Energy Efficiency: Statement of Objectives for masters in microsystems engineering

mura 1 / 1  
Applying to graduate school was not always my main goal; however, some of my college and life experiences have shaped my decision to pursue a graduate program in Electrical Engineering. My interest towards to sustainability emerged due to my fascination about efficiency in both its environmental, economical and social impacts. Efficiency can be seen as an ability to avoid waste and as an Electrical Engineering student I am mostly concerned about energy efficiency.

Any human activity is based on some kind of energy, and mainly after the industrialization the humans became extremely dependent on electrical energy. In order to feed this need, society based its energy source on fossil fuel, however a deliberated usage has become a concern. Only an efficient production and distribution along with a rational usage can lead to a sustainable, clean and long-lasting society in the future. At the same time new renewable energy sources can eventually fulfill our needs without compromising the environment, the employment of more efficient systems allow us to achieve costs reduction and consequently impacting social lives.

During my undergraduate career, besides the typical engineering core subjects, I was able to take courses in many Electrical Engineering areas such as digital systems & microprocessors, electronics, control systems, instrumentation, communication systems and electromagnetics. Among these areas, the courses that motivated me the most were Electrical and Optical Properties of Materials, Electromagnetic Waves and Electronics. Specifically, the first subject was very challenging because most of the work was done on my own and I had to give a lecture about Infinite Potential Well and Quantum Tunneling to my classmates. This experience allowed me to work independently and acquire some knowledge about quantum mechanics.

On the other hand, taking 3 levels of both theoretical and practical Electronics classes provided me hands-on experience working within a team and extended my knowledge in semiconductors and microelectronics. In addition, my team designed an operational amplifier and an audio amplifier project using SPICE software.

In 2013, I earned a scholarship to study for one year at The Pennsylvania State University through the Science Without Borders program, created by the Brazilian government. During that time I took several courses related to Power Systems. These courses include Power Electronics and Energy Conversion. I also completed courses in other topical areas, such as, Communication Systems and Bioengineering. Moreover, I joined the Pennsylvania State University's Advanced Vehicle Team, in which I was a member of the controls group and my responsibilities included updating the current control algorithms and working on the vehicle's model for the powertrain startup procedure. This practical experience helped me develop significant experience in the key engineering software tools, such as, Matlab, Simulink, and Stateflow.

The final assignment during my year abroad was a three-month internship at Embraer, an aircraft manufacturer located in Melbourne, Florida. As an intern, I worked with product development division. My tasks were to identify, research, and select the necessary hardware for a wireless system prototype. Thus, I developed a solid understanding of the steps involved in implementing an idea from the beginning.

These experiences were crucial in my decision to further my education because I could realize my potential to contribute to the world I live through my dedication and effort. I came back to Brazil, very motivated to achieve my new goal. This new mindset inspired me to be a better and more committed student. Since my return to Brazil, in 2014, I have achieved an 85% average grade, which has certainly placed me in the top 5% among engineering students at my university. Although, I do not have any particular research experience, I am being able to improve my analytical skills working on my undergraduate thesis, in which I am currently designing an efficient method for regulating PV modules output voltage.

Due to my interest and belief that efficiency is an important factor for the environment and society, I wish to pursue graduate studies in the academic area that provides a focus in photonics, optical sensors, electronic-photonics integration and solar cells. I am keenly interested in the research being conducted in this disciplinary area at Masdar Institute. A specific program such as Microsystems Engineering will offer me the best opportunity to substantially gain new knowledge and research experience in this area. Aside from Masdar Institute's astounding academics, Masdar Institute offers the opportunity to thrive through a live laboratory and a diverse community, which can promote intellectual thinking in different perspectives. An institution dedicated to research and equipped with state-of-the-art facilities will offer the best opportunity to gain more knowledge and research experience.

Once I complete my Master's degree, I am looking forward to working in a company where I can build a bridge between theory and the practical world in order to develop new products and solutions. In future, I hope to return to school to further my education by pursuing a doctorate and possibly remaining in the academic field to conduct research and deliver effective education/training to the graduate and undergraduate engineering students.

Given the strong resources and knowledge provided by previous educational experiences in several Electrical Engineering fields along with being highly motivated with this opportunity, I firmly believe that I am in a good position to advance to the next level and succeed through graduate studies in Microsystems Engineering at Masdar Institute.

-----
Thanks in advance :)
ichanpants89 [Contributor] 16 / 777 309  
Murilo, welcome to EssayForum :) I would like to share my insights towards your essay, especially in first and second paragraph. This is the most crucial part in Statement of Objectives because it is the indicator whether the whole essay is interesting or not. Thus, you can see my detailed corrections in the descriptions below:

- My interest towards to sustainability emerged due to my fascination about efficiencyefficient sustainability inboth its environmental, economical and social impacts has increased exponentially.(the previous sentence was confusing, I gave you an alternative sentence)

- Efficiency can be seen as an ability to avoid waste, and therefore as an Electrical... (comma and cohesive devices are necessary)
- ...I am mostly concerned about energy efficiency. (to emphasize something, this is not convincing at all. "Mostly" means you still have limitation in expressing your concern. Perhaps it is still better to say 'I am really/interestingly/deeply concerned about...')

- Most ofAny human activityactivitiesisare based on some kind ofvarious types of energy, and mainly after the industrialization the humans becamebecome extremely dependent on electrical energy. (this sentence is a parallel sentence, you need to maintain the same grammatical tenses)

- ...society basedrelieditstheir energy sources on fossil fuel, however a deliberated usage has become a concern. (it is not recommended to put however in the middle of a sentence, somehow it leads to inaccuracy. You have to be careful, or perhaps you can separate it.)

There you are Murilo, I hope you can follow through my feedback. Good luck in revising this essay. :)
OP mura 1 / 1  
Dear ichanpants89,

Thanks for your quick response!
Your comments are very valuable for me...I appreciate it!

Just another question...are the following paragraphs good? Should I keep them like that?

Best wishes!
Murilo, as much as I loved reading your essay with it's easy to understand techniques on explaining micro systems engineering, I must say this is quiet a long essay for a statement of purpose or an SOP.

Remember, an SOP is focused on your purpose of pursuing this field and in doing so, you have to elaborate the highlight of your academic background, the achievements and how you manage to build a firm decision in taking this field to a higher challenge. Moreover, what I would like to have eliminated or reduced rather in your essay is the part where you spoke about the details of your scholarship and the time you spent in Penn State, yes this is well worth of mention as it is needed in order to build the basis of your pursuit, however, you can limit the information in order to keep additional details to yourself and once needed, you will have something that the admission staff don't have.

I believe in an overall perspective, you were able to come up with a well written essay, just a few corrections and modifications such as suggested above from one of our contributors should help.

I hope to read your final revision soon.

Home / Graduate / Energy Efficiency: Statement of Objectives for masters in microsystems engineering