(green energy / India / engineering skills / business community) YALE SOM

eagerbeaver 1 / 1  
The word limit is 150 words for each response.

1. What are your professional goals immediately after you receive your MBA?
The key to a sustainable future lies in starting rapidly developing economies such as India and China on sustainable development paths. My 3 years of work experience at one of the leading and most devoted sustainable development research institutions in India (ABC) and interactions with such experts as Professor BBB at Yale have strongly convinced me of this reality. However, At ABC, my work on various research, consultancy and development projects related to sustainable development exposed me to the complex nature of the sustainable development problem. My interactions with government agencies, industry, international agencies, development banks and civil society have taught me the invincible nature of their complimentary roles as well as the difficulties involved in their working in unison. Immediately after receiving my MBA, I would like to work at an executive position with a green energy company planning and implementing Public Private Partnership projects in developing countries.

2. What are your long-term career aspirations?
In the long term, I would like to set up a green energy enterprise in India, with special focus on generating energy from municipal waste. The predominantly organic and biodegradable nature of waste in India, along with its hot and humid climate, makes this an ideal place for such projects. I became convinced of this reality while doing 'landfill methane recovery modeling' at one of the three landfill sites in Delhi, where we discovered immense potential for methane recovery from the mature landfill. However, success of such a venture would immensely depend upon the quality of waste, and hence waste management would be a very important part of the business model. A multi-pronged approach where the private sector provides capital, government provides policy support, and society plays an active role in managing waste (waste segregation) is needed to tap this immense source of energy. I intend to catalyze the collusion of these roles by being an entrepreneur in this industry.

3. Why are you choosing to pursue an MBA? (If you plan to use your Yale MBA to make a significant change in the nature of your career, please tell us what you have done to prepare for this transition.)

My engineering background and experience at ABC have given me substantial technical skills and understanding of the heart and soul of 'Green Energy' enterprise. My education so far at Yale has further broadened my understanding of environmental science and policy and convinced me of the importance of innovative entrepreneurial green ideas in ensuring a sustainable future. However, this project would require a detailed understanding of businesses, investments, finance, and management. Through Yale SOM's established curriculum and distinctive faculty, I will gain in-depth knowledge of various business functions such as marketing, finance, strategy, operations, and leadership. Through case studies, group discussions, and interactions with a class of experienced individuals from diverse backgrounds, I will widen my perspective on real-life practical cases. The emphasis of the program on team-based learning is very exciting, since satisfying the expectations of a diverse set of stakeholders (private investors, government and society) is the most challenging part of my vision.

4. The intentions of our students to engage in a broad-minded business school community and to connect to an eminent and purposeful university greatly influences the Yale MBA experience. How do you plan to be involved in the Yale SOM and greater Yale communities as a student?

During my past six months as a graduate student at Yale F&ES, I have been actively involved with 2 student interest groups (energy and Industrial ecology), and have successfully implemented an Industrial symbiosis study with 2 other students (one from Yale SOM) for Stonyfield Farm Inc., and have been working as a research assistant with 2 different research teams on 2 different projects. I also helped Mr. XYZ (renowned investor, entrepreneur, corporate eco-strategy expert) and his New York based Corporate Eco Forum (CEF) host their first corporate meeting in India. This highlights my intentions and abilities to move beyond the curriculum and explore opportunities in a wider community of scholars. My interactions with friends from SOM and faculty have convinced me that SOM is an active and lively community. I am excited to leverage the wealth of diversity reflected by more than 50 student interest groups at SOM and benefit everyone by offering my Indian experience and professional network.
hades98 6 / 39  
The key to a sustainable future lies in starting rapidly developing economies such as India and China on sustainable development paths.
Except for this, it was really good, good word choice and organization.

Review Mine Please?
tchak - / 1  
Here's my take on your essays:

1) You go into your background for most of this essay and you mention at the very end what you wanted to do. You talk more about why you wanted to get an MBA (to understand the complexity of all these factors you point out - which is good bc Yale has a big focus on understanding complexity) but you don't really answer what is motivating you to achieve your short term goals. Your experience kind of gave you exposure, but what made you passionate about it? Are you even passionate about it?

3) It just seems to me that the "meat" of your essay (answering the question of what you think you'll get out of an MBA) seems so stereotypical and unoriginal. It doesn't show me that you have a good understanding of what the school really offers. What makes this school unique? Did you even research this? It's weird bc you mention that you had graduated from there (in F&ES), so you obviously have had some physical exposure to SOM, but your answer doesn't reflect any kind of understanding of what you'll get out of SOM specifically. It just seems like you pulled your generic answer from your other admissions essays to fit the question.

4) You've answered the question of "how have you connected with SOM in the past?" but that's not what the question is asking. How are you planning on engaging with your classmates at SOM? How are you planning on using the clubs and resources that are unique to SOM? You sort of go into how you'll use the networks within Yale (outside of SOM) but even then, you're not very explicit in how you will be using those resources once you're a student at SOM
Immediately after receiving my MBA, I would like to work at an executive position with a green energy company, planning and implementing...

2.
However, success of such a venture would immensely depend---I crossed out 'immensely' here because you just had the word 'immense' in the previous sentence, making it sound repetitive.-- upon the quality of waste, and hencetherefore waste management would be a very important part of the business model.

3.
My education so far at Yale has further broadened my understanding of environmental science and policy, and has convinced me of the importance of innovative entrepreneurial green ideas in ensuring a sustainable future.

This is great, very well thought out and written.

Home / Graduate / (green energy / India / engineering skills / business community) YALE SOM