Facilitate education to foster aspirations and goals. Environmental Science and Management SOP

aakash100 1 / 2  
SOP for Masters in Environmental Science and Management

The detrimental effects of anthropogenic climate change concomitant with the overriding intricacy of environmental deterioration have been a major comprehensive concern in the modern society. Discernment of abstruse details about the impacts of climate change at global, regional and local scales and its unprecedented ramification has brought forth an exigent requirement of professionals who can take on the responsibility of abating these changes and facilitate the global community in attaining sustainable development. Persuaded with the stimulus of devising feasible solutions to real world problems complemented with the necessary know-how of the field, I believe the XXX would be a perfect augmentation to my UG course.

Since childhood, I have possessed an unquenchable thirst and a spark for knowledge and had been keen to explore my horizons. I had an innate proclivity towards nature and environment complemented by winning second prize in school science exhibition where I developed a self- sustained village model based on Renewable energy resources, the time I recognized my passion for the environment. My growing interest towards environment became resolute and untenable when my science teacher in Xth standard showed the documentary on Bhopal gas tragedy to explain the woes and affliction of the Methyl Isocyanide sufferers which marked an impression and substantially bolstered my belief to pursue a career in Environment. Hence, upon entering the high school, this desire was the very impetus to profoundly endorse my decision to study Mathematics, physics and chemistry as a major focus for my high school.

The ardor of extending the frontiers of knowledge in the environment has landed me to one of the premier institutes of the country after successfully clearing Indian Institute of technology joint entrance examination, one of the toughest engineering entrance exam in India, standing among 2% of the candidate. Through IIT-JEE, I joined Indian School of Mines DHANBAD, the most prestigious institute in India for earth science. The excellent curriculum at ISM has exposed me to a wide gamut of over 40 courses in Environmental Science through brain-storming theory sessions supplemented with laboratory works and field visits. Having appreciated management subjects, including modelling and optimization studies; regulatory subjects of environmental policy and legislation; managerial economics; core engineering and engineering science related subjects including air pollution engineering, wastewater engineering, microbiology, GIS among others, I believe that I have the requisite knowledge to understand the complexity of environmental systems and engage in creating first-hand solutions to the environmental issues plaguing them.

I would like to introduce myself as a person who is enthusiastic and diligent to achieve the objectives using practical grounds to broaden my understandings. Henceforth after my second year, I worked as an industrial intern in Jindal Power Limited Tamnar, Raigarh on Environmental Management and Comprehensive Assessment for the duration of one month where I have accessed the environmental performance of the plant. This intern gave me an exposure to understand the practical aspects of environmental management.

Further in the winters of 2013, after taking courses in calculus and statistics, I joined XXX where I have worked on the project of Proximate analysis of coal to access spontaneous heating susceptibility of coal seams. The project was concluded by establishing a correlation between intrinsic properties coal samples of various seams and susceptibility indices like CPT and differential thermal analysis.

In my junior year, I was fascinated with the growing concerns of fly ash handling by thermal power plants and hence I consulted with XXX to initiate a project Application of Fly ash in mining sector working towards transforming fly ash from "Waste Category" to "Resource Category" This project was aimed at physical and chemical characterization, studying the flow properties of fly ash and bottom ash samples collected from Jamadoba Power Plant, visualizing the mineral (phase) composition by XRD method, SEM analysis and heavy metal detection using leaching tests. I have concluded that the fly ash has permissible heavy metal concentration and based on the analysis, the ash can have a wide range of utilities. Further, I have presented a review paper on Fly Ash-waste management and overview, in Raipur Institute of Technology which was recently published in an international journal.

In summers of 2014, I had undergone a vocational training in Ecorestoration of BCCL coal mines where I understood various methods to restore the derelict landscape. Further, I decided to join an Independent research program in XXX where I have worked with XXX on the project "Carbon Sequestration of green roofs" and also assisted in the field work of "Soil carbon storage in wetlands of Hong Kong". I have worked to collect aboveground and belowground biomass and collected soil samples. The samples were further analyzed for bulk density, carbon concentration, TKN, available phosphorus and available nitrogen and the findings have been published in an international journal.

In winters of 2014, I joined XXX to work on the project Carbon stocks in snow tussocks grasslands. During this intern, I worked with biomass and soil samples of pine forests to determine %C, %N, pH and BD to establish a relationship between pH and BD. I have also worked in geothermal areas to observe the surface temperature, moisture and CO2 flux which was later presented in Use of Isotopic Analysis to distinguish between biological and geothermal soil CO2 flux at Tauhara and Te Mihi Geothermal areas in New Zealand geothermal workshop.

