I will exceed your expectations; Master in communications, personal statement

Olesya 5 / 12 1  
I kindly ask to check my personal statement for applying for a Master degree in Communications. What is your general impression and recommendations about it?

To whom it may concern:

I would like to express my desire to study at the *** University in for 2013/14 academic year. I am applying for the Master degree in Communications from the Ecole de la communication.

To start with my academic background, I am currently studying Socio-Cultural Business for my last semester at the Saint Petersburg University of Humanities and Social Sciences, Russia. In May 2013 I will graduate with a specialist honors degree with an expected GPA of 5.0 (100%) which puts me among top three students at my university. Alongside this program I was doing a course in Conflict Management which was invented with the support of Vladimir Putin. I had finished this course with a bachelor degree and with a GPA of 4.8 out of 5 in December 2012.

In 2011 I have had a great opportunity to study abroad - I was chosen to participate in Erasmus Program and went for one semester to the University of Applied Sciences in Ludwigshafen, Germany. This experience gave me not only academic knowledge but also a capacity to adapt to a multicultural society.

As a part of my studying process I am a member of Student's Scientific Society, in which every year I participate in the Annual Science Student Conference. One of my projects called "Corporate Identity and Corporate Image as the Foundation for Corporate Communication" won the first place in my university and was chosen to participate in the All-Russian competition of student's projects.

Besides studying I regularly participate in university activities. Being an Ambassador of my university and a tutor for first-year students, I developed my presentation and interpersonal communication skills. Moreover, as a member of a Student Council I am liable for conducting such activities as student's competitions, concerts, games etc. I hope to apply my organizational attainments in *** students' community by providing international evenings, games and workshops. I believe this would give every student an opportunity to learn more about other cultures, traditions and ways of living. In the future I am planning to create a network for young specialists and leaders to help them find like-minded persons, share experiences and assist in solving different business problems.

Since childhood my parents taught me to be an honest and hardworking person and I do my best to follow their advice. I consider myself as an energetic and motivated individual who is able to study and work hard. I try not to waste every day of my life so I do a lot for self-educating. First of all, I really love learning foreign languages. Among English I also know French and German at the intermediate level. While studying in *** I'm planning to learn French better and perhaps take some courses in French during second semester. Furthermore, I participate actively in a social life of my city. As a member of a Russian Youth Volunteer Society I regularly take part in volunteer programs such as visiting orphanages and boarding schools for children with disabilities for organizing fun activities and games.

As for my other personal qualities I can mention my purpose and leadership skills. As a student I used to participate in a huge variety of group projects. I was often a team leader responsible for information gathering, role distribution, coordinating dates and interpersonal activities. Each time I headed the project our team achieved only the best results.

The motivation to take a degree in communications was firmed into a determination during my studying and working experience. On the second year of studying I have had a course in Marketing taught by a greatest professor I ever met. He has a wide experience in teaching and living in Europe, so he taught us really practical moments from modern European practice. His lectures have instilled me an interest in marketing and communications, so I decided to focus on that during my studying and working processes.

At the moment I am doing an internship in a marketing communications agency. I find this area really interesting and exciting, thus it pushed me even more to pursue a Master degree in Communications.

The decision to study at the *** University came to me after I have read a description of this program and courses included in it. I found the courses offered are very relevant for my professional goals. Further the opportunities for visiting guest lectures and practical workshops would broaden my perspectives about modern media and marketing.

During my studying at *** I will focus on such topics as Marketing and Brand Communications, Strategic Corporate Communications, Brand, Digitals and Creatives, Brands International Management. I have a strong interest in these fields and, moreover, my researches done during my studies are closely linked with it as well as my working experience. While preparing a dissertation I want to combine all my knowledge received from my multidisciplinary studying. In my future dissertation I want to make a comparative analysis of modern Russian and French politics who are seen as brands of these countries: for instance, Putin and Sarkozy. They both are very bright and well-known persons in the whole world. What makes them so famous and compel attention to their activities? What marketing tools do they use during their work? I hope that living in Paris, the heart of Europe, will provide all the resources needed and assist me in making such a research.

After having studied in France I am planning to work in an international marketing or media company alongside doing a PhD course and making the network for young specialists as I told above.

Considering all the facts above I can assure you that as a student at the *** University I will exceed your expectations and bring a high level of academic intellect, energy and creativity.

Sincerely,
temptprovidence 8 / 163 35  
I became assured that this program best suites my academic and career goals.

was convinced.

When speaking about my education I can't help but to mention my experience in studying abroad.

mentioning.. this word is enough in its place.

that was a good approach and it is a good expression of your interests and goals. you can just go for a rereading and you yourself can help out even better. BEST OF LUCK :)
Being an Ambassador of my university and a tutor for first-year students helped me a lot for developing my presentation and interpersonal communication skills.

Being an Ambassador of my university and a tutor for first-year students, I developed my presentation and interpersonal communication skills.

I think this will help every student learn some more about other country's culture, ways of living and traditions.

I believe this would give every student an opportunity to learn more about other cultures, traditions and ways of living.
[

I was very delighted to find that the courses offered as well as the opportunity to visit guest lectures and practical workshops give a really wide knowledge in modern media and marketing.

I found the courses offered are very relevant for my professional goals. Further the opportunities for visiting guest lectures and practical workshops would broaden my perspectives about modern media and marketing.
OP Olesya 5 / 12 1  
Dumi, thank you! What is your general impression about it? May be I should add something?
Well... I dont say it is bad but I think you should have focused more on;

this section gives you the chance to personally introduce yourself and to draw attention to things which have not necessarily appeared elsewhere in the application

I have a feeling that many things you have said here, for example your experience and qualifications, would have been told in the other sections of the application. Haven't they? So, my personal feeling is that you should tell them more about you as a person. Of course you can include your credentials and achievements, but even through them you need to display your character more strongly.

Home / Graduate / I will exceed your expectations; Master in communications, personal statement