Government should place few, restrictions on scientific research and development

greaw666 1 / 1  
Please help me improve my essay on GRE issue. Thanks a lot!

"Government should place few, if any, restrictions on scientific research and development"

It is an intellectual policy to offer scientific research and development relative freedom. Since science acts an important role in the evolution of the society, it is safe to say that science is of countless meaning to the nation for the consideration of both improving people's life and elevating the country's ability in competition over the world. However, as I mentioned above, the freedom is relative but not absolute. It is too hasty to ignore the negative effect science research may cause. Typical is the damage to the environment as well as the probability of the misleading in ethical issues such as cloning. Taking these into consideration, it is appropriate to say that science research should be supervised with some basic rules while given enough freedom.

Ever since the evolution of the industry, it has been increasingly acknowledged that science has incredible power to the development of the society. Adison invented light bulb so that people could read and write when there was no nature illumination while Watt invented steam engine that triggered the birth of steam train which enabled people to travel farther and visit places that used to be beyond their reach. In nineteenth century, computer was first introduced to people's life after which the world experienced an incredulous change and people entered into the era of information and communication. The stimulation of science to the society is so overwhelming that people can hardly neglect the extreme contribution made by it while they are enjoying the convenience provided by it. Science definitely deserves more support.

Thus, a straight way to broaden the contribution that science make is to give scientific research more freedom and spare no effort to promote its development. For instance, scientific research is in need of special instruments. Therefore, money supply to science institutes is necessary in government's budget. Further more, since scientific research can hardly function well without persons who specialize in related subjects, it is very important for the government to pay more attention to high level education. In addition, it is safe to say that scientific development counts on communication and cooperation very much. Thus, in order to enhance exchange between different science academy, it is of great meaningfulness for the government to establish some positive rules and erase some restricting items from the law.

However, although to a great extent science accelerates the development of society, it is still important to cite the fact that there are some special situations relating to science research to which the government cannot give much freedom. Because of the agnostic quality of scientific research, the governors have the resposibility to circumscribe the activity in a safe scope. A typical example is that the process of a scientific experiment could probably induce damage to the nature, such as some poisonous chemical experiments which might directly influence people's living condition. Also there may be some nuclear-related experiments that might lead to radiation pollution under the influence of which people would endure a danger of having cancer. Moreover, wrong use of science may give rise to some serious results. For instance, as it is reported occasionally, there are some scientists who devote their energy to the research of human cloning, which may cause ethical and moral problems. How do we treat the cloned person? Should they have the same rights as normal population? Facing these questions, we are confused. Therefore, it is not exaggerating to say that cloning may give the society some potentially dangerous factors. All the potential danger discussed above alarm the government that it is essential to control scientific research in a relative safe array. Besides, there might be some kinds of scientific research that will have negative influence in the future but has no harmful damage today, which will not be discovered for a probably long period of time until it occurs. Taking these factors into consideration, it is better for the governors to develop some provident rules for scientific research.

To sum up, my opinion is that while we encourage the flourish of scientific development, our government should be alert on some potential negative influences caused by it. I believe with careful and objective consideration on science, we human will welcome a new century of fast and healthy development of society.
juliachen 1 / 2  
The dividing of paragraph should be noticed as it is a little difficult to read this issue. The explaination of your idea is still a little bit unclear comparing your illustration of the topic.

Maybe more examples should be provided.
P.S Are you a chinese student?
OP greaw666 1 / 1  
yes, so you can see it from my chinglish? hoho
That first sentence is confusing. How about this:
It is an intellectual policy to offer a reasonable amount of freedom to scientific research and development efforts.----- because the word "relative" makes me say, "relative to what?"

is of significant meaning to the nation for the consideration of both improving people's lives an d elevating the country's ability in competition over the world.

Adison Edison

In nineteenth century, the computer was first

Thus, a straightforward, direct way to broaden the contribution that science makes is to give scientific research more freedom and spare no effort to promote its development. ----- good sentence!! I just made a small change.

To sum up, my opinion is that while we encourage the flourishing of scientific development, our government should be alert about some potential negative influences caused by it. I believe with careful and objective consideration of science, we humans will welcome a new century of fast and healthy development of society.

:-) impressive, deep thinking! Your English is very good. Even though you have some small errors, your way of writing shows complex thinking and intelligence.

Home / Graduate / Government should place few, restrictions on scientific research and development