A good accountant; 'high sense of honor and responsibility' - William & Mary MAcc Admissions Essay

Maccdog 2 / 6 3  
This is my first draft of the first question on the admission essay. I wanted to include more, but I have already gone slightly over the word count. I appreciate all thoughts and comments, thank you!

What qualities do you have that will make you a good accountant?

My grandfather would often tell me to focus on character and everything else would work itself out. "Strive to be a man who lives his life with a high sense of honor and a deep sense of personal responsibility." When I was young, I was never exactly sure what he meant, but I always tried to live up to his expectations and be the best person possible. Because of my grandfather, honesty and accountability are traits that I value and have focused on throughout my life. Besides the technical accounting knowledge, I believe that honesty and accountability are the most important traits that accountants must possess. Accounting firms survive on their reputation and credibility, and I look forward to representing my future employer while holding the firms reputation at the highest and most respected level.

While I am certainly proud of my ability to solve problems and think critically, I have become more impressed with my ability to formulate questions by being curious. With so much uncertainty and ambiguity in the accounting profession, I believe it is crucial to be curious and ask questions. By having a sense of curiosity, questions will arise which will produce more facts and data. Once you have access to more facts, I believe your critical thinking and problem solving skills will be put to work in order to come to a conclusion.

In accounting, as with any profession, the ability to produce a solution or an idea can be of little value if you are unable to effectively communicate your work. I feel as though my communication skills have grown tremendously during the time I have spent at (current employer). I have had an extremely high level of exposure working with the most senior executives of the bank. On a daily basis I am working with the Chief Financial Officer and must effectively explain my analysis of new bond issues and certain projects I have completed. Also, I must often brief the Chief Executive Officer, Chief Credit Officer, and Chief Financial Officer on the status of the quarterly budget. I believe that my communication skills will be of great value when interacting with clients. In order leave a client satisfied, I plan to communicate complicated accounting topics in a clear and concise manner, which can be easily understood.
Chris, you have left me speechless with our essay. You have accurately presented an image of who and what an ideal accountant should be. The typical description went quite well with the essay that depicted your personal insight into the occupation (nice touch using your grandfather to discuss that point), and how your current work has prepared you to go deeper into the world of Accounting.

If I may offer a piece of advice to further improve your essay, you could discuss the future of accountancy as you see it. What role do you see the future accountants undertaking? How will your role as an accountant evolve as the finance world adjusts to ever changing global economies that affect the local market? In other words, what present, undervalued, or underestimated qualities do you possess at the moment which you know will help you become an even better accountant in the future? I think that if you show a sense of forward thinking and a desire to evolve and improve the quality of the profession in the future, your essay will be more than adequate enough in response to the prompt.
OP Maccdog 2 / 6 3  
Thank you so much for your response. I will certainly incorporate your advice into the essay!

Home / Graduate / A good accountant; 'high sense of honor and responsibility' - William & Mary MAcc Admissions Essay