I have always harboured a keen interest in Economics and current affairs - Application for UCL MSc

leidd91 1 / 2 1  
Hi All,

I am currently drafting my personal statement to study Economic Policy at UCL, and really need feedback. Kindly recommend any suggestions and advise on how I can improve. I have already cut down the initial draft but still am unsure on how I can further reduce this draft.

I have always harboured a keen interest in Economics and current affairs, my interest became a subject of inquiry and curiosity through the extensive coverage of the 2008 financial crisis catastrophe. A desire to become more than avid laymen compelled me to pursue this field. Studying the subject during my schooling years, provided me with an in depth methodology and understanding of its paramount influence on the economy. My fascination was not just limited to finding out more about the cause of the financial crisis, an interest piqued because of its presence in contemporary issues whether it's social or political and the diversity of the different economic branches. It's a unique and a continuously growing discipline which evolves by adapting to the dynamic changing environment as seen with the rapid acceleration of globalisation. It has also proven to be useful to governments as a proven viable compass in aiding policy making decisions. I believe studying Economic policy would enable me to apply modern economics to complex contemporary issues that governments face.

During my undergraduate studies, I studied an array of modules including macroeconomics, microeconomics, behavioural economics, international economics, public economics, developments of economics analysis and econometric's. I was especially intrigued by how insights from economics and psychology could be combined to form behavioural economics to study consumers and producers interpersonal interaction and irrationality in decision-making through empirical analysis. Its effectiveness can be seen, as a number of countries are using behavioural economics in the public sector. For econometric's I familiarised myself with running regressions and forecasting techniques using statistical software such as E-Views to provide evidence and relevance to support economic theories, this made me discover how indispensable econometric's is in economic theory.

For my development of economics analysis class, I studied the history of economics beginnings from Adam Smith philosophical nature to it evolving into a technical subject otherwise known as today's mainstream economics formulated by Ricardo, Baptiste and Paul Samuelson with his book, "foundations of economic analysis" Learning about the disciplines profound inception has proven to be extremely helpful in evaluating current theories using differing schools of economic thought and dealing with real world topical issues better. I believe these attributes to be tangible to me, especially as a budding economist

In my final year I studied economic theory and policy which combined both microeconomics and macroeconomics theories from a policy making perspective. This module entailed using economic theories and maths to evaluate the policies effectiveness and implications to governments and consumers. Beyond the technical nature of maths, I was able to analyse and rationalise reasoning's through presentations and class discussions. For an assignment, I was tasked to evaluate the effectiveness of government policies through its flaws and success's in achieving its aims using graphical illustration and linear algebra; this showed me a glimpse of how useful and transparent economic theory can be in tackling government policies. I gained a conceptual understanding on mathematics role as a crucial aid to economic intuition as it gives meaning and supports economic analysis through quantifying the theories/concepts. For macroeconomics, we used analysed how the government uses aggregate demand components such as government spending to influence policy, and how these policies affects a nations trade balance and exchange rate. I chose to do a country report on Venezuela's policy reform in the past forty years, using data processing procedures and examined how its dependency on oil determined macro policy decisions.

My internship with green economics institute further confirmed my passion for research. My biggest achievement was to write an article and present a PowerPoint presentation at the event on my native countries' economic and political issues. I was able to incorporate economic theories and apply it to writing articles which included an academic paper which analysed the macro- economic instabilities that plague my native country . During this experience, I also gained invaluable skills by blind editing and reviewing academic literature- which can prove to be useful for the academic writing skills course. In addition, I was a contributing author to the books "Africa: Transition to a Green Economy" and "Green Economics & Finance".

There is a definite allure to studying at UCL as it is situated in of the most globalised cities in the world, it is a leading institution renowned known for its global reputation as the hub to esteemed academics, high quality staff and research of high caliber. UCL presents the perfect platform to further build on my solid grounding in economic theory through quantitative complexity and advanced real world application. The diversity of the module options is also an integral reason to pursue this course, with vast options such as health economics. The breadth of modules UCL offers would enable me to accumulate knowledge and insight into the different branches of economics thereby acquiring versatility which would thus help me on my goal towards a research oriented career.

Thanks guys in advance
Sumaya, for starters, what is the maximum word count for this essay? The reason I ask is because I would like to know if we still have room to further improve the essay or if we should be viewing this from an editing point of view. Right now, at over 700 words, I am inclined to think that we should be looking at making this essay shorter than it currently is.

