The field of Power and Energy Systems, my SOP

Ghostship 1 / 1  
Hi, please take a look at my SOP and advice me for further improvement.

Statement of Purpose
Exploring the state-of-the-art research done in my field of interest, through outstanding faculty members in Electrical & Computer Engineering program at Clarkson University, I am greatly inspired for applying in this department to accomplish my aspiration to become a researcher and a professional in the field of Power and Energy Systems.

The four year undergraduate study has taught me that Engineering is as much as an art as it is a science. Creative instinct, excel fellowman ship and perceptiveness are the very gist of engineering. Engineering study not only imparts knowledge but also lays emphasis on the overall development of the individual. Besides broadening the range of my knowledge, it has given me valuable insight into practical aspects of study. I have acquainted myself with courses like 'Energy Conversion and Special Machines', 'Power stations', 'Power system reliability and operation', 'High Voltage Engineering', and 'Switchgear and Protection' in senior level. These laid the foundation for my courses in Electrical Power and Energy Systems at a later stage. I have also taken various subjects in my fled like 'Electronic Circuits', 'Electrical Machines', 'Digital Signal Processing', 'Industrial Electronics' etc. In my third year, I took up two projects: one is "AM Radio Design" and another is "Remote Control Design". Both the projects involved implementing the design in the practical field using electronics and infrared light respectively.

In my final year, I took up a project to design a 4-bit Microprocessor and to implement it practically. The design and implementation of a 4 - bit computer poses a really challenging, yet wonderful design and implementation concern to the novice hardware designers. It required a good understanding of various design techniques and a complete realization of the computer architecture. It also provided a fragrance of a large scale design challenge of designing a whole computer in a small scale version imposed by the 4-bit data size and a restricted instruction set. But the most obvious work in the final year of my undergraduate (UG) study was my "Project and Thesis" in which I worked on "Transient Stability analysis of HVDC (High voltage Direct Current) System". In this project, I had an opportunity to work with a new analysis tool named "DIgSILENT PowerFactory". This is an integrated power system analysis tool that combines reliable and flexible system modeling capabilities, Load Flow and Fault Analysis of complete AC/DC network representation. I worked with "Load Flow Analysis" and "Reliability Analysis" of HVDC system.

During my undergraduate study I have visited several major power stations in my country for gathering practical knowledge and experience about the generation and distribution of electricity throughout the country. I have also visited "ENERGYPAC", country's leading power engineering company, several times, for gaining field experiences. I have participated in seminars related to power and energy system conducted by my department and also by various educational institutions. These seminars provided me a platform to interact with intellectuals and eminent persons of my field who not only provided me with a valuable insight into the technical progress made by the electrical industry but also motivated me to pursue a career in electrical arena. I am confident that the knowledge I gained at my undergraduate level serves as a base for my career advancement in this field.

After completion of my undergraduate (UG) study, I started my career in a telecommunication company due to unavailability of job in power sector and also for my financial crisis. At the same time, I admitted myself in MBA program at University of Dhaka, intending to build up my career in managerial level of corporate sector. But as a common practice in the organization of third world country, I have found my responsibilities in profession just to implement the output of other programs. This type of work bored me as well as frustrated me of being not innovative and also lured me to do something new in my field. But this was not possible due to lack of research and development opportunities in my country. So, I have decided to go for higher study and do some research that will fulfill my purpose to become innovative as well as to help my country. I found my country lagging behind of power and energy sectors and struggling to maintain a steady power supply all the year around. And as my undergraduate (UG) major was power systems, I found myself in a suitable position to do further research in this filed. Although I am diverting my higher education from my current professional career, working on these professional settings has given me immense practical knowledge and helped me to visualize and maintain work in an effective way with the least possible time and expenditure.

As I am following the pioneering research on Electric Power and Energy Systems done at Clarkson University for the past one year, I always feel excited to be a part of consequent accomplishments from this institution. I am particularly interested in the research on power systems through the Center for Sustainable Energy Systems (CSES) of Prof. Ortmeyer. My interest is to design a low cost power grid solution aligned with the renewable energy, especially integrating solar and wind energy. I am also interested in the research of alternative energy applications of Prof. Pillay. Prof. McGrath's research on Smartgrid technologies are also aligned with my interest.

I feel that everyone must spend a large portion of his life to his career and I believe that without "love" for his work, he cannot survive. Therefore, I am determined of pursuing a research oriented career after my graduation. By being a researcher of power and energy engineering in a research university, I believe, I can contribute to the progression of the society not only through technological innovations and enlightening new avenues of thought but also by utilizing my expertise into policy issues to address some of the most captivating problems of our society. I believe that a graduate study at Clarkson University will provide milestone in my career along with invaluable experiences and skills that will allow me to become a successful, innovative professional and gives assistance to accomplish my goals.
Exploring the state-of-the-art research done in my field of interest through by outstanding faculty members in Electrical & Computer Engineering program at Clarkson University, I am greatly inspired for about applying in this department to accomplish my aspiration ... If you refer to their research, you should say something about it to show that you really have been reading their research articles. What is the most recent article written by the prof whose work is most closely aligned with your interests? Show that you are already reading to catch up with the research being done.

to become a researcher ---You already are a researcher. I think you can have a goal that is more meaningful than to just "become" a particular kind of professional. Your goal should be to contribute to the field in a particular way.

hyphen: four-year

...and 'Switchgear and Protection' at senior level.

Okay, I apologize; as I continue to read, I see that you demonstrate that you have indeed been doing great work to catch up to the professionals in your the field of elect. power and energy systems. However, I still think you should cite some articles written by the professors teaching the courses you are so looking forward to.

Therefore, I am determined to pursue a research-oriented ...

...to become a successful, innovative professional and gives give assistance to accomplish my goals. The last line of the essay does not make sense very well. You should revise it and be very clear.

Even though I asked you to cite more research, as I continued to read I found that you actually did quite a good job. This is a strong essay! Good luck in your work!!! :-)
OP Ghostship 1 / 1  
Thank you for your support. I will try to modify this version according to your comments.

Home / Graduate / The field of Power and Energy Systems, my SOP