'Energetic and philanthropic' - goal statement, george mason university

akanjigbolahan 1 / 2  
My desire to pursue graduate study in the Unites States is underscored by the desire to be a part of the graduate program at your prestigious institution. George Mason University offers the flexibility needed for such a vast and rapid changing field. The research facilities and the department at the university are per excellent. That is why I feel so excited in filling this application to your esteemed university for a Master's program in Telecommunications, having achieved a satisfactory academic performance in my major Electronics at the department of Electronic and Electrical Engineering, Obafemi Awolowo University. Communication is an industry that has changed our lives. In a very short period it has changed the way we looked at things since centuries. It is one industry that is going to shape our future for centuries to come. What a fulfilling life it will be to contribute my enduring dedication to this exciting technology.

My interest in electronics bloomed during my secondary school days. It was time when technology had begun to make an impact on the lives of the people of Nigeria. Hence, Electrical and Electronic Engineering was the first choice for my diploma studies. With this great intent, I proceed for my undergraduate studies in Electronic and Electrical Engineering with Electronics as my major. Right since my diploma study electronics is a subject that has enthralled me with its power of application. The subjects that have studied include electric circuit theory, physical electronics, pulse and digital techniques, electromagnetic theory, digital signal processing, optical electronics, communication principles among others. My undergraduate studies already focus on the communication aspect of electronics. A master's degree in electrical engineering with telecommunications as my major field is the next logical step.

For the past five years I have been working in Telecommunication companies in Nigeria. I have been privileged to work with different professionals and researchers. Being a team player, an analytical thinker, a discreet young man, blessed with a gift for observation and a quiet but strong sense of humor, I have contributed immensely towards the realization of these organization goals and target. As a Telecommunication Network Engineer, I was responsible for eliminating problems arising in the telecommunication network, providing suggestions for efficient functioning of the network systems of the organization ; and setting project activities' standards and milestones for building and upgrading the working of the network systems. Moreover, having worked as a Telecommunication Field Engineer, I was responsible for installing, testing and commissioning of telecommunication devices like switches, routers, IPMU, IPMS, rectifiers, generators, BTS, peripheral equipment and data communication equipment. Also, I was accountable for conducting field's surveys, preparing technical documents, monitoring data communication systems, addressing network issues and monitoring fault tolerance. Presently working as a project coordinator, am in charge of monitoring of construction quality and control, supervision process on site, effective project management and ensuring that the site infra vendors meet all regulations and implement all security measures.

Energetic and philanthropic, I have been an extracurricular activist. As public relation officer of the Departmental Student Union, Assistant General Secretary of Federation of Eruwa Students' union, Public relation officer of the Departmental Week Organizing committee, I have organized a series of activities which include but are not limited to sport competition, Talk show, Quiz and debate, film and cultural festivals. With an unmatchable spirit of sportsmanship, I have won major prizes in football, Scrabble and Chess. Far from affecting my academic performance, my extracurricular involvements have contributed greatly to my unparallel personal qualities, improving my decision- making and problem-solving abilities, catalyzed my leadership skills and interpersonal communication, making me realized the need to learn from others and becoming liberal and eclectic.

Telecommunications is the most rapidly developing technology over the past two decades and it a field in which Nigeria is following closely in the international trends. As a student with strong engineering background and as an experienced technical professional, I am very interested in seeking further academic and career development in this field. In contrast to communication systems, MS in Telecommunications combines technical courses like wireless system, network security, system engineering and management as well as telecommunication policy, law and business.

George Mason University comes on top of my priorities because it is a top ranking university in the United States and in the entire world. In the field of telecommunication, in particular, it enjoys an unparallel position. It offers many research programs and the research environment in outstanding. I am deeply aware that for a person who seeks excellence and who wishes to achieve some innovative research results in telecommunication, is is important that he or she thrust into an environment which is challenging and competitive as it is stimulating, promising the realization of one's ambitions. In my proposed program, the courses I would like to take include system engineering for Telecommunication management, Fiber optic communication, Optical communication Network, Voice over IP (VoIP), Security and privacy issues in Telecommunications, Network security, Applied cryptography, network Forensics and operation of Intrusion detection and Forensics. If possible, I would like to participate in research projects of my potential advisor and the practical experience gained from these projects will become the basis of my dissertation.

An experience that happened to me about nine months ago- one our client BTS site ( Airtel Africa) went down for some days. As the project coordinator, I compelled the contractor to resolve this snag immediately. But all the technical personnel deployed were unable to resolve the problem. I took a bold step to visit the site, a journey that took ten hours, with a determination of finding a lasting solution to this menace. After troubleshooting for 4 hours, I was able to resolve the problem. Therefore, I was awarded the best employee for the month and my appraisal was outstanding "A". This constantly reminds me that servanthood is an irrefutable law of leadership.

Nigeria is a developing country with an enormous potential in the information technology industry. To serve the need of this developing industry and most especially its vast population, telecommunication is going to be of utmost importance. It is no doubt that Nigeria has the fastest growing telecommunication business in Sub-Sahara Africa and indeed in the world. Thus, conditions in George Mason University are very conducive to supplement my aspirations when I return after completing my graduate studies.
OP akanjigbolahan 1 / 2  
Words cannot express how grateful I am for this wonderful work you have done for me. From the in-depth of my heart, I say, God bless you. Best Regards
ah_zafari [Contributor] 40 / 672 148  
I think it is not appropriate to start the introduction with some statements about the university. U should begin with some interesting statements. It would be better to write about what encourages you to study and then talk about the academic atmosphere and the facilities of the university. I think you should write about the university in the body and after stating your educational and professional experiences. After stating such experiences you can connect them to the university and the reasons why you chose this place for studying.

Regards
Ahmad

Home / Graduate / 'Energetic and philanthropic' - goal statement, george mason university