Facts for choosing computer science; SOP- Curiosity

arpitchaukiyal 1 / -  
When we are curious we find lots of interesting thing to do"- Walt Disney.
Since my childhood I am always curious about how and why the things happen around my-self. I was always wondering about what will happen if I do this thing in that way. I was grade 1st when first introduced to computers at my junior school and I learned LOGO. I was always fascinated and curious about- How pressing a button in the keyboard displays the same character on the monitor? How the commands given by us are interpreted correctly by the CPU? This triggered my strong interest in computers, so I opted computer science as one of my major subjects in grade 11th and learned programming language C++ & concepts of OOP, basic concepts of computer networking and SQL. In my senior school I had developed project of "library management system" in C++ which was appreciated by my course teacher as well as my examiner in the final project viva.

After my schooling several events influenced me to pursue computer science program as an undergraduate student. One of such event is the boom of electronic media in my country. There was a rapid digitalization in almost every field of my knowledge. Everyone was talking about e-reservation, e-banking, e-governess, e-commerce etc. This helped me realize for identifying my opportunities for using Information Technology. I cracked the entrance exam for Uttar Pradesh Technical University (U.P.T.U), one of the oldest and prestigious universities of India. I took admission in Hindustan Institute of Technology (now Sharda University) affiliated to U.P.T.U, a college of Sharda Group of Institutions (largest institutional group in north India). Soon, I discovered my special interest for subjects like Software Engineering, Database Management Systems, Data Structures, Algorithm Analysis & Design, Advanced Computer Networks and Operating Systems.

In first year, to augment my skills, I joined a certification course in Java Programming Language using JAVA SE6 from NIIT, India's rank 1st training company and one of the top five training companies in the world. Later, I joined an industrial training from CMC Limited, a subsidiary of Tata Consultancy Services Limited (TCS Ltd), one of the world's leading information technologies organizations. During this training I worked on the live project: E-Banking. The project demanded some advance concepts of JAVA like JDBC connectivity, MVC-II & struts framework and Oracle as the backend database. Besides the technical knowledge, being in the part of the development team I learned how a live project is developed, what is the responsibility of individual member in the team and how actions of individual member may affect the whole team.

In third year of my undergraduate course I was one of only two students selected for the paid industrial internship at Dinsys Technologies out of whole IT batch. During this period I got exposure to corporative environment and learned how commercial software is developed in a software firm. The product was online meeting software: DinsysConnect. It was developed in .Net 4.0 framework and besides voice and video conferencing it allows user to share files over FTP, remote desktop access, give power-point presentation and save the conversation history and logs. As a fresher internee my job is assist in enhancing and improving the features of developing project. Besides testing of the individual module for bugs and errors, I had given the responsibility of converting the English texts in user interface to Arabic, Japanese and French language using the translator tool.

My final project is "Peer recognition using SIP", an implementation of signaling protocol using Session Initiation Protocol (S.I.P). It is a 3.5G signaling protocol used by soft-phones in order to find its peer and used for communication over IP telephony like bulk messages, VoIP and video communication. Since SIP is relatively a new protocol suit and it's only a decade old in its commercial implementation, my curiosity motivated me to take this as my final and major project. I used Java Swings for the application's user interface because of its platform independency and light weightiness to the CPU. For the implementation of the SIP STACK I choose JAIN SIP API (a low-level API, because of its scalability and flexiblity), an open source API of Java community. My work is appreciated by my supervisors and examiner because of its uniqueness and first attempt of its own kind. As the result of my sincere and consistent work I had successfully scored approx. 92% in my major project assessment.

Apart from the academic engagements, I was involved in various extracurricular activities. I was selected for first year basket ball team. I was coordinator and student representative of Information Technology branch at Training & Placement office of my institute. As a T&P coordinator I interacted with representatives of different software firms like Syntel, Steria,Tek Travels etc for recruitment from our college. This experience helps me in discerning academic-industry interaction in very closer sense.

During my college life, I also became interested in gaining in-depth technical understanding of how Computer Science can provide a wide range of socio-economic benefits to the global population. The general fields of my interest are e-Governance (especially, IT in health care), Mobile Banking, ICT enabled education, Intelligent Transportation Systems, Internet Scale Data Management, Business Process Analysis and Re-Engineering, etc. To be able to pursue such interests I plan to study them deeper in post-graduation. In the long run, I plan to conduct research for developing IT based solutions for the benefit of society. I want to be a part of R&D facility, as I am very curious about exploring new alternatives to real world problems or even provide a new solution. I t would be the natural step for me after completing my Masters to pursue Ph.D., to excel myself as competent researcher. Teaching and researching at large universities would be an option because of their world class research labs and enthusiastic environment.

University of XXX is one of the most reputed universities globally. Its research facilities are of International standards and one of the top research-intensive Computing Science departments in XXX. Besides, there is great emphasis on solving real world problems, and on regular academic-industry interaction. The program Masters in Computer Science is suited to my profile. I find the Software Technology Track most interesting because it provides comprehensive knowledge, and an in-depth experience of the issues involved in all the stages of software engineering for development of complex software systems. This track would enable me to fulfill the dream of becoming a software expert and a professional computer scientist. Research areas that grab my interest are 'Software Engineering', 'Database systems' and 'Algorithmics'. I find the following projects very interesting:

1.
2.
3.
All these factors, coupled with a very distinguished faculty for example, professor XXX and Dr.XXX involved in projects like "XXX" and my firm foundation in fundamentals of Computer Science, make me confident of advancing my career in academics through this course.

Lastly, I am confident that studying inXXX will make me a well-rounded individual by improving my global perspective. Besides, it will not only enable my cultural enrichment, but will also provide me access to the rich heritage of XXX
veronica100 1 / 6  
This is a great essay! Go for it and good luck!

Home / Graduate / Facts for choosing computer science; SOP- Curiosity