My flair for Electrical & Computer engineering; Masters in Computer/Systems Eng- SOP

ahmedogunfayo 1 / -  
MOTIVATION

As industrialization takes the center stage in today's developed and emerging economies, the role of computer engineering cannot be overemphasized. Computer engineering as an area of specialization under electrical engineering has been an area that keeps developing at a fast pace to satisfy the use of the people around the globe. All industries around the world have this field integrated into its operation for secured real-time data transfer for analysis, communication through email, instant messenger and voice.

My flair for Electrical and Computer engineering started as a young kid who is always curious to know what is inside an electronic gadget that makes it do its work, I was mentored by my father who worked as a Mechanical Engineer with Elf Petroleum Nigeria Limited and my mother who lectures in the Civil Engineering Department of my Alma Mata (The Federal Polytechnic, Ilaro). During my course of study in high school, I enjoyed studying mathematics, further mathematics and physics. After my high school, I decided to take up a two-year National Diploma in Computer Engineering at the Federal Polytechnic Ilaro Ogun State, Nigeria, which gave me the initial skills and abilities to flourish in this exciting, dynamic and yet demanding career path.

The quests to be successful in this field made me take up an undergraduate admission in Federal University of Technology, Minna Niger State Nigeria. During the course of my studies as an undergraduate student, I received a well-rounded education in general engineering subjects and acquired a strong background in the fundamentals of basic electrical and computer engineering. I demonstrated a very sound and excellent theoretical competency in core courses like analogue and digital electronics, electromagnetic field and waves, telecommunication engineering and data networks. I also had a firsthand experience in construction and thesis writing during my final year project which was titled "Design and construction of expandable clap activated switch that is highly sensitive in differentiating a clap sound signal to any other audio signal". I graduated with second class upper honors with point average of 4.01 on a 5.00 point scale.

My working experience started with 8 months compulsory industrial training after my National Diploma with Odu'atel Nigeria Limited. I was attached to the technical department of the company and with my versatility I was able to work with two sub-departments which are Switch and the Internet Service Provider. I later went for another industrial training during my fourth year as an undergraduate with Qunet Nigeria Limited, a contracting firm with West African Portland Cement (WAPCO) which gave me the opportunity to have hands-on experience in installation of telecommunication closets, routers, switches, patch panels and termination of Unshielded Twisted Pair (UTP) and Fibre Optics cables. I work currently as a Technical Support Specialist at Cradle Solution Incorporation in Houston Texas, a software company that provides web-based point-of-contact information entry and management for home health professionals.

I am encouraged to apply for the University of Houston's masters degree program in Computer and Systems Engineering after reviewing the curriculum and was able to comprehend what the program has to offer. As far as long-term plan, I wish to earn a PhD in this field and become a successful network engineer. This will enable me fulfill my aspiration of being part of the future in the field and proffering solution to problems. I am confident that I will be able to meet the rigor in which this program can pose and also be open-minded member willing to contribute notably in this field. Thank you for the time and consideration.
Well ... these are all known facts and I think they would not be really interested in reading them. The SOP can be the most important document in the application for the admission guys. Other parts of your graduate-school application like test scores, transcripts, letters of recommendation, writing samples , don't say as much about you as a person as the statement of purpose can: your proudest accomplishments alongside your fondest hopes and dream. So, I feel you should not waste words for these obvious stuff. Talk about you as much as possible.

Home / Graduate / My flair for Electrical & Computer engineering; Masters in Computer/Systems Eng- SOP