After successfully completing my B.Tech. I have got an On-campus placement offer in XXX, leading green root based petrochemical company where I am currently working as a Graduate Engineer Trainee in Health Safety and Environment Department. At first, I got acquainted with the operations and present environmental management practices of various divisions of the industry. I am currently working on "Biomass-based Cogeneration Project activity taken up by India Glycols Limited at Gorakhpur, U.P." project as an additional CDM project activity towards carbon foot printing to achieve sustainable development where I am. I am also working to design a Zero Liquid Discharge Mechanism where I am monitoring effluents and discharges from various streams and designing a layout to devise an economical way to minimize water effluent generation.

Apart from the academics, I also participated in various extra-curricular and co-curricular activities where I was core team member of our annual alumni fest BASANT 2014, ism Dhanbad where I developed my managerial and leadership skills. Moreover, I was also in the sponsorship team of our annual cultural festival SRIJAN 2014 where I was working in a team to acquire funds for the festival. I have been a national level Baseball player as a catcher in the junior team. I have actively participated in a team to clean road from my campus to the bus station at Dhanbad under the banner of 'Let's do it, Dhanbad!'

I see the university as an opportunity to utilize better facilities and expertise, and I understand that I must contribute all I can and rise to all the challenges put to me. My conscious decision towards pursuing XXX, one of the most prestigious institute in the field of Environmental Management, arises from the researches I was involved during my undergraduates. I really look forward to plumb into the various environmental factors contributing towards the sustainable development I anticipate that this rigorous MESM program would entail my knowledge to address the imposing challenges posed by climate change for human institutions and ecosystems and the potentially transformative role of sustainable energy systems. I wish to extend my specialization in Energy and Climate & Economics and Policy of the Environment in order to plumb into the abstruse impacts of Energy, Environment and Economics on climate change in order to further work towards the climate and energy planning. I have decided to go for graduate studies to delve into the management and economics of the environment that would eventually hone my skills, In retrospect, I can confidentially state that it was a fortuitous decision as I believe the field of environmental management to be most effective and gratifying means to leverage my engineering background.

Through this masters I wanted to serve the community by devising strategies for reducing energy consumption, minimizing carbon emissions and achieving sustainable development. This management program is the perfect tool to excel my growth that will lead me to maintain ecosystem integrity through considering ethical, economic, social and technological variables and to further strengthen the significant concepts.

I further request the university to consider my application for financial assistantship since that would facilitate my education to foster my aspirations and goals.
rockprincess 7 / 12  
I tried to change few words into better ones.

... its unprecedented ramification has brought forth a strict requirement of professionals ...
... I believe the XXX would be a simple augmentation to my UG course.

... the Methyl Isocyanide sufferers that marked an impression and substantially ...

Having appreciated management subjects, including ...
This sentence is very long. try to break it into multiple sentences.
rockprincess 7 / 12  
This intern gave me iexposure to understand the practical ...

In my junior year, I was fascinated with the growing ... .
This sentence is very long. Cinsider break it into multiple sentences.

I have concluded that the fly ash has had permissible heavy metal concentration and based on the analysis, ; the ash ...

In summers of 2014, I had undergone a vocational training in Ecorestoration of BCCL ...
... the field work of "Soil carbon storage in wetlands of Hong Kong". ."

.., moisture and CO2 fluxthat was later presented in Use of Isotopic Analysis...
rockprincess 7 / 12  
... leading green FRESH root based petrochemical company ...
At first, I got acquainted with the operations and present MODERN OR CONTEMPORARY environmental management practices ...
... CDM project activity towards carbon foot- printing to achieve sustainable development where I am.
... a layout to devise an economical way to minimize effluent water generation.

Moreover, I was also in the sponsorship team SIDE of our annual cultural festival ...
I have been a national level Baseball player as a catcher in FOR the junior team.

... one of the most prestigious instituteS in the field of Environmental Management, arises from the researchers I was involved during my undergraduates. I really look forward to plumb ...

... MESM program would entail my knowledge to address the imposing EXCITING challenges posed by ...
... Climate & Economics and Policy of the Environment in order to TO plumb into the abstruse PROFOUND impacts of Energy, Environment and Economics on climate change in order to TO further work towards the climate and energy planning.

... as I believe the field of environmental management to be most effective USEFUL and gratifying ...

... technological variables and to strengthen further strengthen the significant important concepts.
OP aakash100 1 / 2  
Thanks @rockprincess for your valuable comments.
OP aakash100 1 / 2  
Please review my Statement of purpose to give ur valuable feedback

Home / Graduate / Facilitate education to foster aspirations and goals. Environmental Science and Management SOP