Not everyone is aware of the importance of anesthesiology. AA-PA personal statement narrative

abp2011 1 / 1  
Hi everyone,
I am applying to AA school and I was wondering if I could receive some input for my personal statement. Any criticism is welcome.
I would also like to know how you would incorporate bad grade due to family health issues in a statement like this. I have been trying to think of something but I cannot seem to figure it out. Thank you in advance.

Please explain your motivation for selecting a career in healthcare and specifically why you are interested in becoming an anesthesiologist assistant. Describe how your personal and professional background will help you achieve your career goals and eminently suit you for this profession.

Being told that something is wrong with you can be scary. Getting surgery performed on you can be terrifying. Patients that must be undergo anesthesia could become apprehensive about the whole procedure. But what helps is knowing that there is an anesthetist with you along the way. The anesthetist informs the patient of the surgery and attempts to calm their nerves before surgery. The anesthetist monitors and ensures the patient is stable during the surgery and informs the patient of the result of the surgery after the surgery. Essentially, the sole person that is concerned about the body as a whole during the surgery is the anesthetist. Two years ago, I had no idea what an anesthesiologist assistant was or that this highly skilled profession even existed.

When I began my journey at Georgia Southern University, I decided to major in biology because of my love for science and the human body. However, I was uncertain of which career path I wished to pursue. I was given the privilege to shadow various healthcare physicians around the area, which could help determine which field of medicine was for me. Of the specialties I had observed, I found that anesthesiology was the most intriguing and I was immediately attracted to it. In order to acquire more information about the speciality, I applied to volunteer at East Georgia Regional Medical Center in the anesthesia department. I began assisting the anesthesia technician with her daily responsibilities. She eventually introduced me to many anesthetists there. After shadowing many anesthetists, I quickly learned that much of the patient interaction was with the anesthesiologist assistant or the certified registered nurse anesthetist rather than the anesthesiologist. I was thrilled to see the anesthetist comfort the patient as well as his family before the surgery. I, then, realized that I did not want to become a physician but rather an anesthesiologist assistant because I wanted to provide that administrative and comforting experience for the patients and their loved ones.

After thorough research and several hours of volunteering in the department, I realized that becoming an anesthesiologist assistant is what my passion is. Through research and by questioning anesthetists, I learned that an anesthesiologist assistant was a highly skilled health professional, who had completed a master's degree in science and worked as part of the anesthesia care team, in conjunction with the certified registered nurse anesthetists and beneath the supervision of an anesthesiologist. I was delighted by the idea of working with various medical professionals as part of a team. I was, also, happy to find out that there would be an anesthesiologist available for guidance if it was ever required. Since my original interest was in the field of medicine, I was excited to find out that there was a variety in the surgical procedures that I could be working with in the operating room.

I know that when I become an anesthesiologist assistant, I will be a member of the essential anesthesia care team as well as the surgical team. I would be able to comfort patients and their families in their hard time and be able to do so comparatively soon. After numerous hours of research, volunteering, and shadowing, I am certain that the anesthesiologist assistant profession is the ideal career path for me.
makr 2 / 3  
But what helps is knowing that there is an anesthetist anaesthetist with you along the way

Of all the specialties I had observed
- ButHowever("But" connotes a very negative approach ) what helps is knowing
- ...that there is an anesthetistanesthesiologist with you along the way.
- The anesthetistanesthesiologist informs the patient of..
- ..the surgery and attemptsadminister anesthesia to calm their nerves before surgery.

Note: Change "anesthetist" to "anesthesiologist" all through out your essay as this is the right word to use in this case.

- ..I decided to major intake biology as my major because

- ...becoming an anesthesiologist assistant is whatwhere my passion islies .
- SinceAs my original interest was in the field of medicine,

Taking medicine as a path to conquer is challenging and interesting at the same time, it needs a lot of focus, undying love to help others and the passion to perform the task properly. An anesthesiologist is doing the same exact thing so I say good luck and prepare your gears for this chosen career.
lcturn87 - / 435 236  
I would like to help you with your essay.

There is a minor mistake. If you would like to change this sentence, you should use his or her because you state "the patient" which indicates only one person.

"The anesthetist informs the patient of the surgery and attempts to calm his or her nerves before surgery." If you want to be more specific you can replace "administer anesthesia" to replace attempts, which was stated in the previous post.

I think you should change the word order in the next sentence and possibly separate the duties of the anesthetist: "During the surgery, the anesthetist monitors and ensures the patient is stable. during the surgery and After the surgery is performed, the anesthetist informs the patient of the results of the surgery."

Here is a suggestion to help you make changes to the last sentence in the 2nd paragraph:
I, then, "After that observation, I realized that I did not want to become a physician, but rather an anesthesiologist assistant. because I wanted to provide that administrative and same comforting experience for the patients and their loved ones."

The next paragraph, you can rearrange one word: "Also, I was happy to find out that there would be an anesthesiologist available for guidance if it was ever required."

The last paragraph you mention in hard time, but you could change that to: "during difficult times".

I'm unsure when you received a bad grade. However, I will give you a suggestion if it happened during this time frame. In beginning of the second paragraph you discuss your uncertainty regarding your career path. You could state another uncertainty existed because you received a bad grade due to family health issues. Then the next sentence would discuss how shadowing in the healthcare field made a difference.

Also, I would like to address using anesthetist and anesthesiologist. When I researched the two terms, I see that there is a difference in training. If you are confident you are using the terms appropriately, then you shouldn't have to make changes.
OP abp2011 1 / 1  
----Thank you

Home / Graduate / Not everyone is aware of the importance of anesthesiology. AA-PA personal statement narrative