To finish my career goal, I choose Marshall Business School as a start in the profession - USC essay

zhangdm132 1 / 2  
ESSAY QUESTION:
1. What is your motivation to study for a MAcc/MBT degree at USC? Describe how you believe a MAcc/MBT degree fits with your future career objectives. (Do not exceed two double-spaced pages). 

PERSONAL STATEMENT
I have a habit since I was young. I record every sum of money I have spent and I have earned and classify them to different categories since I was young. Recording has been a feasible way for me to manage money and to promote quality of life. I noticed this habit was related to accounting as I know more about business knowledge and realize the importance of accounting to one's daily life. The further internships provide me more experiences regarding functions of accounting in social life. As an assistant in finance accounting department in an insurance company, I assisted senior managers and cooperated with finance team on monthly forecasting efforts to promote operation. I learned how to distribute resources of a company to promote operation of a company effectively. From an insider's perspective, I realized that the accounting information can inform decision makers to implement effective strategies. Moreover, in this summer, another internship as account manager assistant in China Development Bank switched my perspective of accounting as insider to external person. The operating activity of our department is to lend load to small and micro business based on lending criterion. As an account manager assistant, I was required to evaluate the performance of the company and risk of lending based on the financial statement of the company. This internship influenced me deeply, and I realize the inportantce of accounting to external staffs.

Not only my experiences promote my interest of accounting, but also my academic background satisfied the prerequisite requirement of learning accounting. My major was finance in China and now I major in economics and minor in management. I learned about systematical and scientific methods in accounting field from undergraduate study and I obtained basic perspective and fundamental knowledge about accounting, making it possible for me to combine my experience with academic knowledge.

Both experiences about accounting and my academic background stimulate my decision to pursue an occupation about accounting. There are three steps to finish my career goals. First, I need to gain insight into knowledge of accounting and its functions in our society. So finishing master of accounting becomes my first step. Second, I am intended to become a qualified accountant, so becoming CPA is second step to accomplish my career goal. Third, I plan to work in a prestigious public accounting firm and combine my professional knowledge with practice experiences, becoming expert in accounting.

To finish my career goal, I choose Marshall Business School as a start in the profession. There are three reasons. First, curriculums of this program are focus both on professional skills and communication skills. The former one provides me basic supports to accomplish my second step- become a CPA. The latter one decides how far I can go in my occupation, since communication skills are crucial when I work with clients. Professional skills and communication skills are two vital factors to pursue my ultimate goals and the program provide me a chance to obtain them in a professional way. Second, the backgrounds of students in Macc program are of large variety. Learning from the University's website, I found that more than half qualified student have majors differing from accounting, and about one in five qualified students are international student. As an international student who majors in economics, Marshall Business School is a plausible choice for me. Third, University of Southern California has advantageous geographical location. Los Angeles is one of the world's most dynamic and successful business centers. As a international trendsetter and cultural crossroads, it is a perfect city for business college student to gain work experience and to broad scope of business knowledge.
andrisaputra3 1 / 2  
I record every sum of money that I have spent and I have earned and classify clarified them to different categories since I was young.
ch017 - / 3  
I have had a habit since I was young? and since i was young in the second sentence is repetitive.
RaaH 1 / 4 1  
I hope you find my input on the last paragraph useful.

I believe the MAcct in Marshall Business School is the next logical step in furthering my career goals for 3 reasons. The curriculum not only focuses on professional skills but on communication skills. The knowledge acquired would help me achieve my professional goals of earning the CPA while the communication skills would be crucial in my relations with clients. Secondly the diversity of the MAcc class at MBS would not only provide me with an intellectual stimulating environment but also the cultural sensitivity required to excel in a client-facing role. Of particular interest to me is the percentage of international students, I look forward to contrasting the principles behind the PRC GAAP to US GAAP, the IFRS and other countries GAAP. Finally, I hope to take advantage of the strategic location of the University of Southern California. Los Angeles is one of the world's leading business cities. As a international trendsetter and cultural crossroads, it is a perfect city for me to gain work experience and broaden my business knowledge.
Zhang,as most of the remarks and insights are focused on the last part of your essay,
I'd like to share my thoughts on the first paragraph of your essay.

First paragraph
- I have a habit since I was young. Ihad since formed a habit of
- recording every sum of money
- I have spent and I have earned,
- andthen classify them to different categories since I was young( this phrase is not necessary as we have established the time of the event already ) .

- I know more about business knowledge and realize the importance
- of accounting to one'sour daily life.
- TheF urther internships provide
- me more experiences regardingexposure on the functions of accounting in social life.
- As an assistant in the finance accounting department in an insurance company,
- I assisted senior managers and cooperatedworked hand in hand with finance team
- Moreover, in this summer, another internship as an account manager assistant intern in China Development Bank
- this switched my perspective of accounting as an insider to external person.
- This internshipexperience deeply influenced me deeply , and
- Imade me realize the im portantce of accounting to external staffs .

There you have it Zhang, I'd like to add that I may not be that good with the financial terminologies but with how you wrote your essay,

it made me realize that the finance world is not so difficult after all.

I hope my insights helped.
OP zhangdm132 1 / 2  
Thank you a lot! This is pretty useful!

Home / Graduate / To finish my career goal, I choose Marshall Business School as a start in the profession - USC essay