I think that the basis for your interest in this course is not too strong. There should be some sort of reference as to what intrigued you about Economics at such a young age. Maybe an anecdote or early exposure to the business. Any information that can help explain why you said that you have always harboured a keen interest in Economics. From the way you spoke in your introduction, it sounds a lot like your interest started in childhood. Can you share how that happened with the reviewer?

You don't really need to go into great detail regarding the classes that you took. You can just discuss your favorite class and explain why that is so. Then, jump into your college thesis discussion. It should relate to Economics and allow you to present some ideas as to how your desire to attend masters studies came about. I think that you can opt for just one class discussion in your response. Just so you can lower the word count further. I doubt it will affect the overall content of the essay.

Now, since this is a personal statement for higher studies, you should try to make a connection between your academic and professional plans by giving an overview of your immediate career path. What are your specific goals upon graduation? That could be a discussion that would tie in with your dissertation or some final class research project. Anything that will show a dedication to the course you have decided to parlay into your career. Our final aim will be to make sure that the reviewer knows that you are definitely prepared to take on the demands of a masters course and that you are sure you can complete the masters classes within a specified time frame.
OP leidd91 1 / 2 1  

Hi Holt, I really appreciate your feedback and have taken it into account. However I'm still struggling on how I can further reduce some of the waffling.

I don't think there is a word count in the application form,there is a box with a limit of 3000 characters and then it say "If you wish to enter a text longer than that, please upload it below"

As a daily follower of current affairs, the commentary on macroeconomics in the media harboured my interest even before being introduced to the subject. In practical terms, the tenants of economics was already present in my life such as witnessing the process of brain drain from my native's country diaspora and the macroeconomic implications of remittances of an open economy, visiting there I saw the recent developments . However it was following the extensive coverage of the 2008 financial crisis catastrophe where the initial mere interest transpired to become a subject of curiosity. My fascination led to wanting to find out more about the cause of the financial crisis, the interest piqued because of its presence in contemporary issues whether it's social or political. Studying the subject during my schooling years ingrained/solidified my interest and shaped my perception as it informed me of economics paramount influence in the economy and provided me with an in depth methodology of understanding questions that lurked my mind, questions such as why the US has job insecurity in manufacturing and is worse off today than in the sixties despite the current advancements in the technology. This compelled me to become more than avid laymen by pursing this subject at a higher level.

Studying an array of modules including macroeconomics, microeconomics, behavioural economics, international economics, public economics, developments of economics analysis and econometrics' gave me invaluable insights and made me appreciate it's indispensability in policy making. I believe studying MSc Economic policy would further my existing understanding and ability to apply modern economics to complex contemporary issues that governments face.

I also studied macroeconomics and microeconomics from a policy making perspective. This module entailed using economic theories and maths to evaluate the policies effectiveness and implications to governments and consumers. Beyond the technical nature of maths, I was able to analyse and rationalise reasoning's through presentations and class discussions. For an assignment, I was tasked to evaluate the effectiveness of government policies through its flaws and success's in achieving its aims using graphical illustration and linear algebra; this showed me a glimpse of how useful and transparent economic theory can be in tackling government policies. I gained a conceptual understanding on mathematics role as a crucial aid to economic intuition as it gives meaning and supports economic analysis through quantifying the theories/concepts. For macroeconomics, I analysed how the government uses aggregate demand components such as government spending to influence policy, and how these policies affects a nations trade balance and exchange rate. I chose to do a country report on Venezuela's policy reform in the past forty years, using data processing procedures and examined how its dependency on oil determined macro policy decisions. I believe the theoretical knowledge I acquired from this module to be transferable especially in dealing with real world topical issues better. It was tangible in reinforcing my plans to tackle macroeconomic problems from a policy making angle and delve further into this niche. Studying MSc economic policy would give the tools and an encompassing view into the world of economic policy making from a real world perspective. Fortunately pursuing this field for my career aim is not just limited or narrowed to working in policy, there are a plethora of jobs which I can apply my skills to. As a persevering individual with an immense yearn to learn, I believe I'd greatly benefit from UCL's role as a global leader in policy making.

[...]
Sandy, I suggest that you open with the financial crisis of 2008 instead of the current opening that you have now. The character count should go down to around 4851 if you do that. Then jump immediately to the paragraph talking about the array of modules that you followed. That discussion cuts to the chase and allows you come down to 4334 characters, leading to a shorter but more informative essay. There is also no need to give the module description. That just sounds like a filler sentence at this point. Its removal will result in a 4193 word count.

