on reservoir simulation.

please help me to revise...

Study Plan
Mohammed, this is not a study plan nor a statement of purpose. This is more of a general personal essay that talks of your achievements and background. If you want to get a research scholarship, you will need to develop a totally new essay that will focus on your desire to complete some research work at the university.

When you compose your next version of your statement of interest, try to concentrate on the reasons why you are interested in pursuing this field of petroleum engineering. You need to outline your desire to improve the way that energy is harvested from nature and how it can be made even cleaner, more efficient, and if possible, create a renewable energy source from the already existing technology. That will be the basis of your statement of interest in a particular research field. You can't apply for a research scholarship if you don't have a research plan to present. Your studies should be focused on developing your research, with the objective of having a solid purpose or application towards the end of your masters degree studies. In other words the research project should cover a good 4 year of academic study in order to qualify for such a grant. Be specific. Present a hypothetical statement that you feel can be answered by a deeper understanding of Petroleum Engineering. Then explain why you feel why that particular research is important for the advancement of the PE field.

Consider the works of the professor that you want to shadow and work with as an assistant at the university. Try to come up with a project of your own that will build upon the foundation of the research results of this professor. If you can create that particular study connection in your plan, then you will be able to inform the reviewer as to why you feel that studying at their university is of the utmost importance to you.

I have a friend who is on a research scholarship in Australia. It is not an easy thing to do because your research needs to actually show the university that it has some sort of real world application or relevance. He has been working with a particular professor for most of the years he has been in Australia and he has yet to come to some convincing practical application for his study. So if you want to get a research scholarship grant, you are going to have to come up with a highly convincing study plan that has some real world relevance. It won't be easy but it can be done.
Mohhamed, your previous essay was good as it was for the purpose of funding your own directions for your career, however, this time it's a study plan that could give you a shot for a research together with highly trained and respected professionals, so make it work.

First thing that you have to do and this applies to future writing reference and life in general, research first, know the basic, foundation or the origin of a certain study or subject matter.

Next, learn how to improve the process at every angle.
Do an extensive, research based framework that is realistic and reliable, gather facts and figures and make sure you never alter or shorten such process or procedure.

Now, formulate a study plan, a study plan is the act of processing what you've learned in a certain field of study and formulate a plan to further such research that could result in innovative development. This is what you need. You need to know the process, step by step procedures, more so, the progress of each and every side of the study.

I'm not sure how to start this study plan as I'm not an expert in your field, I suggest that you browse through a few students here on EF who did an SOP on the same field and gather some basic ideas then incorporate it with your world of study. This should work.

I hope to see you study plan here on EF so we can help you further.

Home / Graduate / Effective points for studying Petroleum Engineering as a EEE engineer