Home / Graduate   % width NEW!

'enchanting research', essay for PhD in molecular biology

atins 1 / 1  
i have written the following terse essay for PhD in molecular biology. i invite all the suggestions to make it better and more appealing!

Science, the nature and its essence, and the deep mysteries have always enchanted me. From the text books to the world around me, I could never stop myself from looking and cogitate beyond what the ordinary could see and think. With due course of time, I realized that to satiate my craving desire to dwell into the unsolved and to disinter the secrets of the living world, a doctorate, the highest embodiment of academia, was necessary. I, therefore, plan to take up PhD in molecular biology and pursue research thereof.

My interest in science veered towards research in biotechnology when, during the school days, I attended an orientation program at Institute of Himalayan Bioresource Technology (CSIR lab), where I got the chance to try my hands on advanced biotechnological techniques and interact with some eminent researchers. My ambitions got a big boost when I won the, Deptt. of Science and Technology, Govt. of India sponsored, National Innovation Challenge and shared the moment of my life with Prof. Yash Pal, whose inspiring vision instigated me to pursue science with research aptitude.

Following his words and my keen interest, I took up B.Sc. (Hons.) Biotechnology. The course work provided me firm theoretical base and ample opportunity to learn basic and advanced techniques in microbiology, animal and plant cell culture, biochemistry, immunology, molecular biology, etc. in the lab. I went for industrial trainings and projects at different levels that served to complement my course work and gave me an insight to how the work is actually carried out on the industrial scale. Subsequently, I worked on a project titled, "To study the relation between oxidative stress and fruit ripening in Psidium guajava". Besides teaching enzymological and cellular biological techniques, this experience nurtured my research aptitude which was in a neonatal stage.

I advanced to M.Sc. (Hons.) Biotechnology to reinforce my knowledge base formed as an undergraduate. Using my past research experience, I designed a project titled, "Covalent immobilization of Sapindus peroxidase on polyaniline and its use for bioremediation of 4-Chlorophenol". Designing and execution of this project equipped me with all the virtues of a true researcher, the systematic approach, the research framework, the technical know-how and most importantly, patience and ability to deal with failures. With vivid research experience and great motivation for science, my remarkable success at CSIR-National Eligibility Test (CSIR-NET) and Graduate Aptitude Test Examination (GATE), for the prestigious Junior Research Fellowship (JRF), was no surprise. I am currently working on a challenging multidisciplinary project titled, "To predict vaccine targets for Acinetobacter baumannii, using reverse vaccinology, and their validation in vivo", which entails aspects of microbiology, immunology, bioinformatics and molecular biology and I have finally found that my interest lies in the study of the zigzag of life, the DNA, and the molecular aspects of life.

Apart from science I find solace in staying close to the nature and enjoy trekking and excursions. I love to paint, sing and play guitar with my friends.

Living in a milieu where people prefer lucrative careers over research, I battled the strong peer pressure to preserve the light of research from dying down. I find the program at your prestigious institution catering dearly to my needs. With the state of art technology you offer and my creative and determined bent for research, I believe that I can shine as another jewel at your palace and give a new dimension to my career.

Home / Graduate / 'enchanting research', essay for PhD in molecular biology