Before I go any further with reducing the word count, I would like to call your attention to the paragraph that includes a description about your assignment that you did on Venezuela. It is running too long and contains multiple topics in a paragraph that should be divided into topic paragraphs instead. I suggest that you divide that paragraph as I suggest and then review it again. I have a feeling that you can lower the word count further if you can figure out how to summarize the discussions presented.

Now, when an application box tells you that it works best with a 3000 word count, it is best to aim for that maximum count, even if they have an option for a longer essay to be uploaded. Sometimes, the reviewers prefer to read the shorter, but more informative essays as opposed to lengthy, wordy essays that isn't really as interesting as the writer thinks it is. I am not saying your work is bad. What I am pointing out, is that your essay will benefit from more editing. Unfortunately, only you can decide which parts are irrelevant or can be shortened. I can only offer suggestions up to a certain point.
OP leidd91 1 / 2 1  

Hi Holt, I appreciate your suggestions. Please check the revisions I've made, thanks alot in advance.

As an avid follower of current affairs and contemporary issues, the commentary on macroeconomics in the media harboured my interest prior to being introduced to the subject in school. However it was following the extensive coverage of the 2008 financial crisis catastrophe where the initial mere interest transpired to become a subject of curiosity. My fascination led wanting to learn more about the processes which led to such a global phenomenon, completing a class project on John Maynard Keynes furthered my knowledge and exposure on gaining an conceptual understanding of different economic theories. Studying an array of modules including behavioural economics and public economics at university made me appreciate the disciplines diversity and take into account consumers' behaviour from an alternative standpoint rather than the general neo classical viewpoint.

I also studied macroeconomics and microeconomics from a policy making perspective. For an assignment, I was tasked to evaluate the effectiveness of government policies for consumers and government through its flaws and success's in achieving its aims through graphical illustration and calculus; this showed me a glimpse of how useful economic theory can be in tackling government policies. Solving constrained maximisation problems to analyse policies effectiveness was a crucial aid as it empirically rationalised my economic intuition.

In macroeconomics, I analysed how the government uses aggregate demand components such as government spending to influence policy, and how these policies affects a nations trade balance and exchange rate. I chose to do a country report on Venezuela's policy reform in the past forty years, using data processing procedures and examined how its dependency on oil determined macro policy decisions. For econometrics I familiarised myself with running regressions and forecasting techniques using statistical software such as E-Views to support economic theory through making it quantifiable. I believe it to be indispensable in policy making due to the uncertain nature of economic policies.

I believe the theoretical knowledge and invaluable insight I acquired from the modules I studied to be transferable especially in dealing with real world topical issues better. It is tangible in reinforcing my plans to tackle economic problems from a policy making angle and delve further into this niche. Studying MSc economic policy would give me the tools and an encompassing view into the world of economic policy from a real world perspective. Fortunately pursuing this field for my career aim is not just limited or narrowed to working in policy, there are a plethora of jobs which I can apply my skills to. As a persevering individual with an immense yearn to learn, I believe I'd greatly benefit from UCL's role as a global leader in policy making.

My internship with green economics institute further confirmed my passion for research. My biggest achievement was to write an article and present a PowerPoint presentation at the event on my native countries' economic and political issues. I was able to incorporate economic theories and apply it to writing articles which included an academic paper which analysed the macro- economic instabilities that plague my native country. During this experience, I also gained invaluable skills through blind editing and reviewing academic literature- which can prove to be useful for the academic writing skills course. In addition, I was a contributing author to the books "Africa: Transition to a Green Economy" and "Green Economics & Finance", which gave me a taste of research.

There is a definite allure to studying at UCL as it is situated in of the most globalised cities in the world, it is a leading institution renowned known for its global reputation as the hub to esteemed academics, high quality staff and research of high calibre. UCL presents the perfect platform to further build on my solid grounding in economic theory through quantitative complexity and advanced real world application. The diversity of the module options is also an integral reason to pursue this course, with vast options such as health economics. The breadth of modules offered would enable me to accumulate more knowledge and ability to apply modern economics to complex contemporary issues that governments face thereby helping me on my goal towards a research oriented career.

Home / Graduate / I have always harboured a keen interest in Economics and current affairs - Application for UCL MSc