MA Graphic Design SOP - "to be creative and express myself"

owlgal 1 / 1  
I love graphic design. I enjoy the challenge of taking an abstract idea or concept and giving it a visual identity or transforming it into a communicable message. I'm fascinated by the impact that color, page layouts, paper stock and fonts have on a piece.

As a technical communication major at Mercer University, I enjoyed the communication elements more than the technical aspects in the engineering environment. I liked being able to see what I was working on and enjoyed the process to mold it into a final product to connect to a specific audience for a specific reason. I enjoyed taking an abstract idea or feeling in my head and making it into something visual that people could relate to or identify with.

I didn't think I was creative enough in college. I never painted or drew so I didn't consider myself artistic and I didn't think I could be a graphic designer without one of these natural talents. I was too guarded and scared of critiques or comments. I was afraid that I wasn't any good, even if I thought I was. So, I pushed graphic design to the back of my head and did technical writing as my first job out of college.

It was a safe job, in that I didn't have to let myself be vulnerable in writing. But, I soon found that I enjoyed designing the documents more than writing them. I focused on how the document was visually presented, how to make it more attractive and what font to use to convey the correct tone and message. I was more passionate about visual design than the technical content. From that point forward, I focused on changing my career to work as a graphic designer. I fell back on my undergraduate desktop publishing classes, art classes and photography classes. For the next 4 years, I worked as a graphic designer gaining experience in product/packaging design and commercial design. I learned about printing - direct mail and variable data and prepress as well as how to work with clients. I soaked up everything I could learn from co-workers and mentors.

I never want to stop learning about graphic design. I want to learn more and expand my skills beyond what I can through work. Pursuing graduate studies at SCAD will help me to grow in my education and understanding of design principles, design elements and inspiration. I want to strengthen the skills that I have learned during my undergraduate studies and on-the-job experience and learn new skills that will help me to further grow and develop as a designer.

As a Savannah native, I have always known the SCAD name and looked to it as a prestigious institute for the artfully minded. SCAD carries a great reputation for producing creative, innovative, and blah individuals. I look forward to soaking up everything I can from SCAD: the skills and lessons from professors, peers and course work. I am excited to have an opportunity to learn from others in the program and hopefully share some insights with them as well.
nicoler22 3 / 4  
This essay needs to be made more personal. Use specific examples or a specific moment when you realized you loved graphic design, for example. You have too many cliche terms. SCAD wants to know about YOU not about graphic design as much.

Some errors:

I enjoy the challenge of taking an abstract idea or concept and giving it a visual identity or transforming it into a communicable message.
The word "communicable" is very awkward.

I was scared to be creative and express myself thorugh through my work for others to see and critique so I stiffeled (I'm not sure what that word even means) the feeling in college to be a graphic designer.

viaully --> Visually

how the document was viaully presented, what font was used to convey the tone and message, etc.
Using etc. is just demonstrating that you have nothing else to write. Be more specific and this is a perfect place for you to be personal!!

a s a --> as* a

expereince --> spelled like this: experience

learend --> learned

Pursuing studies at SCAD continues will continue my education and understanding
want to strenthen the skills that I learned during my undergraduate studies and on-the-job expereince and learn new skills that will help me grow and develop as a graphic designer.

orward to gleaning from SCAD the skills and lessons from professors, peers and courses.

that whole area needs a lot of work. You have many grammatical errors and this needs to be more from your experience. Perhaps reflect on the day you realized you wanted to do graphic design.
OP owlgal 1 / 1  
Thank you for your comments.

Home / Graduate / MA Graphic Design SOP - "to be creative and express myself"